HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Well, he was the one that knew about Magellan before any news site did. So that's where I got my faith in him.

And don't read that much into his language. It's the Shag. That's how everyone talks.

I didn't read his quote to mean he saw something new. I do think he probably saw the plans for the Energy Control Tower and the rest of GWTP or something. Who was it on this site that said there would be an announcement about ECC soon?
which I know a lil about....it's supposed to be really really good looking. That's all I can say.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:51 PM

Lamar and San antonio. I wonder if that is the street or if that could be San antonio the city which leads me to lonestar rail. I saw an advertisement for Lonestar rail on the side of a bus just last week. I thought it was odd since it doesn't exist yet.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:31 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

He meant the street. Those streets he listed border the area of SW downtown that's getting the most action in the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:38 PM

And ground breaking is expected. Not a member so couldn't see specific date.

http://m.statesman.com/news/business...evelopm/ndD59/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:21 PM

It appears early construction crew has started working on a project behind Rainey st. You can see in the back of the photo, the crew is on East avenue. I believe this is the Kimpton Hotel, but not sure.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post

It appears early construction crew has started working on a project behind Rainey st. You can see in the back of the photo, the crew is on East avenue. I believe this is the Kimpton Hotel, but not sure.

Kimpton hotel is already under construction next the the Shore condos. This is probably Kimber Modern (no relation to the Kimpton hotel group as far as I know) project being done by the owners of the little boutique hotel just off of South Congress behind the Continental Club. Anyway, I think they announced plans some time back to build a small hotel just about where this picture shows construction activity.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:46 PM

Oh I must have gotten the names mixed up. Either way- didn't think this project would start so soon!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
which I know a lil about....it's supposed to be really really good looking. That's all I can say.
Geez. Your such a tease!

Constructive Ventures is still developing this site, correct?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Question for all you Austin people.

I live in Salt Lake City. Here, we always hear about how Austin is booming, growing, how it has such a young workforce and population.

With that, what is it about Austin that is making it such a booming, modern, hip city?

Also how is it that there is always skyscrapers being built? How much demand is there really for businesses and living in Austin.

Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post

I live in Salt Lake City. Here, we always hear about how Austin is booming, growing, how it has such a young workforce and population.

With that, what is it about Austin that is making it such a booming, modern, hip city?

Also how is it that there is always skyscrapers being built? How much demand is there really for businesses and living in Austin.

Thanks!

Native Austinite here. When I was born, the population was less than half of what it is now. An explanation: in addition to being the capitol city of the second largest state in the country, it's home to one of the largest universities in the country (the University of Texas). Over time, the combination of students and government (the same dynamic exists in Salt Lake City, in fact) combined to create a pretty unique and interesting place. It's got a river flowing right through it (we call it Lady Bird Lake now, used to be Town Lake) with a trail around it (so many of these residential developers are trying to get as close to the "lake" as they can because it's a lifestyle thing) and lots of parks (Zilker Park, Auditorium Shores) right in our downtown area. So it developed a sort of Bohemian, hippie atmosphere and reputation. Being the most liberal city in the state of Texas tends to attract a lot of liberals from other towns and cities in Texas, where they may feel marginalized. Austin is their haven. In this environment, music flourished. My mom moved here from Alabama (to go to UT) in the 1960's and sang in a band. Somewhere along the line, likely due to our annual music festivals like South by Southwest, the moniker "Live Music Capital of the World" was applied to us and it just took off. Being Texans in addition to Austinites, we tend to be proud of where we're from and probably talk it up a bit too much. All that talking led to us becoming a trendy place and once you become a trendy place it's hard to become un-trendy. So lots of young, interesting people from all over the country started moving here and it just sort of snowballed from there. In the beginning, we probably weren't half as cool as we made ourselves out to be. But we're pretty dang cool now.

Oh, and it's warm. That's part of it, too.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post

Thanks!
There's a number of things that make it a "hip modern booming" city. There's UT, and several other universities in the metro. There's also huge live music events like Fun Fun Fun Fest, SXSW, ACL, etc. It's also got a nice film scene. Tech companies seem to be moving here quite a lot. It's the most expensive metro in Texas, I think, but it's still relatively cheaper than other major cities. There's jobs. And people seem to be moving here a lot, making it the second fastest growing major city in the US.

Oh, yeah, there's also the F1 that recently opened up here which has also brought XGames. With all of that it brings people moving here and more skyscrapers as condos and apartments are on demand.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:20 AM

The emphasis on going vertical hinges in part on the wisdom of the past two mayors who wanted to reduce urban sprawl, and add 20k plus residents to downtown. By relaxing dated building codes of past short sighted mayors and city members, our skyline was able to showcase taller buildings, and continues to add more. The demand is actually there in all facets, residential, hotels, business. I think its pretty cool that people from all over the US are wondering the same thing as plaid shirts from Utah, but I wonder if all the people on the outside looking at us realize that the majority of us who live here are equally if not more amazed at what's happening in Austin right now. Not surprised, but amazed. In my 30 years here, we went fron 36th largest city to 11th. In a few short years, we will have a skyline worthy of that stat. I can't wait to see us in 5 years...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:30 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The emphasis on going vertical hinges in part on the wisdom of the past two mayors who wanted to reduce urban sprawl, and add 20k plus residents to downtown. By relaxing dated building codes of past short sighted mayors and city members, our skyline was able to showcase taller buildings, and continues to add more. The demand is actually there in all facets, residential, hotels, business. I think its pretty cool that people from all over the US are wondering the same thing as plaid shirts from Utah, but I wonder if all the people on the outside looking at us realize that the majority of us who live here are equally if not more amazed at what's happening in Austin right now. Not surprised, but amazed. In my 30 years here, we went fron 36th largest city to 11th. In a few short years, we will have a skyline worthy of that stat. I can't wait to see us in 5 years...
We're still only the 35th largest metro area, but that's probably up from 50th or 60th largest 30 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We're still only the 35th largest metro area, but that's probably up from 50th or 60th largest 30 years ago.
Yeah, I actually think Austin has a really impressive skyline for its size. Austin is smaller than Sacramento and Portland metros and it outdoes both skylines by a lot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:44 AM

Do you guys in Austin have a map of developments? Kinda hard to track for an out of towner.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Do you guys in Austin have a map of developments? Kinda hard to track for an out of towner.
Yep. Forum poster zedaref has the best map of Austin developments: https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...d6b434ce&msa=0

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:00 AM
Meh

The Marriott is making for some interesting views from the southbound lanes of I-35 alongside UT. Along there and on Red River, and also along South Congress. The Marriott and One Congress Plaza seem to blend together to become one building. The building is definitely changing the dynamic of the skyline from certain angles.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:38 AM

Did anyone see the Skyhouse all lit up tonight? The side lighting looks awesome, and the color is like an aqua blue.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
http://www.austinemergingprojects.com/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:51 PM

Yah Sky house looked pretty awesome tonight. I live right across the river from it and it really makes that side of downtown start to feel more like downtown at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin