HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 10:53 PM

^^^ So what's the alternative? Fewer entrances so you need fewer elevators? Last I checked ADA doesn't require every single exit and stairwell to be accessible. You don't have to have exits on every corner either, just maybe 4 of them so that you can cross the two busiest streets below grade since you aren't really going to see that much traffic on ogden. What would be really sick is if were had a big enough station here to justify that many entrances just for the CTA. It would be an awesome rebranding of this area simply to redo it as a circle, but someday it could also become a subway hub if a circulator subway under Chicago ever became a thing.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:01 AM
Closed account

Clark and Chestnu

I Hadn't seen this rendering of those townhomes at Clark and Chestnut; gives a better perspective than that other one floating around.

i don't hate it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ So what's the alternative? Fewer entrances so you need fewer elevators? Last I checked ADA doesn't require every single exit and stairwell to be accessible. You don't have to have exits on every corner either, just maybe 4 of them so that you can cross the two busiest streets below grade since you aren't really going to see that much traffic on ogden. What would be really sick is if were had a big enough station here to justify that many entrances just for the CTA. It would be an awesome rebranding of this area simply to redo it as a circle, but someday it could also become a subway hub if a circulator subway under Chicago ever became a thing.
I'd say the alternative is to not have an island in the first place, let alone an island with a subway entrance. Given that Ogden now dead ends two blocks north at the river, I don't see any reason it should continue north of the intersection at all (the railroad underpass can be served by Carpenter instead).

Just angle the part of Ogden south of the intersection a smidge west to line up with May St, and you'll have a nice compact walkable 5-cornered intersection instead of the 14-corner triple compound intersection we have today.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:20 AM
TL;DR

I think the best thing here is to tear down the Concentra/Baum building at the northeast corner and build a plaza there to open up vistas of the church. Close off Carpenter so that the church steps flow into the plaza, and put the remaining bits of Ogden on a road diet down to one lane.

Public space here is meaningless unless anchored by good architecture. The only good architecture here is the church and school. Plus, that CVS needs to go. Period.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think the best thing here is to tear down the Concentra/Baum building at the northeast corner and build a plaza there to open up vistas of the church. Close off Carpenter so that the church steps flow into the plaza, and put the remaining bits of Ogden on a road diet down to one lane.

Public space here is meaningless unless anchored by good architecture. The only good architecture here is the church and school. Plus, that CVS needs to go. Period.
I disagree about the plaza. The areas around CTA stations should be developed densely, not converted to large plazas. And the need for walkable density is especially urgent in River West, which is somewhat hemmed in by the expressway, river, and trains.

And that's not to mention that the city shouldn't take and tear down buildings because you think they're ugly, or give de facto gifts to churches.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:26 PM

Not that it's big news or anything, but the stupid suburban Subway at Western & Haddon (just south of Division - https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9019...8i6656!6m1!1e1) and parking lot are getting torn down and a developer is trying to build a 6 unit + 2 commercial space building there.

I hate walking in that area and seeing that stupid parking lot + suburban Subway. Let's hope the developer gets all the permits needed (they are in process but yesterday got the landscape review denied).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
I'd say the alternative is to not have an island in the first place, let alone an island with a subway entrance. Given that Ogden now dead ends two blocks north at the river, I don't see any reason it should continue north of the intersection at all (the railroad underpass can be served by Carpenter instead).

Just angle the part of Ogden south of the intersection a smidge west to line up with May St, and you'll have a nice compact walkable 5-cornered intersection instead of the 14-corner triple compound intersection we have today.
Yeah, I'm not proposing retaining any islands either, just a small garden in the center of a traffic circle. The problem with traffic circles is that they tend to be difficult for pedestrians since traffic entering them doesn't have a light. So my proposal would be to build a new station under the circle and have 4 different entrances (N, S, E, W essentially) that can also be used by pedestrians to cross under the intersection without hazarding interaction with traffic flow.

Also, I agree, we should not be clear cutting and pushing buildings back from train stops, we should be cramming things in next to them. Raze the CVS and Baum buildings and build 30 floor highrises in each location.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:

That's what I was thinking--I wanted whatever open space to be connected to the church without any intervening roadways. If that CVS and bank property could be turned into some kind of adaptive space, maybe set up for mobile vendors and with proper infrastructure for them, then carpenter could either be closed or turned into an Argyle-style shared street to forge a connection to the new development at the Gonnella site. That development is supposed to have a "pedestrian plaza" at ground level.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:58 PM

Demolition to "begin within a month" for the Mega Mall project:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...th-grocery-gym

Good riddance, this project out of all the ones in Logan will probably have the biggest impact in tying together the actual sqaure with the fancy pants hipster district at California.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not that it's big news or anything, but the stupid suburban Subway at Western & Haddon (just south of Division - https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9019...8i6656!6m1!1e1) and parking lot are getting torn down and a developer is trying to build a 6 unit + 2 commercial space building there.

I hate walking in that area and seeing that stupid parking lot + suburban Subway. Let's hope the developer gets all the permits needed (they are in process but yesterday got the landscape review denied).
Glad, and the more crap like this that gets torn down/replaced the better.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Demolition to "begin within a month" for the Mega Mall project:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...th-grocery-gym

Good riddance, this project out of all the ones in Logan will probably have the biggest impact in tying together the actual sqaure with the fancy pants hipster district at California.
Very excited about this news. I live in the area, so I will definitely keep my eye on it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebirch View Post
Very excited about this news. I live in the area, so I will definitely keep my eye on it.
Same, I've been getting antsy for this project to start. Feels like its been approved for a few months. With the Logan Twins almost (or maybe already) topped off, I'm glad this'll be starting later this year to give me another good sized project to watch go up.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 6:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I disagree about the plaza. The areas around CTA stations should be developed densely, not converted to large plazas. And the need for walkable density is especially urgent in River West, which is somewhat hemmed in by the expressway, river, and trains.
Because River West is hemmed in is exactly why it needs some usable public space. What park space does this area have access to? There is none east of the Kennedy.

You want dense development, you have to make the neighborhood desirable and that starts with a small handful of well-designed public spaces. There is already good transportation and a good mix of convenience retail.

Quote:
And that's not to mention that the city shouldn't take and tear down buildings because you think they're ugly, or give de facto gifts to churches.
Why? This happens to be a logical spot for a plaza, right at the center of the neighborhood with good transit access and adjacent to the neighborhood's most beautiful landmark. Why does it matter whether that landmark happens to be a church? It could just as easily be a historic library, or a water tower. In the urban environment, buildings define open space. That's why so many plazas fall short, because nobody considered the quality of the surrounding architecture and just treated the open space as a virtue in itself.

And with regard to the eminent domain aspect - if, for some reason, the city decided to take and tear down the CVS for a signature mixed use development, all very above the table, would you still be opposed? Is this about principle, or simply about your counter-reaction to parks advocates?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 11:39 PM

Looks like the city is going to get it's first TOD right next to a Metra station in Edgebrook: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2016/04/2...k/#more-110017

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^With six elevators for ADA access? CDOT's Complete Streets leadership will have a good laugh over that idea.

I've been traveling a lot in East and Southeast Asia recently, where they love to make their big auto intersections free of those pesky pedestrians. Being forced under or over the intersection you just want to cross is incredibly frustrating, even when, as here in Tokyo, they've installed escalators to make them more palatable. The subterranean ones are a little easier, but more appealing only if they're full of underground retail, which seems a very unlikely prospect for Milwaukee & Ogden.
Theres no real reason that Odgen needs to go north of Milwaukee Ave, at least as a major roadway. If they got rid of it, it would be a good step of improving that terrible intersection.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Because River West is hemmed in is exactly why it needs some usable public space. What park space does this area have access to? There is none east of the Kennedy.

You want dense development, you have to make the neighborhood desirable and that starts with a small handful of well-designed public spaces. There is already good transportation and a good mix of convenience retail.

Why? This happens to be a logical spot for a plaza, right at the center of the neighborhood with good transit access and adjacent to the neighborhood's most beautiful landmark. Why does it matter whether that landmark happens to be a church? It could just as easily be a historic library, or a water tower. In the urban environment, buildings define open space. That's why so many plazas fall short, because nobody considered the quality of the surrounding architecture and just treated the open space as a virtue in itself.

And with regard to the eminent domain aspect - if, for some reason, the city decided to take and tear down the CVS for a signature mixed use development, all very above the table, would you still be opposed? Is this about principle, or simply about your counter-reaction to parks advocates?
Park space is something you can spend 5 min walking to; density is something that matters on a block by block, even building by building level; and transit is pivotal down to the foot by foot level when it determines what is and isn't TOD. That's why you want your density right on top of your transit, and your open spaces a few blocks away.

In this particular case, Eckhart Park (with it's own statuesque old church) is less than a 5min walk from the intersection, and if the city is looking to add more park space in the area there are a couple of vacant/parking lots on the riverfront that I'd much rather they spend their time and money on (one just 2 blocks north, and one near the Ohio ramp across from Ward Park).

I don't have a particular problem with eminent domain when used wisely, but the "some reason" justifying it's use had better be convincing rather than just a hand wave. Thinking the building behind the building you're looking at is more attractive is not a particularly convincing reason for the city to take and destroy the front building. And pushing development back from transit with a large plaza is not just unconvincing but harmful.

And there are also problems with building civic places around private buildings. Generally things are the other way around (private buildings built around civic places, or even civic buildings in civic places).
If you're knocking down the neighbors and closing streets to give one specific land owner a free extra large front yard to be maintained indefinitely at the city's expense, that raises obvious questions about bias and corruption, and such questions become especially odious when the separation of church and state is involved. I'm not wild about some of the freebies Wrigley Field has been getting, and in many ways they've taken less than what you're asking to be given to the church here (they buy and maintain their own land, and have been denied permanent street closures).
And then there're the question of permanence. Churches are even less constrained than other private owners on what they do with their property given their landmarking exemptions. And they've been selling off or knocking down a lot of churches these days (like the one I mentioned off Eckhart Park). What happens when they church decides they can't or won't maintain their building anymore? Does eminent domain even work against a church, or is the city stuck paying whatever they demand and trying to find some use for an obsolete is attractive building if they don't want their plaza's centerpiece removed?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
And there are also problems with building civic places around private buildings. Generally things are the other way around (private buildings built around civic places, or even civic buildings in civic places).
What is, and isn't, civic? The Newberry Library is a privately-owned institution that dominates a public space. The University of Chicago and Loyola University are both private institutions that have asked for, and received, street closures and various forms of city investment.

Quote:
I'm not wild about some of the freebies Wrigley Field has been getting, and in many ways they've taken less than what you're asking to be given to the church here (they buy and maintain their own land, and have been denied permanent street closures).
I love the changes around Wrigley. The architecture is a separate question, but I think narrowing the streets on Waveland and Sheffield has made them much more inviting and intimate, even when there's no game going on. I didn't agree with their request to close Clark and Addison, but that was a security strategy being forced on the Cubs by MLB and had nothing to do with urban design or planning.

Quote:
And then there're the question of permanence. Churches are even less constrained than other private owners on what they do with their property given their landmarking exemptions. And they've been selling off or knocking down a lot of churches these days (like the one I mentioned off Eckhart Park). What happens when they church decides they can't or won't maintain their building anymore? Does eminent domain even work against a church, or is the city stuck paying whatever they demand and trying to find some use for an obsolete is attractive building if they don't want their plaza's centerpiece removed?
I live in the shadow of St Adalberts, which was my family church for a few generations. You don't need to tell me about the Catholic Church. But honestly, it's an issue that needs to be resolved politically.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
What is, and isn't, civic? The Newberry Library is a privately-owned institution that dominates a public space. The University of Chicago and Loyola University are both private institutions that have asked for, and received, street closures and various forms of city investment.
Washington Square predates the Newberry Library by 45 years, the Newberry is an example of private buildings being built around a park as I described.

And while private colleges are sometimes allowed to close streets, they generally take over the maintenance of said spaces themselves, rather than leaving the city responsible for their maintenance. And said streets are usually minor ones within their campus rather than extending out to 3 major streets and a blue line station.

Quote:
I live in the shadow of St Adalberts, which was my family church for a few generations. You don't need to tell me about the Catholic Church. But honestly, it's an issue that needs to be resolved politically.
I imagine that a lot of political solutions to the catholic church wanting more money wouldn't pass the sniff test in terms of separation of church and state.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
FYI, I talked to someone in the know and it sounds like there is an interesting plan in the works for St. Adalberts. At this point "nobody is talking about demolition". That's not to say the battle is won, but it's always hopeful to hear that all sides, including the Archdiocese, see the value in preserving this structure.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Glad, and the more crap like this that gets torn down/replaced the better.
Yep, and now today further up the road on Western & Le Moyne, a parking lot (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9087...8i6656!6m1!1e1) will be replaced by an 18 unit + ground floor business building that was issued a permit yesterday. I wonder if that means the fenced off area too.

Next,they need to replace that stupid Pizza Hut on Western & North with something real.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development