HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:06 PM

AUSTIN | Executive Airport Updates (KEDC)

KEDC looks to be getting a runway extension as part of their master plan. RWY 13/31 will be extending at the RWY 31 threshold around 1,000ft. Bringing the runway length from 6,025ft to around 7,000ft. The new RWY 31 approach will have precision approach surface 50:1.

Information on what a precision approach runway entails can be found here:https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/oisspec.html

The Austin Executive Airport master plan so far can be found here:http://www.austinexecutiveairport.com/plan.html

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 5, 2018 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:29 AM

Excited for this new thread. Random question, but why isn't there an FAA diagram for EDC? Is it because its a privately owned field or something?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerspaeth View Post
Excited for this new thread. Random question, but why isn't there an FAA diagram for EDC? Is it because its a privately owned field or something?
I'm not quite sure. It could be because of no precision approaches yet or it could be because the airport is not towered. I searched for airport diagrams for KEDC and this was all I found:
Edit: Austin Executive does have a control tower that opened February 23, 2018.
http://txtopaviation.com/pirep-austi...control-tower/

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 6, 2018 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:53 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

How big could this airport eventually get? Is it possible that more private planes can be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
How big could this airport eventually get? Is it possible that more private planes can be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport?
Quite possible that many planes can and will be moved from ABIA to the Executive Airport. The airport has plenty of space for more hangars, a larger ramp, and more fixed base operators. (the current fbo at the airport is one of the highest rated in the country)

The only problem that could occur is the current runways width being to narrow to accept the largest private jets. The runway will probably have to be widened from 100ft to 150ft eventually. Not quite sure on the taxiway width.

Even at the current 6,025ft, runway 13/31 has plenty of room to land many if not all common private planes. Adding length just gives more room for error, and accompanying the random billionaire with a 757.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I'm not quite sure. It could be because of no precision approaches yet or it could be because the airport is not towered. I searched for airport diagrams for KEDC and this was all I found:
They actually just built a tower there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
They actually just built a tower there.
Yep, saw that after I posted and added it to the bottom of my post.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Yep, saw that after I posted and added it to the bottom of my post.
Oops, didn't see it there at the bottom of the image.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Edit: Austin Executive does have a control tower that opened February 23, 2018.
http://txtopaviation.com/pirep-austi...control-tower/
It's interesting because the FAA provides almost all docs except a diagram, and, to what you said, any ILS approaches:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...1804&ident=EDC

I'm curious about the current condition of runway 16/34. I've seen old videos of people landing on it and it is the worst condition runway I have ever seen. Hell, a grass strip would serve just as well. It'd be nice to see it restored so it could be used more often than it is now.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
It's interesting because the FAA provides almost all docs except a diagram, and, to what you said, any ILS approaches:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...1804&ident=EDC

I'm curious about the current condition of runway 16/34. I've seen old videos of people landing on it and it is the worst condition runway I have ever seen. Hell, a grass strip would serve just as well. It'd be nice to see it restored so it could be used more often than it is now.
That is probably the worst paved runway that I have ever seen. I didn't even know it was still used till I watched the video!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:24 AM

Any timeline on all of this? If the plan isn't even released I'd assume this will take years.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Any timeline on all of this? If the plan isn't even released I'd assume this will take years.
I’m thinking that this project could happen sooner than we expect. Being privately owned is a big deal for getting things done fast. I don’t think the project will take billions of years like ABIA’s is.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:04 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So the runway in the video is the small one. Didn't know it was in such bad condition. What is funny is you can see hay bales in the field all around it. Can't tell if there's a fence but I wonder if pilots have to dodge cows as they land lol.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So the runway in the video is the small one. Didn't know it was in such bad condition. What is funny is you can see hay bales in the field all around it. Can't tell if there's a fence but I wonder if pilots have to dodge cows as they land lol.
Quite small indeed. Runway 16/34 is listed as 1550 x 25 ft long. With the asphalt in fair condition and the runway markings in poor condition. It's an incredibly poor runway that needs to either be completely redone or closed. Though I do think it would be fun to test your luck and land on it. Theres no way someone would let cows get so close to an airport to interfere with ops

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:15 AM

Back when I lived in NE Austin, I loved taking the boys out there to watch planes for a bit. Such a fun experience because you are so close to the experience.

I know nothing about the operations side. Does anyone fly scheduled flights out of there, or is it all private?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Back when I lived in NE Austin, I loved taking the boys out there to watch planes for a bit. Such a fun experience because you are so close to the experience.

I know nothing about the operations side. Does anyone fly scheduled flights out of there, or is it all private?
This is a privately owned general aviation airport. All scheduled commercial flights into and out of Austin go into ABIA.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
This is a privately owned general aviation airport. All scheduled commercial flights into and out of Austin go into ABIA.
Cool. I was mostly wondering if there was some kind of super exclusive concierge operation out of there that wasn't with someone like Southwest, Delta, etc. I always assume that the 1% have access to stuff that I don't even know about and thought maybe Austin Executive had some of that.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Cool. I was mostly wondering if there was some kind of super exclusive concierge operation out of there that wasn't with someone like Southwest, Delta, etc. I always assume that the 1% have access to stuff that I don't even know about and thought maybe Austin Executive had some of that.
They do have a fbo that can act as a sort of concierge.
https://www.paragonaviationgroup.com...edc-austin-tx/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:15 AM

Extending the runway so the 1%ers can land their G650ERs out there?

The airport owner/developer was certainly lucky & surprised when the land owner offered to sell him all his property instead of the 30 or so acres he originally wanted to buy to add onto the old Birds Nest.

Last edited by Armybrat; Apr 11, 2018 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Extending the runway so the 1%ers can land their G50ERs out there?

The airport owner/developer was certainly lucky & surprised when the land owner offered to sell him all his property instead of the 30 or so acres he originally wanted to buy to add onto the old Birds Nest.
Not related to the airport, but I was able to see inside a G650ER when touring a Gulfstream Service Center and they are very, very nice looking on the inside. I would love to fly one of them! I'm lucky enough to have a service center at my home airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin