HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:25 PM

Those balconies that are facing us in that render, i.e. the ones that take up almost the full width of the building, are all over Toronto condos for some reason and they look awful. Vancouver has been fortunate enough so far (due to design constraints?) to have smaller/more interestingly placed balcony designs, so hopefully this is not the actual render.

We can do better!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Well... if they refined the design such that it wasn't as boxy, I might like it more. But at present, it just looks like any other condo in Vancouver, if not worse.
I like it because it looker a lot cleaner than any condo in downtown Vancouver (where the floorplate is manipulated into bizarre polygon shapes with various protusions) to preserve neighbouring views and the balconies are postage stamp sized.

At the pedestrian level, the plazas, trees, shops, etc. will compensate for any sterility up above.

For the north and south facades, it looks like the balconies are shifted to one side (like Festival Tower in Toronto) - I prefer centred ones better. Hopefully the balony glass will be fritted to hide any clutter.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:56 AM

Wow, I love that render.

So will this be the third tallest building in greater Vancouver?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I really like the render. If they could building it looking that clean, I'd love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Wow, I love that render.

Have to admit that, upon looking again, I really like it too.
It's free of gimmicky boxes, excessive spandrel, colored stripes, or crazy angles. And I don't find it "sterile," either. Simply rather sleek.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:02 AM
Rational urbanist

I agree. Much better than the condos we have on False Creek

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Wow, I love that render.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1520479&page=3
Metrotown development will be taller. Sorry mate.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousands Wouldn't View Post
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1520479&page=3
Metrotown development will be taller. Sorry mate.
I am pretty sure the Station Square buildings were reduced in height. so theoretically when built this could be the third tallest. that is unless or until another one is announced.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:40 PM

This will be the third tallest only behind Shangri-La and Trump.

We will have to see how high Aviara 2 will go up, if it will go up at all.

Mixed feelings about the render.

Its clean, but very conservative - boring.

I also feel the render does a poor job reflecting the height, this will be a tall building. Roughly the height of Trump, but the render with no points of reference makes the building look like any other 30 story condo.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
This will be the third tallest only behind Shangri-La and Trump.

We will have to see how high Aviara 2 will go up, if it will go up at all.

Mixed feelings about the render.

Its clean, but very conservative - boring.

I also feel the render does a poor job reflecting the height, this will be a tall building. Roughly the height of Trump, but the render with no points of reference makes the building look like any other 30 story condo.
Not crazy about the render either. Doesn't seem to flatter the grand vision.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousands Wouldn't View Post
Not crazy about the render either. Doesn't seem to flatter the grand vision.
I guess they expect retail/entertainment podium to take all the attention.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
The main way to compare is the height to width ratio - which, as you mentin, makes it look like a 30 storey tower.
I think that means it'll be pretty wide!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 10:03 PM

The height here is absolutely amazing, but the design is exactly like everything going up in Toronto. Not a huge fan of this design style.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The main way to compare is the height to width ratio - which, as you mentin, makes it look like a 30 storey tower.
I think that means it'll be pretty wide!

Indeed. Not that its a bad thing. A nice wide floor plate can hopefully mean some well laid out units.

Each time I look at Trump I'm dumbfounded at how awkward and small the units will be, it will be nice to (hopefully) see the opposite here.

I suppose its best to reserve judgement for later, when more angles are available.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Most apartment blocks around the world look like commie blocks, and many having small windows (especially in hotter climates). Vancouver's apartment buildings have a lot of clear glass (dubbed 'seafoam glass'), and this itself is an identity. Could be monotonous to many living here as we are used to and even tired of their looks, but certainly a unique Vancouver identity.

If you disagree with me, please show me another city outside Canada with a downtown full of condos that look like those in Yaletown or Coal Harbour?

I do, however, agree with you that more unique buildings or skyscrapers need to be built here, something that is out-of-the-box. The Trump building and Vancouver House would, hopefully, be the new benchmark for new projects.

Those buildings at Brentwood would still look awesome when built, nevertheless. I prefer tall buildings to a mere parking lot.

well,u hit the point. we got too many things looking the same or very similar.

we had glassy blocks for a decade or more, van needs to shine awy from that. can u remember anything creative in that first decade?

i'm also tired of suburban malls with bright lights. the thing about vancouverism is that it has been so consistent, and u see massive number of buildings iwth the same philosohpy or style, which u'd see a minamlist version else where. (there r a lot fo places like false creek without a detail on aesthetic, but ships and condos mxied togehter is nothing unique)

high desnity livig is not an unique vancouver concept outside of north america, it's gone boring because of how dominant that philosphy is. however, i have to say that new projects (with similar emphasis on balcony and window space) have taken on a vareity of different shapes in temrs of balconies. however, we don thav a lot of areas that we have diff styles mixed together, it's usually either glass all ovr teh place, or windows and balconies (especially richmond) mixed together. and things are changing tehse days, with rogers, urban resort, the wave, howe and trump being the exceptions. it's sort of exciting to see that change.

then again, i dont advice ppl to sit back and say how good our average quality of things are, TED has chosen this city and you gota show some spirit right nwo as a host city.
vancouver will have more international presence,and it's the right time to show off some ideas.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Indeed. Not that its a bad thing. A nice wide floor plate can hopefully mean some well laid out units.

Each time I look at Trump I'm dumbfounded at how awkward and small the units will be, it will be nice to (hopefully) see the opposite here.

I suppose its best to reserve judgement for later, when more angles are available.
something to keep in mind is building that look "interesting" from the outside usually translates into added construction costs. although not very visually dazzling square floor plates usually means most efficient use of space and construction dollars. if the goal is to try and keep the selling prices as close to affordable as possible then this is the way to go. different when selling waterfront dntn where you can get $1,500 to $2,000 per foot.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 11:59 PM

I am not sure if this recent or old, but it sure tells you how much taller the new towers will be in comparison to anything currently existing in the area. Sorry for the small size, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the URL to make it larger.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 2:53 AM

So these two first phase towers are twin towers, right? But only one has been proposed so far ?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 4:24 PM

^^ That rendering is insane!! Really dwarfs everything around it. I can't wait to see this project go up!

Last edited by idunno; Mar 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am not sure if this recent or old, but it sure tells you how much taller the new towers will be in comparison to anything currently existing in the area. Sorry for the small size, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the URL to make it larger.

Holy, if the scale and perspective are correct this tower will be an absolute beast. This render definitely does a much better job showing off the height compared to the street level view posted on the page before.

Also, it won't look so lonely once Altus and Stratos go up on the SoLo side, Stratus in particular is quite tall also.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
So these two first phase towers are twin towers, right? But only one has been proposed so far ?
I think it's a matter of they want to get tower one approved before they start submitting documents on tower two, but yes, there are two towers in the first phase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley