HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Any hints as to where you are expanding next, or the potential speed of expansion? Seems like great speeds so far, but the network is all over the place, concentrated up at SFU?
The focus is currently on Coquitlam City Centre and Downtown Vancouver at the moment. The next large expansion will be in Richmond or New West. As soon as the city of New West completes their fibre backbone that is.

The city of Coquitlam already ran their own fibre network (QNet) so we are able to provide our service just about all over Coquitlam. New West is currently doing the same. Surrey is another possibility.

http://www.newwestcity.ca/2015/02/03...initiative.php

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
What's the point of fiber if it's capped at 25 Mbps?
Fiber will run everything a lot smoother then copper. With copper you can get lots of interference on the line such as EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and Cross talk from other copper.

Also, if he wants to upgrade to a higher speed in the future he can without having a tech come over to upgrade anything.

On Shaw 15 ($63/month)

Last edited by Nites; May 5, 2016 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The focus is currently on Coquitlam City Centre and Downtown Vancouver at the moment. The next large expansion will be in Richmond or New West. As soon as the city of New West completes their fibre backbone that is.

The city of Coquitlam already ran their own fibre network (QNet) so we are able to provide our service just about all over Coquitlam. New West is currently doing the same. Surrey is another possibility.

http://www.newwestcity.ca/2015/02/03...initiative.php
I had no idea municipalities were running their own fibre. Very interesting. Not so great for us on or near the DT Van core, but hopefully somebody will serve us at those speeds soon.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Funny you mentioned UrbanFibre as I work for them.
You guys are doing God's work!

I cannot wait until you expand to more buildings in Metrotown. I am all cabled for you to arrive at any time and on your waiting list. Will also try to do some promoting with our building's Strata Manager, as our building is huge and likely most suites have cables ready (at least us in the upper floors do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
What's the point of fiber if it's capped at 25 Mbps?
Speed wise there is no point, but like skymaster said, it's more stable, there is the readiness to increase speed at any time and our suite had fibre optics modem in place, so why not use it?

The sad thing here is that only Telus provides fibre optics internet service in our building, so I had to choose from their network plans, which only have speeds between 15-150 Mbps (same as their DSL offering). Technically they could do 1 Gbps if they wanted, but Telus being our own Comcast, refuses to offer anything competitive as long as there is no competition. It's the same as in the US, where Google Fibre coming to town makes Comcast and others introduce a similarly-priced 1 Gbps internet the very same day. They just wait until they have to do that.

But since Telus' pricing is a joke, I went with one of the cheapest plans (and truth be told, I don't really need a faster internet). So yeah, it's a waste of the technology at this point and not really any different from having a DSL.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:08 AM

i just got mine installed today, i did a test and it was 7kbps. lol
after hours on the phone finally someone said its still on order and should be functioning properly by midnight. why not just tell me that when you installed it instead of me wasting nearly 4 hours on various calls trying to ask whats going on. grrr.

anyway raises the questions - there are 3 alternatives to telus and shaw, juce, lightspeed and another one something out of ontario which dispite their telephone automated voice saying its only in ontario and quebec does offer service to BC when you finally talk to a real person.

So they offer slightly cheapre than the big two and give you unlimited data unlike the choke with telus etc. which is probably a good thing. Juce requires you to have shaw cable though, the other two use telus lines and they say if your telus is slow they won't be any better.

anyway does anyone go with someone other than telus or shaw? what are some good options out there? specifically Vancouver ISland...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 11:29 PM

On a grandfathered BB100 combo bundle with Shaw...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:06 AM

I'm on bonded DSL. Nothing compared to one of my co-workers who has 1000/1000 fibre connection near SFU (and pays less than half of what I do).

Only hope is the crappy Telus "fibre" being installed this summer, which will be artificially limited to 150 Mbps. A joke compared to rest of the 1st world IMO.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:31 AM
See ya down under, mates

Shaw is raising their rates again in August. Sigh

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Shaw is raising their rates again in August. Sigh
Yep. With their cable tv subscribers declining they need to make up for it one way or the other.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:20 PM

Does anybody know what Telus fibre pricing is like? Or if there are bandwidth limits?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know what Telus fibre pricing is like? Or if there are bandwidth limits?
See my reply above. It's a joke and is 1:1 with their DSL offering. Nothing to dream about.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:50 AM

Got hooked up with Novus gigabit internet today. I was pleasantly surprised to learn my new condo was wired with fibre to each suite.

Incredibly, this is a free 12 month promo with no catch. $129/month after that. My thought is I'll drop down to one of their more standard packages, but this is pretty amazing.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:31 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Got hooked up with Novus gigabit internet today. I was pleasantly surprised to learn my new condo was wired with fibre to each suite.

Incredibly, this is a free 12 month promo with no catch. $129/month after that. My thought is I'll drop down to one of their more standard packages, but this is pretty amazing.

Cost? I'm getting fed up with my shaw internet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

If you're in a Novus-connected building I don't blame you.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 10:44 AM

Changed our plan to the Shaw Internet 150 promo a week ago. $80 a month for two years but it is supposed to change to $130 a month after.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Cost? I'm getting fed up with my shaw internet.
Check my message. Free for 12 months then $129/month.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 12:03 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Check my message. Free for 12 months then $129/month.
Oh haha duh. Is it only available for fiber optic internet?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Yes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry missed your post. Yes. In fact I have fiber right into my suite, not sure if that is required or not. I wonder if this type of wiring is standard in all new condos that would already have fiber running down the street.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 8:41 PM
See ya down under, mates

Shaw has the 150Mbps at $50 for the first year, $80 for the second year deal again. I was paying way more for 60 and should have more $$$ in two years so I jumped on it. As a competitive online gamer it's a no brainer.

Edit: yowza, love the over-delivery

Last edited by Pinion; Oct 9, 2016 at 9:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion