HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:46 PM

I think the South Loop has the most inventory of vacant lots and easily clearable lots (junky old buildings that can be demolished without any tears shed) close to downtown. If you include Cermak, there's just tons of lots ready to go. Between the Wells-Wentworth connector, the new green line station, this new transit connector that's back in the news, and all of the development going on around McCormick, a lot of property in the South Loop has or will transform from garbage to highly desirable.

Interesting things are happening all over town, and West Loop has lots of potential still, but nowhere else in the downtown area has as much empty ground. Building elsewhere means tricky site constraints, expensive rehabs of existing buildings, or evicting tenants and knocking stuff down.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 8:55 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

The south loop is a great location it just needs more development, it's actually pretty affordable as well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:53 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Shops and restaurants that are attractive enough in the modern world to make a neighborhood seem desirable to new residents are also ones that will attract a portion of their custom from elsewhere in the city. Compare Printers Row Dearborn Street (local trade only) with Wabash near of Roosevelt (a mini Restaurant Row that attracts some visitors). Which makes the city more attractive to new residents?
River North is beyond the pale, jam-packed with clubs and restaurants fed by tourists equally with locals.

South Loop won't follow that trajectory - it doesn't have the same concentration of hotels or shopping, so it won't attract the tourists. It's also on the wrong side of downtown for Northsiders to access conveniently for a night out. Does Wabash really lure people from across the city because of its fine dining? To me it seems like the spots there (Eleven City, Firehouse, etc) are highly neighborhood-focused. The few clubs that do exist in the South Loop tend to be oriented towards African-Americans.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 2:13 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
River North is beyond the pale, jam-packed with clubs and restaurants fed by tourists equally with locals.

South Loop won't follow that trajectory - it doesn't have the same concentration of hotels or shopping, so it won't attract the tourists. It's also on the wrong side of downtown for Northsiders to access conveniently for a night out. Does Wabash really lure people from across the city because of its fine dining? To me it seems like the spots there (Eleven City, Firehouse, etc) are highly neighborhood-focused. The few clubs that do exist in the South Loop tend to be oriented towards African-Americans.
^ That's what people might have said about River North 25 or 30 years ago.

Also, the South Loop is very convenient for north siders. It's just a few more stops on the L, really...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:15 AM

And yeah, south loop doesn't have those things now, we're talking about the potential for those things to come in the future.

River North had that sudden swell of high-end residential, combined with lots of underutilized older buildings that were easy to gut and turn into nightclubs and restaurants with lofts on top, which combined to help the neighborhood define its culture practically overnight. South Loop doesn't have that (West Loop does), but instead it has a lot of vacant land. It won't develop the same as River North did, but it will develop all the same.

Since it will be driven largely by new construction, I don't think the sloop will ever have the character as the other neighborhoods. It'll probably feel maybe more like Streeterville, with the street level scene dictated by designed spaces carved out of highrises. There's fewer opportunities for a savvy restauranteur to turn frumpy warehouses into amazing hotspots, and pretty much every structure that could be converted into residential already has been, but the potential is still huge.

Still, it's going to be a while.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Also, the South Loop is very convenient for north siders. It's just a few more stops on the L, really...
On the weekend, It's just tough getting past "the loop, the place I have to go to work". Once I'm south past Jackson it's all good.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:29 AM

I have the same problem visiting friends up north. "Ugh, I have to go all the way through a major metropolitan downtown area to get there!" Almost makes me wonder if an express line that skipped everything between Harrison and Chicago would be a good idea.

No, it would not be.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:28 PM

^^ I read Haywards comment as it is more of a cognitive barrier that an actual time or physical inconvenience.

I often hear similar comments from people when I tell them I live so close to downtown. People, for whatever reason, often can't compartmentalize very well and can irrationally lump/categorize large things by narrow criteria.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:01 PM

Personally I think the near SW side along Taylor Street and down into Pilsen has more of a potential to go the way of River North than the South Loop when it comes to night life. Especially if the planned rapid redevelopment of the IMD occurs. The precedence is there for much higher densities than most neighborhoods that far out, probably exceeding that of River North if they build out the rest of the IMD along the lines of the core district and that new proposal that Higgins dropped out on.

Taylor Street has always had a nice bar scene, but the perfect storm of the redevelopment of Pilsen, the redevelopment of IMD, spread of growth to the north in the West loop, and continued growth from UIC could really push that area to the next level. Just need to start mopping up the IMD land like they are mopping up the Cabrini Land. There were some small skyscraper proposals from IMD during the last boom right? I remember a big one proposed on Blue Island, anyone have a link to that? A few projects like that could be the same kind of catalyst that the Sono Towers and New City seem to be for the Cabrini Lands.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:20 PM

MDP in context

Last edited by wierdaaron; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The precedence is there for much higher densities than most neighborhoods that far out
Roosevelt Square, plus all the shitty urban renewal-era garden apartments and public housing east of Ashland. IMD is more of a 9-to-5 employment center, dead at night, than the Loop ever was. Their track record has them giving away land to one nonprofit group after another, plus questionable suburban-style retail, all with terrible inefficient land use.

The only way this area turns out better is if CHA and Related miraculously find a way to do mid-rises for the remaining phases of Roosevelt Square.

Quote:
There were some small skyscraper proposals from IMD during the last boom right? I remember a big one proposed on Blue Island, anyone have a link to that?
Yeah, this was the former Testa Produce site. Seems to be officially dead, given that the site is on the market.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:30 AM

Zoning commission approved a zoning change that one cool proposed condo building at 61 W Erie.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Roosevelt Square, plus all the shitty urban renewal-era garden apartments and public housing east of Ashland. IMD is more of a 9-to-5 employment center, dead at night, than the Loop ever was. Their track record has them giving away land to one nonprofit group after another, plus questionable suburban-style retail, all with terrible inefficient land use.

The only way this area turns out better is if CHA and Related miraculously find a way to do mid-rises for the remaining phases of Roosevelt Square.
I'm not suggesting the IMD will become a nightlife center, I'm saying places like 18th street and Taylor Street have the potential to develop into something special a la River North or West Loop if the IMD is ever built out to any degree. I think the precedent is set for midrise and highrise development to Damen and a few blocks beyond. I also think we are going to continue to see the IMD fill in and become a North/Clyborn like mix of auto oriented retail and residences. But, unlike North and Clyborn, the Taylor Street and Pilsen areas are also directly adjacent to an enormous employment center and an enormous University. In fact, the area seems to have even more potential if you consider the lands North towards United Center. Someday these lands are going to start to redevelop and there are a lot more built in draws to these areas. It's only a matter of time before we see a shift to the W and SW especially as places like River North and Cabrini Green and West Loop fill in.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Zoning commission approved a zoning change that one cool proposed condo building at 61 W Erie.
Nice!! That's one of my favorites

Source: Hudson Construction Services:
http://www.hudsoncontractors.com/en/...1st_Review.jpg

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Nice!! That's one of my favorites

Source: Hudson Construction Services:
http://www.hudsoncontractors.com/en/...1st_Review.jpg
Nice! I was trying to find a pic of it. So cool. This one kept getting deferred at every meeting for like 4 months. Finally approved, though the PDF says "with conditions" - whatever that means.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:09 PM

Renderings are out for the new restaurant to be built on the southern end of MD Park. IT looks pretty good actually. Will be nice to be able to walk to a vista point on the roof.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...ec31-173143073

Maybe someone can pull the images from this article?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^ Word.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:53 PM
The City

^ Wow, that's going to be nice

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM

Just saw a building permit to convert Unity Hall at 3140 S Indiana from "religious use" to 21 dwelling units. This includes exterior renovations. This building is a national landmark. The article below the picture says it will be market rate student housing.

http://thegapcocommunication.blogspo...developed.html

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:03 PM
The City

^ More investments in this area as such is a good sign

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development