HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:13 PM

Tweet by Chuck Slothower (DJC reporter):

Quote:
"The Post Office deal, executing documents are on everybody's desk." .@pdxdevelopment's Bruce Wood, Wednesday.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 6:46 AM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 5:36 PM

Well that's exciting!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcarpdx View Post
Well that's exciting!
well lets just wait to see what developers will pay for the land--who knows? this is Portland afterall--not exactly the business capital of the west

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
well lets just wait to see what developers will pay for the land--who knows? this is Portland afterall--not exactly the business capital of the west
Care to elaborate on your comment? I can't tell what you're trying to get at in your post.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 7:58 PM

The redevelopment of the Pearl District has been enormously successful to date. In 1994 Fred Leeson wrote a story stating that over 20 years the city hoped to see 5,500 units of housing built. By 2014 the number was closer to 7,000 units.

Based on past history, I don't see any reason to assume that the redevelopment of the USPS site will be a failure.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 8:32 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The redevelopment of the Pearl District has been enormously successful to date. In 1994 Fred Leeson wrote a story stating that over 20 years the city hoped to see 5,500 units of housing built. By 2014 the number was closer to 7,000 units.

Based on past history, I don't see any reason to assume that the redevelopment of the USPS site will be a failure.
Agreed. If anything, I think the city is underestimating the potential of this site a little. Or maybe they just want to be slightly conservative in their estimates so as not to promise too much. Either way, I wish they would increase the FARs to at least the same as those along most of the Transit Mall (12:1) and get rid of height limits downtown altogether.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 10:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Agreed. If anything, I think the city is underestimating the potential of this site a little. Or maybe they just want to be slightly conservative in their estimates so as not to promise too much. Either way, I wish they would increase the FARs to at least the same as those along most of the Transit Mall (12:1) and get rid of height limits downtown altogether.
I agree. But it will be interesting to see if & how the Goodman properties being developed throughout downtown complicate things. There's certainly a need for all of it, but if it all happens at the same time... it'll be interesting. But I agree that the potential for the post office site is enormous.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 11:35 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I agree. But it will be interesting to see if & how the Goodman properties being developed throughout downtown complicate things. There's certainly a need for all of it, but if it all happens at the same time... it'll be interesting. But I agree that the potential for the post office site is enormous.
Is there anything actually happening with all the Goodman properties beyond that sales ad they put out a few months ago?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 11:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Is there anything actually happening with all the Goodman properties beyond that sales ad they put out a few months ago?
I have no idea, but I've been wondering that too. There are a bunch of "Is that still happening?" proposals floating around. Another one is James Beard Market plus the buildings to go with it.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Portland will never really be a skyscraper city. Not enough banks, insurance companies or super large corporations.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Nope nothing. That was just a what if type of ad. None of that is happening anytime soon

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
Portland will never really be a skyscraper city. Not enough banks, insurance companies or super large corporations.
Totally agree if anything maybe a residential skyscraper city like Vancouver BC

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:38 PM

According to the DJC ($) ownership "will transfer to the PDC on Aug. 1."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:01 AM

On the PDC agenda for Thursday:

Quote:
Report 16-43

Information Item: Update on Acquisition of the United States Postal Service Processing and Distribution Center at 715 NW Hoyt Street in the River District Urban Renewal Area

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 8:27 PM

The PDC now owns the USPS site in the Pearl. It will continue operating for another couple years as the new facility is built at Colwood.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 7:54 PM

PSU students' $1.3B idea for PDC's Pearl District site (Renderings)
Sep 28, 2016, 11:31am PDT Updated Sep 28, 2016, 11:37am PDT
Jon Bell
Staff Reporter Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...435&j=75934382
Quote:
If it were up to nine Portland State University students and the larger team they worked with, the Portland Development Commission's 14-acre post office property in the Pearl District would eventually be home to more than 4 million square feet of new development, including mixed-income housing, condos, office towers and open spaces.

Some 3,300 people would live in the area, with 4,500 jobs nearby. Almost all parking would be automated inside new buildings. Gardens, green spaces and a green loop would round it all out.

The nine students in PSU's Master of Real Estate Development program worked with ZGF Architects and PDC for 12 weeks coming up with a proposal for the site, which PDC acquired from the U.S. Postal Service for $88 million earlier this year. Called Union Park, the proposal is designed to link the Pearl District with Old Town Chinatown. The team pegged the project cost at just over $1.3 billion, with a value of nearly $1.7 billion.

According to a presentation the students gave at a NAIOP meeting last week, the overall mix of the proposed development, almost all of which would be high-rise to maximize density, would include 843,000 square feet of office space. There would be approximately 2,700 residential units, including five mixed-income buildings, one exclusively for affordable housing and two for condos. Thirty percent of all the units — about 753 — would be affordable housing for those making 0-60 percent of the median family income.

The plan also calls for 662,000 square feet of parking and 165,300 square feet of "active use" space.

...(continues)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Broadway Corridor Visioning Workshop

You're invited to share your perspective on priorities and goals for the future of the US Postal Service site and the NW Broadway Corridor.

The Broadway Corridor is a “once in a generation” opportunity to develop a district that delivers affordability, economic development, climate sustainability, social equity and high-quality public open spaces. Before we kick off preparation of a Master Plan for the area in spring 2017, we want to hear from you.

What are your top priorities? How can the process ensure we meet our objectives?
This workshop will provide a forum to hear from inspirational thinkers and engage in a discussion with other civic leaders regarding how the future redevelopment can deliver on the community’s top priorities. Please consider forwarding this invitation to others who may be interested in joining this discussion.

Workshop attendance will be capped at 200 attendees. We encourage you to register early and be prepared to engage in the full session. Child care, dinner and translation services are available with registration.

PARKING
Download a map with parking options >

AGENDA
4:00 pm: Registration, Project Gallery, Dinner
4:15 pm: Welcome, Project Overview
4:45 pm: Panel discussion
5:45 pm: Break
6:00 pm: Small group round table discussions regarding project priorities
7:30 pm: Panelist observations
7:45 pm: Wrap-up

ABOUT THE BROADWAY CORRIDOR

The Broadway Corridor is a 24-acre site located in the northern end of downtown Portland which includes a 14-acre parcel recently purchased from the US Postal Service and the historic Union Station train depot. When complete, the USPS site alone could include development that would include 4,000 jobs, 2,000 housing units and 80,000 square feet of public space. The value of the construction could be up to $800,000,000.

Please contact Sarah Harpole, PDC Senior Project Manager, with questions.
For those unable to attend the workshop, an online forum will be available after the workshop to provide information about the project and outcomes from the workshop discussions and to seek additional feedback. The PDC is committed to an inclusive planning process and discussion of community benefits that can be delivered by the project. We will be reaching out to people in the next few months to solicit additional input; if you are interested in having us talk with your group, please contact Sarah Harpole.

Additional information about the Broadway Corridor can be found on PDC's website, including the Broadway Corridor Framework Plan, adopted by City Council and the PDC Board in October 2015.
...register at Eventbrite.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:52 PM

Interesting. Freudian slip providing parking options for the event. No transit? :o) nitpicking, but we are a city. In NY they'd provide the subway line.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 9:00 PM

That caught my eye too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland