HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:34 PM

Do international students becoming citizens contribute to an area's diversity?

I know international students technically do not count as "immigrants" but historically a lot of them did later on in life become citizens, settle down and raise a next generation of kids who are Americans.

Does this tend to increase the diversity of the places they came to study in -- whether they be big cities, college towns, or regular small towns?

Or do the rates of the international students leaving the area, be it back to their home countries, or else moving to a different part of the US, even if they do settle long term, mean that local areas that receive international students don't really increase diversity this way long-term but that the diversity comes from a steady flow of transients?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:07 AM
Never Dell

Of course they do, both while they're students (pre-citizenship) and after.

Obviously some great outcomes can happen later too even if they don't stay in the country. When they're off leading companies in other countries, guess where they often locate their US offices for example, assuming the university's city merits such a thing.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:17 AM

Of course.

I would argue that they contribute more real diversity than multi-generation Americans of different races.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:18 AM

But are they a relatively large contribution in most areas (relative to either non-students or local diversity) as a proportion of the population?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Duh

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:44 AM

I meant to ask if they are a large contribution to most areas' local diversity. I know their presence in the first place obviously counts for diversity at all.

To answer my own question, I'd imagine yes, in the long run, since even if high numbers return, the number that stay probably make a large contribution, plus their kids.

Anyone know how to find stats on what proportion of international students leave the US versus staying, and of the ones that stay, how many stay in the local area?

For example, do international students in say Ann Arbor, or Urbana-Champaign, or Ithaca, contribute very much long-term to the diversity of the Midwest or upstate New York? Or do they not stick around locally and tend to move away?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions