HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:59 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wow! How many employees total? 8-10k?
I'm not sure but I thought this first phase was for up to 1,000 employees? Unless I'm mistaken

UPDATE: Just went back to the start of the thread. Originally it was stated that up to 500 employees would be added once the campus opened. I'm sure that number has increased. Even the origional half million square feet seemed like a lot of space for just 500 employees.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm not sure but I thought this first phase was for up to 1,000 employees? Unless I'm mistaken

UPDATE: Just went back to the start of the thread. Originally it was stated that up to 500 employees would be added once the campus opened. I'm sure that number has increased. Even the origional half million square feet seemed like a lot of space for just 500 employees.
From officlal source: 3,000 employees for first phase; 2,000 employees second phase. x employees third phase(?) They still have more empty land.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/or..._medium=social

Quote:
“Phase one is going to house about 3,000 folks on the current campus, and phase two another couple thousand,” said Scott Armour, senior vice president of Oracle Digital.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
From officlal source: 3,000 employees for first phase; 2,000 employees second phase. x employees third phase(?) They still have more empty land.

How many does oracle have total in Austin?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 5:36 PM
Love Austin

Wow! That's an amazing amount of jobs right there. Wish we'd of passed rail along Riverside in '14... Happy that Bus Rapid Transit is on its way. Now we just need more homes built in the area.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

I'm assuming that means they are relocating the existing workers to the campus in addition to the new jobs being added?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Happy that Bus Rapid Transit is on its way.
Wat??? As far as I know, there is no plan for BRT. It’s being look at on a number of corridors along with LRT. Am I missing something?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Wat??? As far as I know, there is no plan for BRT. It’s being look at on a number of corridors along with LRT. Am I missing something?
Yes, the #20 will be converted into #820 in time and will run 24/7/365 as will the #801, #803, and the planned #804.

http://connections2025.org/draft-plan/

edit: all LRT efforts have been dropped for now. As sexy as LRT is, BRT is a better value, given our inability it seems to build separate rail lines. If it's going to run on the street, might as well do BRT. We can get 5x-10x the amount of BRT compared to one LRT "line."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm assuming that means they are relocating the existing workers to the campus in addition to the new jobs being added?
That's make sense but I don't know as a fact.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, the #20 will be converted into #820 in time and will run 24/7/365 as will the #801, #803, and the planned #804.

http://connections2025.org/draft-plan/

edit: all LRT efforts have been dropped for now.
This isn't correct. LRT is part of the current round of Cap Metro Project Connect Studies for a number of corridors along with BRT. LRT works for Riverside because unlike Guad/Lamar, it doesn't need to serve as a major corridor for multiple lines and it has ROW space. However, given the riverside overpass project was removed from the TxDot 10 year plan, I don't think LRT will be pursued for Riverside.

I do like BRT but you need to pursue bus only lanes in order to make it more effective. I hope the council has the stones to approve the Guadalupe plan this year to extend the bus only lanes out of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
This isn't correct. LRT is part of the current round of Cap Metro Project Connect Studies for a number of corridors along with BRT. LRT works for Riverside because unlike Guad/Lamar, it doesn't need to serve as a major corridor for multiple lines and it has ROW space. However, given the riverside overpass project was removed from the TxDot 10 year plan, I don't think LRT will be pursued for Riverside.

I do like BRT but you need to pursue bus only lanes in order to make it more effective. I hope the council has the stones to approve the Guadalupe plan this year to extend the bus only lanes out of downtown.
Thanks for the correction. While LRT is not formally dead, it practically is for the next decade, imo. Also, my speculation is that the Riverside corridor will likely get a separate to-Downtown circulator bus similar to the new planned ones, such as the one that will run down to SoCo (marked as route #450 on the map). The sheer number of people working just at Oracle, let alone some future mega project at Catalyst will scream for a short run route that snakes through Elmont Drive - Crossing Place at prime hours, and would partially run on Riverside. (Conversely, the last UT Shuttles will be dead by that point.)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:28 AM

01/05/2018

Last edited by akashkw; Jan 9, 2018 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 AM

When did this go from 1000 employees to 5000 in 2 phases? I missed that entirely. If true, that is HUGE!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
When did this go from 1000 employees to 5000 in 2 phases? I missed that entirely. If true, that is HUGE!
It was always ~3000 for Phase One. 560,000 square feet would be 560 square foot per employee. That's more than some one bedroom apartments.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:33 PM

I just happened to be on the trail passing the new Oracle campus this afternoon while they were doing the ribbon cutting ceremony and caught Larry Ellison speaking to the crowd and he said they are wanting to employ 10,000 people in Austin in their new campus. I guess billionaires are a little different, but he seemed pretty casual dropping that 10K number like it was no big deal. They seem really happy to be in Austin based on the tone of the ceremony.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:56 AM

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/pre...s-032218.html:

The Austin complex features a 560,000-square-foot facility and spans 40 acres of Lady Bird Lake waterfront property that could ultimately support a workforce of up to 10,000. The campus also includes the adjacent 295-unit Azul apartment building for employees and the general public.

The new campus will feature a variety of design elements and amenities including:

Dining: Full service restaurant, Starbucks, food truck court
Health: Fitness center, beach volleyball and basketball courts, flag football field, B-cycle station, access to Lady Bird Lake hike and bike trail
Business: Training center, conference center, tech bar, innovation lab, interactive customer demo rooms
Collaboration Spaces: Game rooms, landscaped balconies, terraces and outdoor areas
Culture: Themed floors highlighting aspects of Austin’s culture including local art, music and murals.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Wow! Could ultimately support a workforce of 10,000!!! This is big news. 5,000 workers was big news, now we could see double that amount. Will be bigger than Apple's considerable workforce currently employed in Austin. It's clear that there will be more additions. Hopefully there will be some height added with future phases.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:37 PM

Looking back at the original announcement back in 2015, Oracle had 27 acres purchased at the time. Somewhere in there they've added another 13 for the current count of 40 acres. Does anyone know what that encompasses?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Looking back at the original announcement back in 2015, Oracle had 27 acres purchased at the time. Somewhere in there they've added another 13 for the current count of 40 acres. Does anyone know what that encompasses?
The biggest is the island of slabs on the north side of Elmont. 13 acres?

Anyone else know the rest?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:45 PM

Statesman 512 Tech article on this:
https://www.512tech.com/technology/o...kPgOIQfJH06aI/

As an aside, this also gives insight into what tech companies are looking for and why they like Austin so much. (I would guess that this type of thinking is a factor in HQ2 also.)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:07 AM

A new 512 article about doubling the campus.
https://www.512tech.com/technology/o...2jvskQV0XRDAP/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin