HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:26 PM

sorry to break it to you, but the Hamilton A line has a LOOONNG way to go before it is built. (as in 20+ years) if things go well though, you should be getting the B line soon.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Waterloo representing!
Just to be clear - that is Kitchener.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:16 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
sorry to break it to you, but the Hamilton A line has a LOOONNG way to go before it is built. (as in 20+ years) if things go well though, you should be getting the B line soon.
The goal seems to be to build both the A and B lines within 15 years, B-line first.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:19 PM

yep but the province is only really planning to fund the B line. It is the only one in the Big Move phase 2. (the portion that will last until 2025 and use transit taxes to fund)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Just found this thread, and I am in love. Developments like this are my favourite. Turning a mall into the Brentwood Town Centre is completely awesome, and the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is just more awesomeness.
Brentwood Town Centre is already the name of the mall, and it will continue to be an indoor mall, it will just have towers around it and possibly some street level retail.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Just to be clear - that is Kitchener.
My ignorance of eastern Canada is showing damn it. My bad.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Brentwood Town Centre is already the name of the mall, and it will continue to be an indoor mall, it will just have towers around it and possibly some street level retail.
I believe all of the new inner streets will be lined with retail, so quite alot actually.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:57 AM

Burlington, Ontario

Five, 20-storey condominiums proposed beside Burlington GO

- approximately 925 residential units
- commercial and office space

Source

South Elevation:

Source

North Elevation:

Source

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:59 AM
ARTchitecture

Westbrook TOD:

100_2470 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

100_2539 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

100_2541 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

100_2542 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 12:41 AM

All of a sudden I can't copy satellite images off of Google Earth. Frustrating.

The parking lots are so huge around Coquitlam Center, it seems like a given that this will be another mall that gets redeveloped. There's enough paking lot on the south side of the mall to create a retail street that would be 5 blocks (500m) long. It will be the only regional town center with both a Skytrain station and a West Coast Express station, which gets commuters into DT Vancouver in less than half an hour.

These excellent transit options should be a strong catalyst for a lot of high density TOD.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:30 AM

that parking lot fills up pretty often, they already lost some parking a few years ago and i don't think the city wants retail along lougheed, they want it and are getting it to the north of coquitlam centre

i really don't see what they could put out there other than some restaurants since its all mall property

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Well, we've seen massings of the ultimate buildout by the City of Coquitlam, and they show condos with retail podiums in place of all the parking lots in Coquitlam Centre, and in the bus loop, Chrysler Dealership, pinetree centre stipmall, etc.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 4:28 AM

can i see this maybe?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:29 AM

A billion dollar project, a dollar store video about it.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:34 AM

This was at Union Station the last 10 Days.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Silver

Vantage
Would love if Westbrook TOD could get something close to these two buildings on the south side of Bow Trail.

From what was mentioned on the main Calgary construction forum it is wishful hoping though and it wont even be close to that level.

A sad waste for the Calgary TOD that has the largest potential with awesome views of the city, a golf course, and a 5 minute train ride to the city center.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 8:03 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet! Wesbrook Village at UBC is one of the biggest TODs in the country, and is a rare Greenfield TOD, built in old growth forest adjacent to a regional park of protected forest, and walking distance to great recreational amenities at UBC and the beach. A total of eleven highrises will be built there (two completed, one under construction) and the whole area is half built already. That includes a walkable mixed use town square with cool retail, innumerbale midirse projects, and some gorgeous townhomes and parks. The transit that it's oriented around is the 41 bus that goes down the main street, and the many buses lines which stop with great frequency at 16th avenue coming to and from UBC.

GREAT photo tour at this address:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&...60655887954237

EDIT: found that google maps now has 45 degree angle satellite images of the area that are up to date enough to show:

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=49.254162...06641&t=k&z=18

Last edited by BIMBAM; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
ARTchitecture

University City - Calgary

I likey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Some updates of University City. More Here

I like the way the colors strike against the blue sky.

University City by Calgary Construction 8, on Flickr

University City by Calgary Construction 8, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet! Wesbrook Village at UBC is one of the biggest TODs in the country, and is a rare Greenfield TOD, built in old growth forest adjacent to a regional park of protected forest, and walking distance to great recreational amenities at UBC and the beach. A total of eleven highrises will be built there (two completed, one under construction) and the whole area is half built already. That includes a walkable mixed use town square with cool retail, innumerbale midirse projects, and some gorgeous townhomes and parks. The transit that it's oriented around is the 41 bus that goes down the main street, and the many buses lines which stop with great frequency at 16th avenue coming to and from UBC.

GREAT photo tour at this address:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&...60655887954237

EDIT: found that google maps now has 45 degree angle satellite images of the area that are up to date enough to show:

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=49.254162...06641&t=k&z=18
We have a condo in Hampton Place across the st and while I am being a hypocrite here, it is sad at how much old growth is being lost here. That said there is a desperate need for housing and some services out there. I suppose a good amount of the development was not on actual old growth, ie UBC service buildings/space/NRC land, but still. Tough to balance things out in this circumstance. Thankfully much of Pacific Spirit is still intact and not going anywhere.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:58 AM

The new stuff at UBC are nice, but being near a bus stop (and far away from the future M-line extension) doesn't make it "transit oriented development".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Would love if Westbrook TOD could get something close to these two buildings on the south side of Bow Trail.

From what was mentioned on the main Calgary construction forum it is wishful hoping though and it wont even be close to that level.

A sad waste for the Calgary TOD that has the largest potential with awesome views of the city, a golf course, and a 5 minute train ride to the city center.
These two pomo piles aren't any better than the existing ones at Westbrook... there are better examples

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada