HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:47 PM

Would you pay to gate your driveway if your neighbours kept parking in it?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 12:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Would you pay to gate your driveway if your neighbours kept parking in it?
These parking lots are not at all synonymous with your driveway.

They are a profit making enterprise patrolled by trained extortionists, who's scam is to immobilize your personal property and deprive you of it's use and enjoyment until a ransom is paid (in cash). These thieves are surly and discourteous and serve as judge, jury and executioner. There is no right of appeal.

"So, you're from out of town, didn't know the parking rules, had to get to your lawyer's office about your disability payment (which is in arrears) and you were going to miss your appointment. I don't f'ing care that you only have $50 bucks in the bank. That doesn't matter Jack shit to me. All I know is that you owe me $175 (in undeclarable) cash and if you don't pay up in the next two hours, I'll have your car towed. If you don't have the f'ing money then you had better start panhandling to get it!!. The God damned clock is ticking". Joe Booter then chuckles under his breath and points to his watch.

These vile and unregulated extortionists cannot be tolerated. If we are to protect these private lots, then gates, fences and key cards are the way to go.........

My lot at the hospital is behind a gate and I need a key card to access it. Why should the downtown lots be any different?????

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I do agree but the city, the company Parking Solutions inc., and private parking lot owners would have to do a 180 on there thinking of the issues, and solutions.

Most owners din't seem to want to add gates after the issue with the private parking lot that has entrances/exits at St George, Lutz, and Archibald. Someone had supposedly damaged the gate on Lutz with there vehicle (Took out the gate out completely).
That's not an excuse though, damage happens everywhere.. If you want your spot to be private and you are paying good money for it, then they should be able to install a gate and install it.. Especially since 4 of the downtown lots aren't even paved...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 PM

Personally, (and admittedly I am not usually a driver and I'm not down to Moncton often, so I don't really count in two respects), I wouldn't be against cities being able to apply basic standards to private (rented) parking.

Standards like:

* Must have gated entrance (Automated or manned)
* Must be paved
* Must have marked parking spots. (Numbered/labelled/assigned parking is optional)

Similarly, even public parking would at least need to be paved with marked spots; gates optional.

Basically, there should be no more of this "Tear down a building, cover the lot with gravel and rent it out for parking."

And if/when we do get into those situations where a building is torn down, then access to the lot should be blocked with a permanent blockade (chain, boulders, whatever across the driveway(s)) until the site is repurposed. That way, the owner can't just tear it down and have unofficial parking there to try and skirt the regulations above.

With the above, the city would have more control over what becomes parking space, and it would make the parking lots look a bit better in general.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good point.

Surface parking in the downtown core is a blight at the best of times, but a poorly maintained dirt parking lot with weeds growing everywhere is even worse (especially with a pick-up sitting in the corner of the lot piloted by a slovenly Boot Nazi picking his nose).

Far better to have minimum standards for private for profit parking lots in the city.
- paving with lines marked.
- fenced in
- gated
- curbs and maybe even some shrubbery

If you're going to have surface parking, at least make it look presentable, and at the same time get rid of the odious practice of booting!!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And, just to prove that such a radical concept is possible in downtown Moncton, behold the following:

In addition to the large proposed parking lot across the tracks from the new Events Centre, Heritage Resources (owners of Heritage Court) are also planning a couple of new smaller off site parking lots in the downtown south of Main Street.

If you look closely at the site plans, you can see pavement (complete with lines), fencing and some shrubbery. I must admit I don't know about a gate, but the larger lot across from the Events Centre will be gated (and for pay for events centre parking).

I also don't see a booter in sight.

Such things are indeed possible in downtown Moncton!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 8:20 PM

http://downtownmoncton.com/downtown-parking/
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted by this map shows downtown parking, which ones are free on evenings and weekends, which ones will boot your vehicle and which ones will tow it, and the hourly and or monthly rates.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 10:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

Moncton building permits are firing on all cylinders
July 25, 2016

MONCTON – City of Moncton building permits have had a very strong showing in the second quarter of 2016, easily exceeding the same period over the past ten years.

The total value of permits for the three months ending June 30 came in at $122 million, up from $37.8 million during the same period last year. Without factoring the $74.8 million permit for the Downtown Centre, the quarter still improved by 24% over last year.

“It is really encouraging to see so much action, especially the burst of construction activity happening in our Downtown,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “We believe there is great momentum right now that is spurring new projects and new investment in our City.”

Residential building permits were particularly strong at $24.1 million for the quarter, up from $8.4 million in Q2 of last year. The quarter saw a good mix of single family dwellings, duplexes, row house construction along the Salisbury Road, and a major addition to an apartment building on Lewisville Road. Institutional permits accounted for $4.75 million or 3.9 per cent of the quarter’s activity, largely shared between renovations at the Moncton Hospital and Harrison Trimble High School.

Commercial activity in the second quarter included $4.3 million in additions at Organigram, $800,000 in new office/retail space on Mountain Road near Gorge Road, as well as a good number of renovation projects. These included sites such as Iron Mountain, Fedex, the retail area at 165 Main St., Altec Construction, and a training facility at Heritage Court for WestJet. Excluding the Downtown Centre, there were 90 commercial permits issued in the quarter valued at $16.8 million – compared with 61 permits worth $9.2 million over the same period last year.

The total number of permits issued year-to-date is 604 – the highest over the past 10 years – and up sharply from 451 during the first half of 2015. The total value year-to-date is just shy of $164 million, where it was nearly $47 million ahead of this time last year.

The City’s Economic Development team also continues to nurture relationships that are bringing new development and opportunities into the City.

“We’re really focused on bringing a concierge approach to investors and developers,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We want to help facilitate investment activity from concept to opening, and beyond – which has a huge impact on confidence when choosing to build in Moncton.”

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:13 PM

I'm hearing rumors of a government announcement tomorrow with funds for a causeway replacement - anybody hearing anything?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I'm hearing rumors of a government announcement tomorrow with funds for a causeway replacement - anybody hearing anything?
Hearing this as well since late last week but just talk, nothing solid. I don't think it will be tomorrow as that's the day they rename the airport in honour of Dominic's dad.
Even though I highly doubt it will happen Thursday, I hope it's true!

Edit: Did some poking around and just learned there is a news conference at Moncton city hall tomorrow afternoon for a big infrastructure announcment. So you never know!

Last edited by L'homard; Aug 18, 2016 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:39 PM

What are they doing along the causeway right now? I drove by this afternoon and there was a huge machine, looked like the ones they use to drive piles. I am sure I'm wrong, but they looked like they were up to something.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
What are they doing along the causeway right now? I drove by this afternoon and there was a huge machine, looked like the ones they use to drive piles. I am sure I'm wrong, but they looked like they were up to something.
Getting an early start before they announce funding haha ?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Getting an early start before they announce funding haha ?
I actually wouldn't be surprised. I also heard that had to do with a new bridge and I don't think it's typically equipment just to do maintenance on the causeway. They were certainly drilling - could be soil samples?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:13 PM

I have not driven the causeway in a long time, what are the expectations for the configuration of a bridge? I have heard hopes for the removal of the roundabout on the Moncton side, but what would be planned for Riverview and what will become of the at-grade crossing to Baig Boulevard?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post

soil samples?
Yes.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I have not driven the causeway in a long time, what are the expectations for the configuration of a bridge? I have heard hopes for the removal of the roundabout on the Moncton side, but what would be planned for Riverview and what will become of the at-grade crossing to Baig Boulevard?
@Franco401

Behold:

I have heard nothing to suggest they are planning to remove the Causeway Traffic Circle. The CNR mainline causes real problems in reconfiguring the Salisbury Rd/Main St/Wheeler Blvd intersection.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make the big announcement to replace the causeway this week. This has been a big pet project of Dominic LeBlanc for a long time, and would follow hot on the heels of the renaming ceremony at the GMIA in honour of his father, and the announcement of the new major medical research institute for ACRI, the UdeM medical school and the GDH (and the announcement of new funding to renovate the Capitol/Empress Theatre and the Aberdeen Cultural Centre).

These announcements often come in batches.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was interesting to see (hear) a new segment on Information Morning on CBC Radio this AM.

It was called"and what are they building now?"

The segment will allow members of the public to write or call in to the program about projects around the city that they are wondering about. There's just so much construction going on, the public apparently can't keep track..........

I kinda wonder if this segment wasn't inspired a bit by online forums such as ours.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;7534722]It was interesting to see (hear) a new segment on Information Morning on CBC Radio this AM.

It was called"and what are they building now?"

The segment will allow members of the public to write or call in to the program about projects around the city that they are wondering about. There's just so much construction going on, the public apparently can't keep track..........
QUOTE]

I'm going to ask them what is going on in front of the CBC's own building?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:45 AM

Heh, in Freddy's case, they could do a "What road are they tearing up now?" Freddy's building construction seems a bit down; but I swear there isn't a road in the city that doesn't have a crew doing something on it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:10 PM

Per City of Moncton FB page, Codiac Transpo is now included in Google Transit’s trip planning tool.

https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces