HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:08 AM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
ha, the Pulaski Skyway post made me guffaw. That thing is terrifying to drive-on. I white-knuckle it over that and the Goethals Bridge every time.
It may be terrifying to drive on, but do you know what's even more terrifying? Not being able drive on it, and taking the alternate truck route to the Holland Tunnel ... that is, if you're lucky.

I was not so lucky one early morning when I picked up my parents from Newark Airport. Police closed down the alternate route with nary a detour route laid out, and everybody was forced to follow the car in front of them with sheer hope that driver would know another alternate route to the Holland. So of course the car in front of us knew bupkus of how to get to the Tunnel, and we had hit a U-Turn and make our way through some of the most depressing industrial wasteland known to man.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:09 AM
Houston:Considered Good

About The Williams Tower

It's the fact that it stands out so much and has the cultural impact of a beacon that can be seen from many neighborhoods. It also successfully combines Post Modern and Art Deco architecture which is very difficult to do.

Last edited by Double L; Oct 12, 2014 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:06 AM

^

I've got to agree with the others, it just seems like an ordinary skyscraper, only unique because it's not in a major financial or downtown district (and as a result, it towers over everything in the immediate vicinity).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:18 AM

I think the experience of driving around and seeing a 900 ft tall building, standing entirely alone with a beacon atop bringing attention to its location from many miles away, should be internationally famous.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:41 AM
Meh

I think a better idea for a thread like this is to post a photo of whatever structure you are hoping is internationally famous, and then allow international forumers to guess what it is. Insisting something is well known is like saying you're cool because your mom says so.

But anyway, whenever I'm in Houston the Williams Tower is the one I'm looking for, but that's just me.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:48 AM

You know, just to reiterate something here, I'm not trying to say The Williams Tower should be internationally famous because like I said, it has to do with exposure from the media. I'm just saying I would like it to be because I think it would play the role well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 5:57 AM

- Ha Long Bay ought to be one of the most famous geographic wonders on Earth. Unbelievable that it isn't. It's in that second tier of ultimate natural sites (Grand Canyon unquestionably standing firmly alone at the top).

- Tikal doesn't get nearly as much love as Machu Picchu, Teotihuacan, or Chichen Itza, and I have no clue why. Tikal is the ultimate Indiana Jones experience.

- Banff is as beautiful as the Swiss Alps but the only people that seem to have ever heard of the place are Canadians.

- Jokulsarlon is far too picturesque to not at least be featured in random Facebook/HuffPost clickbait.

- Okavango Delta (and Botswana in general) should be synonymous with "safari" but people tend to always think of places like Kruger or the Serengeti.

- Meteora is totally overshadowed by all of the 2000-3000 year old ruins throughout Greece. It's a shame because the monasteries and geology here are stunning.

Then there are those places that are the exact opposite: the ones that are unnecessarily waaaaaaay too famous. Niagara Falls, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Singapore, Santorini, Phuket, Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood Sign, Hollywood, Death Valley . . .

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think a better idea for a thread like this is to post a photo of whatever structure you are hoping is internationally famous, and then allow international forumers to guess what it is. Insisting something is well known is like saying you're cool because your mom says so.

But anyway, whenever I'm in Houston the Williams Tower is the one I'm looking for, but that's just me.
Eh, I'm new to posting here (though a reader for many, many years), so I'll learn the customs here soon enough.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 12:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The only one that I could suggest for Newfoundland and Labrador is the Fogo Island Inn, but I suspect it's not all that interesting in a global sense, just a well-executed knockoff of Scandinavian style.

It's a very expensive hotel, and has equally architecturally interesting artists' studios scattered about the island on which it's built. The interior is fully decked out in traditional Newfoundland folk crafts and art, from the quilts on the beds to the wood stoves.

It's won just about every international award available for hotels since it was built.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Barad-dûr, Mordor.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Coronado - San Diego Bay Bridge

I think this bridge is under rated. There are proposals to build a pedestrian/bicycle tube underneath the roadway. It has incredible views of downtown and the mountains going eastbound and while driving westbound toward Coronado, great views of the Pacific and the islands in Mexican waters. The bridge is tall to allow navy vessels to pass underneath and has a sharp turn as you approach Coronado.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_D...oronado_Bridge

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 7:15 PM
Honored Member

I agree. Nothing about the tower makes it seem extraordinary. There are plenty of similar buildings throughout North America.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I agree. Nothing about the tower makes it seem extraordinary. There are plenty of similar buildings throughout North America.
People who haven't seen the Williams Tower close up won't have the appreciation many of us do. By close up, I mean really close up, from the base looking up at the beautiful lines and angles.

Architectural opinions are fine, though. You better watch out, though. I may have some things to say about your neighborhood Walmart recommendation.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Oct 13, 2014 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:31 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i'll just leave my 'ol pic of cleveland's deco guardians of transportation right here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

^ if you can believe it, al porter aka cleveland's robert moses, a guy who canceled cleeveland's subway plan after it was passed by the voters, had this to say about the guardians when he wanted to widen the bridge: "Those columns are monstrosities and should be torn down and forgotten. There is nothing particularly historic about any one of them. We're not running a May Show here (may show=annual art show)."

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:30 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i'll just leave my 'ol pic of cleveland's deco guardians of transportation right here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge
Irrelevant anecdote: There is a novel called Dragons of the Cuyahoga in which one of the eponymous dragons is murdered and comes to rest against that bridge. Then, of course, it's time to call out the forensic mages. Best melding of fantasy, crime fiction, and Art Deco EVAR (sic).
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:45 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Not sure why the wikipedia entry fails to mention - the lower deck was to also have rail transit (streetcar I believe) and if you look at the base of any of the Guardians, you can see where the entrance would have been:

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I think this bridge is under rated. There are proposals to build a pedestrian/bicycle tube underneath the roadway. It has incredible views of downtown and the mountains going eastbound and while driving westbound toward Coronado, great views of the Pacific and the islands in Mexican waters. The bridge is tall to allow navy vessels to pass underneath and has a sharp turn as you approach Coronado.

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_D...oronado_Bridge
A great drive. And featured in the opening theme of "Simon and Simon" (TV show from the eighties)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

DC has few statues/sculpture compared to a European capital city, but what is does have is pretty high-quality IMO; a notable collection from an artistic standpoint really that is worth visiting and should be more famous.

Obviously Lincoln memorial

link

Korean war memorial

link

Grant, staring implacably down the mall at Lincoln

next to Grant, battle scene:

Methodist preacher in Columbia Heights

link

Iwo Jima memorial

link

And of course, Washington DC's weirdly buff statues on the bridge into Arlington cemetery:

link

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
A great drive. And featured in the opening theme of "Simon and Simon" (TV show from the eighties)
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 9:27 PM

Chesapeake Bay Bridge is one of my favorites and perhaps not too many people outside Balt-Wash know about it. It's chronically congested, looks flimsy and is kind of unsettling to be on but I find it oddly beautiful.

Source and article

http://ndcott.deviantart.com/
http://ndcott.deviantart.com/art/Che...nset-327835330

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions