HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
^In regards to the last two -- Argentina never had a large presence of Africans to begin with same for Uruguay most of their immigrants came from Europe especially Italy.
That's not really true:

https://www.ibtimes.com/blackout-how...cience-1289381

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 12:18 AM
The New Republic

I don't think people outside Canada are generally aware of Canada period.... so the answer is no.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:16 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Midwesterners are obsessed with Canada and my rural parents, of the storied flyover, have been to MANY more major cities in Canada than myself. In my opinion its not really a big thing in the U.S. that Americans wouldnt know, with exception, and that goes for all of the Commonwealth at this point.

Now in China, it might be.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jan 27, 2020 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:59 AM
恭喜发财!

Chinese people definitely know there's lots of Chinese in Canada. When I tell people here that I'm Canadian, they almost invariably start talking about how many Chinese people there are in Canada and how they know somebody who's living in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Chinese people definitely know there's lots of Chinese in Canada. When I tell people here that I'm Canadian, they almost invariably start talking about how many Chinese people there are in Canada and how they know somebody who's living in Canada.
lol i mean outside of say shanghai.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:11 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Midwesterners are obsessed with Canada.
We are?

As a lifelong midwesterner, I can't recall ever meeting anyone in this region who was obsessed with Canada, or even terribly interested in it.

From my experiences, Midwesterners seem to be like most other Americans when it comes to Canada: from the mildly interested to the entirely indifferent/ignorant.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
We are?

As a lifelong midwesterner I can't recall ever meeting anyone in this region who was obsessed with Canada, or even terribly interested in it.

From my experiences, Midwesterners seem to be like most other Americans when it comes to Canada: from the mildly interested to the entirely indifferent/ignorant.
haha maybe just my parents then, they’ve been to most canadian provinces. myself just ontario and bc.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:01 PM

I suppose many Americans on here are more curious about certain Canadian cities vs the country or racial demographics itself. I myself am aware of Idaho, but am more curious about Boise. San Fran has a lot of Asians, but the city is what I'm interested in. I just learned on here that Chicago had a large Mexican born population, and I was kind of meh on that fact, so I imagine it would be the same for outsiders learning about the Aian demographics in Canada.."Show me Montreal street festival pictures!"

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:32 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Unfortunately, that was short lived that's why they only make up about 0.4% of the population.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
Unfortunately, that was short lived that's why they only make up about 0.4% of the population.
I wouldn't say it was "short lived," either. People of African descent made up a substantial portion of the humans living in Argentina for most of its colonial history. Some estimates suggest that Argentina was between 30-50% African at one point. The historian Henry Louis Gates wrote a pretty in-depth piece about what is believed to have happened to Argentina's African population:

https://www.theroot.com/true-or-fals...ina-1790876367

It should strike anyone as odd that Argentina, which is as much a product of European colonialism as Brazil or the United States, would have few visual traces of Africans today. It doesn't make sense that this one place did not do what all of the places surrounding it did.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
It should strike anyone as odd that Argentina, which is as much a product of European colonialism as Brazil or the United States, would have few visual traces of Africans today. It doesn't make sense that this one place did not do what all of the places surrounding it did.

Admittedly I had no idea of the history of Argentina's African population, however, their relatively small numbers today never struck me as odd. The countries in the Americas with historically large black populations are those where the plantation economy flourished - which for many (Canada, Northern US, Mexico, Chile, etc) was never the case. I'd have otherwise assumed that was the case for Argentina as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I doubt most non-Canadians are aware of the demographic nuances of Canada. Most Americans probably aren't aware of the demographic nuances of their own country.
I was at the skating ribbon in Maggie Daley Park here in downtown Chicago with my nephews on Saturday and overheard someone - someone white and probably from the 'burbs - say, "I'm surprised to see so many minorities. . . "

I don't think this person was referring to latino or black folks but many young people from far-east and south Asia out enjoying the day. . . [/anecdote]

. . .

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
It seems like many people, even some Americans fairly close to the Canadian border, are surprised to see so many Asian Canadians (in cities at least). That demographic doesn't seem to be as well known outside Canada (except for family members of Asian Canadians abroad).

Canada is 17.7% of Asian descent (not quite comparable with the definition of Asian American, since it includes those of "West Asian" (mideastern) descent but still very high by western hemisphere standards). That means about 1 out of every 5-6 Canadians (also close to the proportion that Hispanic Americans are in the US).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Canadians

Ontario, with 3.1 million Asian Canadians and British Columbia with 1.3 million (the two Canadian provinces with the largest numbers) are up there with California's over 5.5 million Asian Americans and New York state's 1.6 million (the two US states with the largest number).
For consistency, 14.2% of Canadians are Asian if you use the "Asian American" definition. About the same as California percentage-wise.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
For consistency, 14.2% of Canadians are Asian if you use the "Asian American" definition. About the same as California percentage-wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayser View Post
In Australia, it's around 16% according to wikipedia which draws the data from the 2016 census: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Australians

Our next census is in 2021 and given most NOM is from the Asian region, I'd expect the number to steadily increase too.
Okay, so Australia beats both (Canada and California) in % slightly, considering Australia's definition also excludes west Asians or mid-easterners. I had thought either Canada or Australia was the most % Asian in the English-speaking west.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I don't think most people ever wonder about the demographic nuances of Canada. But I get surprised at the demographics of a lot of places, both in the U.S. and all over the world. Here are a few off the top of my head:
  • (East) Asians in west coast cities (U.S. and Canada), particularly in the SF Bay Area and Vancouver, are far more visible than they are in any major city in the eastern U.S.
  • When I first visited Paris there were a lot more people of sub-Saharan African descent than I was aware.
  • Berlin hardly feels German at all because everybody there seems like they are from some other part of the world. Turks are the well-known most visible group, but there were also a lot of people from all parts of Europe, as well as a few Africans.
  • I was surprised at how many mixed black and Japanese people I encountered in Tokyo.
  • Counter to my experience in Tokyo, I don't recall encountering any mixed black and Korean people when I visited there. But I have only visited Korea once, and I spent most of my time in Korea away from Seoul.
  • I was surprised at how few people of African descent there are in Argentina.
  • Santiago de Chile has a ton of Haitians for some reason.
Seems like while many people are vaguely aware that other countries have diverse minorities, it still seems to pale in comparison to the awareness that people have of the US' own demographics.

People all over the world know about say African Americans but the African diaspora in other countries gets overlooked.

Also, the Asian diaspora isn't as well known in the western countries (aside from Asian Americans and Asians from Asia itself).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I thought Hong Kong would be the city most aware of the Asian Canadian demographic -- it's got the highest population of Canadian citizens (including and probably heavily influenced by immigrant returnees) of cities outside Canada or the US.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Midwesterners are obsessed with Canada and my rural parents, of the storied flyover, have been to MANY more major cities in Canada than myself. In my opinion its not really a big thing in the U.S. that Americans wouldnt know, with exception, and that goes for all of the Commonwealth at this point.

Now in China, it might be.
Quote:
Actually, I'm surprised that it's actually often Asians from Asia that are surprisingly unaware of their own diasporas. Makes sense thinking about it though because Asian countries are just so much more populous than their diasporas (e.g. billions of Chinese or Indians vs. few millions of Chinese Americans or Canadians). By contrast, say Ireland has its diaspora much more populous than the old country (many more Irish Americans that the few million in the old country). A Chinese person can live in his or her own country thinking or assuming the only fellow Chinese people they'll see are also Chinese from China. Not Chinese from London, or Chinese from Manila, or Vancouver or Orange County etc. Those might be off their radar, unless they are cosmopolitan in outlook.

Never been to China, but I've noticed that the most recently arrived mainland Chinese immigrants often don't realize that previous Chinese immigrants have a prior history in the west (e.g. Chinatowns dating to the 1800s) long before themselves. I've heard Asian-Americans and Asian-Canadians travel to Asia and apparently sometimes that confuses the locals (e.g. they don't understand why someone who looks Asian doesn't speak their language or identifies as "Canadian" or "American" and sometimes even assume that Canada is overwhelmingly white).

By contrast, say Africans from Africa, when they arrive in the west, seem more aware that there is an African diaspora in the west already that preceded them, such as African Americans, Afro-Latinos etc.

Last edited by Capsicum; Jan 28, 2020 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:52 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
I travel all over the country for work and I get these kind of comments from Chinese people pretty much everywhere I visit - and not just in the big cities, I go to a lot of pretty remote / rural areas too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

as for awareness in general, when i was a kid on the shores of lake erie they used to accept canada money, coins anyway, one to one with usa money at the local corner stores, even though it was never one to one.

otherwise, canada was always in the mix for vacations, but that's about it and no more or less than anywhere else. like my parents went to niagara falls, my grandparents to nova scotia, stuff like that. i do have a french canadian aunt from montreal in cleveland, so i recall talking to her about montreal and frenchy stuff from time to time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions