HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 10:07 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Spoken like a true has been. I'm sure Princeton and West Point alum wax poetic about the first half of the 20th century and their football dominance.
I will say, leaving the Big 12 has had a noticeable impact on my Thanksgiving traditions... forever, the Friday after Thanksgiving was for the Nebraska game. Even in a bad season, that was a day that was held open for football. I have to admit, nothing has replaced it - either for CU football, or for my Friday - I generally just sit around now.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I will say, leaving the Big 12 has had a noticeable impact on my Thanksgiving traditions... forever, the Friday after Thanksgiving was for the Nebraska game. Even in a bad season, that was a day that was held open for football. I have to admit, nothing has replaced it - either for CU football, or for my Friday - I generally just sit around now.
I agree to since CU left the Big 12 I don't even follow them like I use too-heck CU still really belongs in the Big 12 and not playing these left coast teams.

But then again Nebraska jumped to the Big 10.

Scott

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 3:51 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Oh, the Pac is a much better home for the Buffs in every conceivable way, except that we lose the Nebraska rivalry. But since they bolted once we left anyway, there's no reason to think about the Big 12 ever again. It's the I-35 Conference now. Who cares.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:41 AM

It is more money that is it. It has destroyed our Texas pipeline and somehow weakened our Cali pipe line. Once we moved our recruitment moved down with it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:16 PM
cities|transit|croissants

CU's recruitment problems are all about CU. The conference affiliation is a handy excuse.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:54 AM

No its not. New top of the line better than most NFL facilities, strong chance of immediate play time, freq voted most beautiful campus in the US especially PAC 12, good party school, and also the 32nd best school in the world.

We had much less to offer when we were in the BIG 12 than now and got better recruits. Not many Texans want to play in the PAC 12 they want the Big 12 their house hold tradition. And the PAC 12 players want to play for the few teams that are age old powerhouse PAC 12 teams. When they don't want PAC 12 they used to look at CU, Nebraska and Texas. Now pretty much just Tex.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:09 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
We had much less to offer when we were in the BIG 12 than now and got better recruits. Not many Texans want to play in the PAC 12 they want the Big 12 their house hold tradition. And the PAC 12 players want to play for the few teams that are age old powerhouse PAC 12 teams. Now pretty much just Tex.
That's bull. If they were only looking at Texas, Texas wouldn't suck.

Age old powerhouses? If that were the case, the LA schools would be better than they are. You're just making stuff up. Oregon isn't age old anything.

Quote:
No its not. New top of the line better than most NFL facilities, strong chance of immediate play time, freq voted most beautiful campus in the US especially PAC 12, good party school, and also the 32nd best school in the world.
Coldest weather in the Pac12. Lily white. Women who don't shave their pits. That's not the sort of beautiful 18 year olds are looking for. Snow. Fans who don't care. Because they're all out playing in the snow. And a relatively culture-less, boring town. Party school rankings are about douchey frat boys and keggers - D1 football players can be more discerning, given the option. The Walrus isn't a good option.

Last edited by bunt_q; Dec 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:22 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Texas is only one of several recruiting hotspots. Other hotspots include California, Flordia, Georgia, Missouri, and (interestingly enough) New Jersey if we go by 3-star or better recruits per school.

For what it's worth, CU did convince three 3-star or better Florida recruits to commit to next year, including 1 4-star. CU's last 5-star recruit was Darrell Scott, way back in 2008. He was a massive bust. Looking at the rivals site linked above, 2008 was the last decent recruiting class, on paper at least. The failed legacy of Dan Hawkins still lives on!

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:09 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
freq voted most beautiful campus in the US especially PAC 12, good party school, and also the 32nd best school in the world.
Dude, no. Not "especially the PAC 12." Apples to apples the PAC 12 has one of the most diverse and beautiful portfolios of campuses. Berkeley is probably considered the prettiest. Arizona State is the party school. College football is pretty much like professional sports; players balance how much they will get to play with the quality of the team and facilities and go wherever they have to go to become a pro. They don't give a fuck if it means the school is pretty or not.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Dude, no. Not "especially the PAC 12." Apples to apples the PAC 12 has one of the most diverse and beautiful portfolios of campuses. Berkeley is probably considered the prettiest. Arizona State is the party school. College football is pretty much like professional sports; players balance how much they will get to play with the quality of the team and facilities and go wherever they have to go to become a pro. They don't give a fuck if it means the school is pretty or not.
CU has been rated the the #1 in the PAC 12 2 years running.
http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...ns-expert-poll
Berkeley dis 7 just in this poll. ( Of course now there are tons made up by Yahoo going after link clicks) The campus's look plays a huge freaking role. That is a big piece of how the old coach Mac who got us our title got recruits to take over other schools like Neb ( Watch the ESPN 30 for 30). CU like AS are both almost always in the top 10 for party. Only thing is in quality of Education we spank them.

Players want playing time as much as wins. If you play 3 years for a average school it increases your chances of going to the next level because of the skills you build by getting actual playing time. Look at Crawley. Even though I think he sucks his 4 years on the field will likely get him in the draft. If he went to say Ohio St where he had an offer he would have probably never seen the field.

Also Darrell Scott wasn't a bust at all. The dumb arse Hawkins didn't know how to play him. Just because he was big they tried to run him up the gut every time which we didn't have the O line to make a hole. How ever if you pitched him the ball or gave him a sweep to the outside you were almost guaranteed at least 25 yards.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Texas is only one of several recruiting hotspots. Other hotspots include California, Flordia, Georgia, Missouri, and (interestingly enough) New Jersey if we go by 3-star or better recruits per school.

For what it's worth, CU did convince three 3-star or better Florida recruits to commit to next year, including 1 4-star. CU's last 5-star recruit was Darrell Scott, way back in 2008. He was a massive bust. Looking at the rivals site linked above, 2008 was the last decent recruiting class, on paper at least. The failed legacy of Dan Hawkins still lives on!
This is kinda my point. We are going to Florida and NJ and DC getting scattered parts from a area each year instead of a consistent steady pipeline. It used to be rough guess 80% of our roster was CO, TX and SO Cal. Now it is all the F over.

I guess Hawkins Fing that can be a valid other option. But Mac coaching San Jose and doing so well there should be a bigger whole for Cali.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 9:31 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Bull shit!!!

Well I'm chalking this up as a complete disappointing season. How the hell does the Utes with a 9-3 record, finish 2nd in the South ( http://pac-12.com/football/standings ) get passed up by the Holiday bowl, Sun Bowl. ect to have to lower ourselves to BY-who's level to have to play them in the goddamn Vegas Bowl again!!! It's a insult!!! The Utes were no worst then in 4th place in all of the PAC-12, yet we end playing in a bowl game that was meant for a 6th place PAC-12 team. WTF?
So a 9-3 record in the PAC-12 isn't good enough to get us a better bowl game????
I won't be watching!!! Thanks for giving BYU fans what they wanted. How fucking embarrassing this is for us. Why even play in the PAC-12 if we are just going to get robbed by having to play in a bowl game that is meant for Mountain West Conference or Independence teams.
Win or lose, where the Utes were at the first half of the season to only end up with fucking BYU is a joke!!! Might just as well stayed in the Mountain West Conference if the "Piss Bowl" is where we are going to end up after every year, no matter how good of a record we finish at. 9-3 record should of got us a higher/better bowl game. Utah got robbed.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Dec 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Well I'm chalking this up as a complete disappointing season. How the hell does the Utes with a 9-3 record, finish 2nd in the South ( http://pac-12.com/football/standings ) get passed up by the Holiday bowl, Sun Bowl. ect to have to lower ourselves to BY-who's level to have to play them in the goddamn Vegas Bowl again!!! It's a insult!!! The Utes were no worst then in 4th place in all of the PAC-12, yet we end playing in a bowl game that was meant for a 6th place PAC-12 team. WTF?
So a 9-3 record in the PAC-12 isn't good enough to get us a better bowl game????
I won't be watching!!! Thanks for giving BYU fans what they wanted. How fucking embarrassing this is for us. Why even play in the PAC-12 if we are just going to get robbed by having to play in a bowl game that is meant for Mountain West Conference or Independence teams.
Win or lose, where the Utes were at the first half of the season to only end up with fucking BYU is a joke!!! Might just as well stayed in the Mountain West Conference if the "Piss Bowl" is where we are going to end up after every year, no matter how good of a record we finish at. 9-3 record should of got us a higher/better bowl game. Utah got robbed.
You have some large issues, my friend. Sheesh.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 11:43 PM
Engineer

He's just passionate wrendog. We already knew that.

I work in an office with an overwhelming majority of Utah fans. I barely care about football, and I'm not even particularly fond of BYU and may even attend the U for grad school, but being a BYU grad people are always giving me so much crap about Utah being in the Pac-12 and that BYU folks are independent losers and I just wave it off. I laughed when I heard the news about the Las Vegas Bowl. Just when we all thought Utah had proven they are above and beyond their old foes, now an opportunity to humble these annoying Yewts has come along, although I'm not getting my hopes up. I fully expect BYU to lose. I'm hoping for a barnburner though, with BYU eeking out a win!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:24 AM

The Vegas bowl is a huge disappointment as a Ute fan. They deserved better, but I guess if you fizzle out when it counts most, that's what you get, PAC12 or not. On the other hand, it'll be fun to watch the old rivals play in a bowl.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:32 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
You have some large issues, my friend. Sheesh.
Ok?, What "large issues" are these? You can't tell me there's any happy ute fans right now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:05 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Welcome to the Pac-12 Utah.

A 6-6 record gets you to the.... Las Vegas Bowl.
A 12-0 record gets you to the.... Las Vegas Bowl.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:40 AM

I'm just messing with you, projects. You are very passionate and you've also swallowed the "we are superior because Pac 12!!!!" hook. It's all good. Most Ute fans have.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 3:30 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I'm just messing with you, projects. You are very passionate and you've also swallowed the "we are superior because Pac 12!!!!" hook. It's all good. Most Ute fans have.
I know. I'm not saying it's not going to be a good game. I expect both teams to be firing on all cylinders. Should be a sell out with a great turnout. But Utah did get robbed today.
However as for this game as a Utes fan my biggest concern is our offense or lack thereof. I'm not even sure if the 19th is enough time for Booker to fully recover. Without Booker I don't think Utah wins this.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:27 AM

Here's a preview of BYU's game plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEm2...ature=youtu.be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West