HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:18 PM

^ That last image makes the building look much stubbier and bulkier, I think.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ That last image makes the building look much stubbier and bulkier, I think.
I think that's because of the forced perspective, which distorts the buildings on the side to keep them totally vertical.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:24 PM

^ You must be right. Its neighbor looks nothing like that.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I just don’t see painted concrete elsewhere. None of the big NY towers have it. Nor the bigger London residential towers. And that includes the ones that aren’t all glass. I’m excited for the terracotta on 400 LSD, though that will probably be VE’d out and ruin the project entirely.

Chicago didn’t used to be all painted concrete. And I don’t just mean pre-war towers; somehow it went from marble or white granite (can’t remember) on Water Tower Place, to various shades of pink and red on 980 Michigan, 900 Michigan and others in all of their PoMo glory, to beige paint on Park Tower. And that’s a prime location, so that’s not the problem. Did something change in the building codes? If so, change it back quickly.

But yes, use metal cladding, or stone, or brick would be nice (and actually looks very cool when applied to a large tower). If real stone or some other cladding material is not a possibility for cost reasons, then maybe the ratio of positive-to-negative space needs to change. I don’t think the white paint looks good. It looks like a condo tower in Ft Lauderdale.
I'm not looking at it from the standpoint of how it represents Chicago's civic value, either as a market or a level of standards, though I understand those concerns. Any sheathing would be bulky and applied heavy-handedly; the relative delicateness of the slab edges, as compared to the piers, would be lost. Nouvel's "MoMa tower", for example, looks like a plastic toy, and there are seams all over the place. The visible architectonic quality of the structure is greatly diminished, if not completely absent, and a flat, lifeless representation of it, in the form of the cladding, is all that's there.

While I agree that "painted concrete" can be evocative of things cheaply finished, it's going to create crisply delineated bays covered in glass, which the broader piers will outline and group. I think the final effect is going to look great.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:47 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
I was led to believe the crown was a no go from the start of construction, has something changed?
I hope your source is inaccurate. That would be seriously bad news.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I hope your source is inaccurate. That would be seriously bad news.
Agreed, this would not be good. By the looks of those renderings in the 1000M sales center, seems to be the case though.

Interestingly enough, McHugh posted on their Instagram a couple days ago that the 50th floor was being poured with only 26 floors left to go. So down to 76 floors with no crown?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 11:21 PM

Truly a damn tragedy if that crown doesnt go on top. Goes down 10 points out of 100 in my book.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:32 AM

I thought the crown looked a lot like the early squat antennae on Sears. If it got VE'd out it'll be a shame.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:46 PM

6-25-18
Also from inside Maggie Daley

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:37 PM

June 24, 2018

From the Roosevelt Collection to the west, very soon to obscure The Grant and One Museum Park from this view.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 10:29 PM

Is it just me or does this one feel like it's going up much slower compared to 1BP, Vista, Essex, etc.?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 11:21 PM

Drove past this one today. The profile feels much slimmer as it gets taller. It looks fantastic!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Is it just me or does this one feel like it's going up much slower compared to 1BP, Vista, Essex, etc.?

When you consider the timeliness then no not at all!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:55 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Essex is absurdly ahead of schedule which probably throws your expectations off from the start, but this baby is flying. The core is already over 550 feet up!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:34 AM
1st Ward

OGP/NEMA finished pouring the first floor at the start of June last year. They are at about floor 51 now (if my count is accurate), meaning OGP/NEMA has been rising about one floor every 7 to 8 days, a rate which is pretty comparable to other poured concrete buildings.

Essex on the Park has been going up faster than OGP/NEMA. Its first floor was poured on the last week of August, and it was at about the 47th floor as of last weekend when I was in the Loop (again, if my count is accurate). It has been rising at about one floor every 6 days.

Essex is going up a bit faster, but both towers are rising at fast and steady pace.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:07 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
I hear you. I get that feeling as well, perhaps because I see it everyday outside of my office window. They also may have just finished a transition floor. We'll see if the pace picks up in the upcoming weeks.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:40 AM

June 27

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 3:07 AM

Incredible shots!!

Does anybody know why the started the glass in two sections? i.e. the bottom of the building and half way up?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Incredible shots!!

Does anybody know why the started the glass in two sections? i.e. the bottom of the building and half way up?
I thought I saw that some glass is recessed while others are flush with the exterior wall. Am I wrong about this?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Incredible shots!!

My guess is to not get in the way of the other workers istalling other essentials!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive