HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:37 AM
BANNED

^ Yep. 22 Thames and 30 Park comes to mind. Maybe even 3 WTC

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
...aaaaaand this is why they should have stuck with the asymmetrical massing. I think this was a huge missed opportunity. Moreover, the antenna/spire looks like it belongs on a Richard Rogers building. The contrast is jarring.

All that said, I don't think it's a bad looking building. Those triangular facets are pretty striking.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:47 AM
weidncol

I like how it turned out. The silouhete is very similar to the old Twin Towers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:33 AM

Off subject but will 1 WTC be in movies like the original twins were? like home alone 2,antz on dvd covers like sorry just wondering thanks

Last edited by rockinrolla; Apr 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM. Reason: different

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:44 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Of course.The WTC is one of the most photographed icons of NYC, especially in the above view with the Statue of Liberty.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:48 AM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
Off subject but will 1 WTC be in movies like the original twins were? like home alone 2,antz on dvd covers like sorry just wondering thanks
Not just One WTC, but the whole complex.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ Of course.The WTC is one of the most photographed icons of NYC, especially in the above view with the Statue of Liberty.
Awesome!! never been to new york really want to visit maybe 1WTC will be open when I'll get the chance too!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

WTC4 is also stunning as well. New Yorks invisible building (From the right angles).

Quote:
Awesome!! never been to new york really want to visit maybe 1WTC will be open when I'll get the chance too!
Get ready to be addicted. And I mean seriously addicted because this city will make you depressed when you leave. Its one of those places that you will just want to come back to again and again. The street life, and just the general beauty is something that will keep you yearning for more. I'm 45 miles away from NYC, been there so many times, and I still to this day love that dam city everytime I'm in it. Never gets boring!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 1:19 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
It's already in movies, and it's been since the day it was built. There's a list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Wor...opular_culture

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
WTC4 is also stunning as well. New Yorks invisible building (From the right angles).

Get ready to be addicted. And I mean seriously addicted because this city will make you depressed when you leave. Its one of those places that you will just want to come back to again and again. The street life, and just the general beauty is something that will keep you yearning for more. I'm 45 miles away from NYC, been there so many times, and I still to this day love that dam city everytime I'm in it. Never gets boring!
No kidding. I live in Ottawa and ever since the day I got my driver's license every time I get antsy I end up in Manhattan 7.5 hours later. I make at least one pilgrimage a year, sometimes two or three, and I don't see it ever ending. I've been to 27 countries and hundreds of cities, but I still believe NYC is truly the greatest city on Earth!!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
It's already in movies, and it's been since the day it was built. There's a list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Wor...opular_culture
On a tangent for just this one post:

They need to remake Deep Impact and Independence day when all the new supertalls finish. The part with New York is epic. ( Skip to 46 second mark). Independence Day was also another movie which showed the older skyline. Of course it didn't end well for it after the Aliens did what they had to do....

Video Link

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rEnHtWPXlZ...s1600/id4c.jpg

http://www.thecityreview.com/cellu10.jpg

Jeez, Hollywood loves to just destroy this city in movies for some reason.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is because for the public is much more impacting when they see some known place destroyed rather that some unknown place. Even if you have never put a foot in NYC, it is one of the most, if not the most, recognizable cities in the world, it is a truly iconic city. So, for the common public, either in the US or any part of the world, it would be more shocking to see NY destroyed that, to say, Houston (except for the houstonites, of course)
I think one of the only exceptios was 2012, they sadistically destroyed Los Angeles and also Washington and Las Vegas, as well as Yellowstone and the Himalayas, but they never destroyed NY in screen (although it was supposed to be destroyed as well, as was the entire US)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:

http://mashable.com/2012/10/29/fake-...-sandy-photos/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 9:51 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:

It's because it's the largest city in the United States, the cultural capital of the United States, and is a skyline that's recognized worldwide. More than most any other city it illicits an emotional connection in the minds of most people, whether they like the city or hate it. And for all those same reasons it's a popular Al Qaeda target not just against the USA but against Westernization in general.

NYC is the modern day Rome.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:28 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
On a tangent for just this one post:

They need to remake Deep Impact and Independence day when all the new supertalls finish. The part with New York is epic. ( Skip to 46 second mark). Independence Day was also another movie which showed the older skyline. Of course it didn't end well for it after the Aliens did what they had to do....

Video Link

For some reason, I doubt a wave that size could destroy this building.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 8:54 AM
D-Block 5 Star General

Quote:

Because if you can destroy NYC you can destroy any city.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:11 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of April 21st, 2014...

©nyonair on Instagram

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Love the Empire State shot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1745238

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/photo-ga...-from-the-sky/

Photo I took yesterday from JFK (4/22/14), very hazy...

Here's a similar, much clearer shot from Solidjake

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:09 PM

Exclamation Earlier this Week

Pictures Taken With a Nokia Lumia 520, pretty neat

and

I'll be running in this weekend's, 9/11 Memorial 5K Run. Here's a preview,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyX2L...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Lengthy article on that TIME magazine piece a while back. Here's a portion...

http://petapixel.com/2014/04/23/jour...freedom-tower/

Journey to the Top of the Freedom Tower
The Amazing Story Behind TIME’s Panorama from Atop the One World Trade Center

Mike Franz
Apr 23, 2014

Quote:
In March of 2013, I found myself back at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. I had been invited there by Illah Nourbakhsh and a couple of their Directors to assist in teaching a group of educators about our EPIC Pro, as well as the benefits of what high-res imaging offered to classrooms.

It was that day that I happened to meet Jonathan Woods, the Senior Photo Editor at TIME, who was there visiting Randy Sargent, one of Gigapan’s founders, about a separate project...... I’d say it was at this point that he really began to consider the possibilities. Because it wasn’t more than a week later that I received an email that said “And now I have an idea! Let’s chat. This could be epic.” The next day we were on a conference call. Plans for the One World Trade Center Panorama had begun.

.....With all the gear ready to go at the base of the spire, we gather together for a brief discussion so I can explain what needs to happen when we get to the top. After we go through things, the ironworkers begin their ascent.

We let two of them get a head start because they are hauling our gear up by hand. That’s right, no nifty elevator to get things to the top. Everything we have, those men have to haul by rope, hand over hand, platform by platform, until it’s at the top. God bless them.

Once the ironworkers are far enough ahead, Jonathan and I start our own ascent: 405 feet, hand over hand, rung by rung. It takes 45 minutes, but finally I make it to the top and take in the most breathtaking view I have ever seen!

Sadly, now is not the time to enjoy the view. Five grown men on a 10-foot wide platform with two 50 pound backpacks and 13 feet of aluminum beam does not leave a lot of room for moving around. It’s a bit like playing Twister at 1,756 feet, which sounds more fun than it is. Once we’re all in what seems to be a logical position on the platform, we set to work.

.....Now that everything is in place, I can finally assume my spot inside the beacon where I will settle in with my laptop, login to the remote CPU and run the show.

It’s amazing to watch all of these images come in; one by one, column by column, until every last one is accounted for. The nice thing about robotic pano heads and Capture Studio is that you can actually get a little downtime while the image is composed. It allows me to take in the view and try and fathom what I am a part of. To take in a city so rich in history from a vantage point that less than 20 people have been to.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive