HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
If you don't have the right-of-way when you need mass transit to your airport in another 10-15 years, where are you going to build the line?
As I said, RoW preservation makes sense. And doesn't require building a half billion dollar rail line right now. Luckily, nothing is threatening the RoW currently, nor is anything planned.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 4:57 PM

I

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 8:58 PM
Meh

I saw a 747 parked at ABIA at the cargo area on Saturday.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I saw a 747 parked at ABIA at the cargo area on Saturday.
Kevin, did you see any remnant damage from the F4 crash we talked about while you were out that way?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:44 AM
Meh

Oh, damn, I forgot to look. haha I'll have to remember next time. I was noticing all the construction there mostly.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 10:38 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Here's the link for future expansion with several terminal options.....

http://www.austintexas.gov/page/airport-master-plan
Yes...but, only one plan was recommended. And that was the one which did not include two additional 12-gate concourses to the current terminal.

See: Chapter 7-Section 1-Page 8 "Recommended Land Use Plan"
http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp7_Part1.pdf

Plans call for a 32-gate north terminal, >21-gate south terminal (lots of room for further gate expansion), and two mid-field concourse structures (>25 gates each; with more room for further gate expansion).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:19 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yes...but, only one plan was recommended. And that was the one which did not include two additional 12-gate concourses to the current terminal.

See: Chapter 7-Section 1-Page 8 "Recommended Land Use Plan"
http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp7_Part1.pdf

Plans call for a 32-gate north terminal, >21-gate south terminal (lots of room for further gate expansion), and two mid-field concourse structures (>25 gates each; with more room for further gate expansion).
WOW!!! That would be friggin' cool if that were to come to fruition!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 4:35 PM

It is great to see the recommended plan has: additional concourse islands; an additional south terminal; simple straight line underground passenger connecter; connecting roadway system; additional cargo facility; a third runway; and ROW for a train to the airport! WOW!

BUT where is the expansion at the existing terminal to handle additional ticket counters, baggage and curbside loading/unloading?

I think the existing roadway to and from the terminal could be moved closer to the parking giving room to curve additions for both upper and lower terminal expansion. Perhaps two gates on each existing concourse might need to be closed for the expansion. Where is the additional curb space, baggage and ticket counters going?

What am I not seeing in this otherwise great plan?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
BUT where is the expansion at the existing terminal to handle additional ticket counters, baggage and curbside loading/unloading?

What am I not seeing in this otherwise great plan?
Aus, the additional set of 21 gates, shown in red to the South of the existing terminal is not just a concourse. It is a full terminal with additional ticket counters, curbside access, etc. Is that what you were looking for?

Also, the two terminals are connected by the underground spine roads shown to the east and west of both terminals. That's a pretty cool way to do it.

Side note: I would like to see the light rail connection continue beneath the tarmac to the second terminal like the Heathrow Express stops at T5 and T1/3, but this plan does not seem to include that.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Aus, the additional set of 21 gates, shown in red to the South of the existing terminal is not just a concourse. It is a full terminal with additional ticket counters, curbside access, etc. Is that what you were looking for?

Also, the two terminals are connected by the underground spine roads shown to the east and west of both terminals. That's a pretty cool way to do it.

Side note: I would like to see the light rail connection continue beneath the tarmac to the second terminal like the Heathrow Express stops at T5 and T1/3, but this plan does not seem to include that.
This is very similar to detroit's new delta terminal... it is accessed by an entirely different road and has separate ticket counters from the other airlines. makes sense for a hub... not sure about a non hub. The other variant is Atlanta with seperate terminals connected by train but only one ticket counter and access road.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Well...perhaps. Thanks. If the South Terminal is completed, with enough curb space...etc. to accommodate the additional traffic, before the Barbara Jordan Terminal gets overwhelmed. This preferred plan is a good proposal for ABIA. It appears to use the acreage efficiently for the different types of uses. The underground loop road and third runway are great.

I have to assume the new terminal will accommodate the additional auto traffic. Houston's Intercontinental for example; has some very congested and difficult curbside pickup areas. ABIA's is getting close to congested now.

Do you know if the two island concourses are to be built before the new terminal? What are the projected phases?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:50 AM

I saw another 747 operated by Atlas Air cruising to the terminal today as I was driving on 35. According to the flight tracker, it flew from Chicago. Are these 747s F1 related?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 5:00 PM

[q

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 7:20 PM
Meh

Man I bet the airport is busy. I was outside most of the day yesterday, and every 5 minutes or less all day long there were planes flying over our neighborhood toward the airport. I'll be interested to see what the numbers are for September and October.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 9:52 PM
Member since 2001

The proposed South Terminal will have "island" ticket counters; similar to ones seen in newer airports abroad (and some domestically). This type of design is far superior to what currently exists at ABIA and will allow for more passenger check-in's per SF and easier/faster screening of baggage.

Under the "recommended plan," I do not remember if there will be adjustments to the current road structure and ticketing areas of the North Terminal (considering only seven gates are being added). With the expansion capabilities of a new South Terminal, I believe the vast majority of passengers will eventually be passing through that terminal and not via the North. This includes the possibility of mid-field concourses...I still believe the South Terminal will be designed to handle all of the "new" traffic.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 9:53 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
No. They are for the race a few weeks back. Should be a few more coming in to fly out the remaining cargo in the next couple of days. Was talking with Air Ops and they told me all the airlines are upgauging aircraft and frequency for F1 this year.

For ACL Fest Delta has upgauged several flights to 75's this week and next....
I assume this is in addition to the regularly scheduled B752's?!?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man I bet the airport is busy. I was outside most of the day yesterday, and every 5 minutes or less all day long there were planes flying over our neighborhood toward the airport. I'll be interested to see what the numbers are for September and October.
August passenger totals got posted today.

August 2013 Passenger, Cargo traffic at Austin-Bergstrom

Quote:
Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for August 2013 was 877,727, up 4.5%* compared to August 2012.

[SNIP]

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for January – August YTD was 6,655,817 up 5.5%* compared to January – August 2012.
*The press release always rounds the percentage increase up or down, but it you look at the Aviation Activity Report the percentage of increase is exact. August traffic was actually up 4.62% and Y-T-D traffic was up 5.69%

August international passenger traffic (including non-revenue passengers) was 6,187 and Y-T-D international passenger traffic was 37,996.

In other news:

Breaking ground on terminal expansion; New system maximizes airline space

It's basically about the Terminal East Infill program breaking ground and the common-use computer systems that have been installed at Gates 2, 3, & 21 as well as at some of the ticket counter positions in the West Ticketing Lobby, that will be used by Aeromar, British Airways, Allegiant, and Virgin and possible new carriers that will only operate one or two flight per day.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 4:55 PM

T

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 7:28 AM
Meh

^Yeah, I saw a couple of smal cranes at the airport today. I was wonder what they were working on. From 71, they were in front of the terminal.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:28 PM

[q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin