HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

323 10th Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 6:03 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 323 10th Ave (507 W 28th St) | 425 FT | 35 FLOORS

I passed this project recently and it seems demolition is in full swing. The building permits have been filed but not approved.

New Tower Plan Headed for West 28th Along the High Line
Curbed

Monday, April 2, 2012

Crews are ripping up the roof of the former Club Quo at 511 West 28th Street, prepping the plot for a new batch of residences that will rise along both sides of the High Line, just west of Tenth Avenue. What's to come seems to be a rethinking of a prior plan from Lee Harris Pomeroy Architects, revealed back in 2009, originally a mix of hotel and residential with retail down below. The current plan is from Avinash K. Malhotra Architects for developer Kadima Tenth Avenue SPE; the hotel is now nowhere to be seen but the residential and retail remain. The zoning details are still pending, but the Schedule A on file indicates three separate components, with massing much like what was seen before. When it's all done, this will be a gateway, presumably in glass, a portal for park-goers passing through on their way to the mega-hood that Related and team envisions for the blocks to the north.

Along the High Line at 28th Street a 14-story slab will rise with 44 units above and a pool in the cellar, all butting up to the ginormous Avalon West Chelsea project that's now digging down next door. Rising over West 29th Street will be a blockier 14-story stack, with 128 units above and parking for 59 vehicles (and 162 bikes) on the lower floors. Across the High Line, at the southwest corner of Tenth and West 29th, a 25-story tower will rise, holding 140 units. Down at street level and below the High Line retail will rule. Whatever architect Avinash Malhotra brings to the block, this will be a big change from the days when this was club land, and another Malhotra partied hard and pole dancing was the way to play. When this development is up along this stretch of elevated park where wildflowers bloom, some re-thinking may be necessary. Perhaps a shade garden will be in order.

Images from Curbed via Avinash Malhotra:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 6:08 PM

Recent photos (by me):

December 14th:

Today:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 6:48 PM

So many projects just along the High Line, it's impossible to keep track of. This isn't one of my favorites, but still nice to see it moving along.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 7:26 PM

Agreed its not overly exciting, however I do like how it weaves between some of the existing buildings. Hopefully they remain in the future so this neighborhood isn't all new buildings.

Yeah this neighborhood is incredible. I count 5 buildings (including the Coach Tower) under construction within 3 blocks along the High Line.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:00 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of buildings worth landmarking in the area. Hopefully as the area continues to gentrify the LPC will realize the need for protection and step in. Most of its pretty forgettable but it'd be shame to not preserve a lot of the old shipping warehouses, and clusters of classic low rise brick buildings.

Anyway, getting off topic.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:36 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Nice shots of the site ILNY! I hope you don't mind me posting these. Looks like the site is cleaned up nicely. 2014 will be an active year on the West Side!
Any chance you have a pic of the site east of the Highline where the 25 floor tower will stand?

Photo Credit: ILNY @ Skyscraperpage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Nov 14, 2013 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:11 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

delete

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
Nice shots of the site ILNY! I hope you don't mind me posting these. Looks like the site is cleaned up nicely. 2014 will be an active year on the West Side!
Any chance you have a pic of the site east of the Highline where the 25 floor tower will stand?

Photo Credit: ILNY @ Skyscraperpage

I do not mind if you repost my pictures Nikolai. I will get some pics of the east side next time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 1:35 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
I do not mind if you repost my pictures Nikolai. I will get some pics of the east side next time.
I'm not Nikolai from New York YIMBY - he just gave me permission to post his articles because he doesn't have the time to post them here. The author of NY YIMBY is babybackribs2314 on this forum. Thanks for your updates and pictures, though!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 4:50 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

"...at the southwest corner of Tenth and West 29th, a 25-story tower will rise, holding 140 units.":

As of December 21st, 2013...
Photo Credit: ILNY @SSP
Quote:

ILNY

ILNY

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 5:44 AM

Surprise, this turned out to be quite nice building around 500ft tall. Under construction.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 5:11 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Wow! This has flown under the radar. Construction is pretty advanced. I had been wondering about this project and it’s good to see that part of the highline shaping up.

It is a 3 tower development, with 1 tall tower and 2 shorter towers.

As per DOB:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

While the NB application calls for the tallest tower to be 385’ tall with 35 floors, the diagram indicates a height of aprox 424’ which would include the parapet. The 2 shorter towers appear to be aprox 164’ each... I think.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:19 PM

West Chelsea’s Tallest Tower Rises and Finally Reveals Itself

West Chelsea’s Tallest Tower Rises and Finally Reveals Itself
By Ondel Hylton
July 14, 2015
http://www.6sqft.com/west-chelseas-t...eveals-itself/

Quote:
Residential construction along the High Line continues at full steam as a rash of activity along the park’s northern extents rises higher and larger than earlier developments farther south. To provide a gradual transition from mid-rise West Chelsea to the enormous skyscrapers planned for the Far West Side, the Bloomberg administration in 2005 allowed more generous zoning between West 28th and 30th streets along Tenth and Eleventh avenues. Earlier this week Curbed, via ILNY’s Flickr photostream, gave us our first look at West Chelsea’s future tallest structure, a 425-foot rental tower at 319 Tenth Avenue that is part of a trio of buildings being developed by Long Island-based Lalezarian Properties.

Lalezarian’s unique site encircles the High Line in three contiguous parcels fronting West 28th Street, 29th Street, and Tenth Avenue. The project’s unusual configuration is a result of the elevated railway slicing the 45,000-square-foot lot in half, and five stalwart walk-up buildings (three along Tenth Avenue and two fronting West 29th Street) further fragmenting the plot. The 2005 West Chelsea Rezoning allows owners of property underneath the High Line to transfer their development rights to neighboring parcels, which enabled Lalezarian to construct a taller-than-usual high rise along the avenue. The C6-4 zoning district, provided for the neighborhood’s two northernmost blocks that include this project site, allows for towers of unlimited height along the avenues; though above 220 feet they are confined to a maximum width of 150 feet to ensure slenderness...

the site of the 35 story building along tenth avenue

To read and see more

Last edited by PeterQM; Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 3:33 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Move to U/C?

Also:

NEW YORK | 323 10th Ave (507 W 28th St) | 425 FT | 35 FLOORS

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:43 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 4:13 PM

How is it that buildings of this size get built without a crane?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:00 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
How is it that buildings of this size get built without a crane?
Climbing formwork, concrete pumps, and temporary street cranes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:30 PM

nov 25th

in reflection

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:26 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive