HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 2:33 PM

That was one of the craziest ends to a football game I've seen in quite a while. It's rare that the fans can effect the outcome of a game, but they sure put that Utah victory at risk.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
as we may be the worst Division I team in all of football.
I don't know, the University of Idaho could give you a run for the money for that title.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
I don't know, the University of Idaho could give you a run for the money for that title.
Idaho would beat Colorado. Bank on it.

Give me a couple days of mourning after that heart breaker and then I can focus on the excitement of the BYU - Boise St. game. Should be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 10:24 PM

The Buffs are a disgrace to their conference and the state of Colorado. The Big 12 traded up getting rid of them.

People in the Denver metro could care less about them anyway, it's all about the Broncos.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Colorado is so terrible because all the players are freshman. We basically already started over, this year.

But I'm now seriously wondering if Embree will survive the season. A month ago I'd have said he gets this year as a no-expectations mulligan and the real pressure doesn't start again until next season, but the first 3 games could not have gone any worse. Unless they start showing a lot better, or maybe unless Embree starts absolutely killing it in recruiting (unlikely), it's hard to see him here for a 3rd season.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Truth in the last two posts. Honestly, Peyton Manning might be the best thing the Buffs have going for them this year. Less attention is exactly what they want right now. Especially Embree.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:43 AM
They all float down here

Embree is done. I just don't think you can come back from this disastrous of a start. There is no evidence, outside last year's fluky win over Utah, that he can get the job done. It's entirely possible the Buffaloes go 0-12 (though, I suspect they'll still beat Utah...grr) and if they do, I don't see how you bring him back.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:10 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Embree is done. I just don't think you can come back from this disastrous of a start. There is no evidence, outside last year's fluky win over Utah, that he can get the job done. It's entirely possible the Buffaloes go 0-12 (though, I suspect they'll still beat Utah...grr) and if they do, I don't see how you bring him back.
Which means the program has to start over again and another four years or mediocrity are assured. I'm sure that CU could crawl back up to somewhat half-ass decency even with a decade of being terrible. But, after that decade the odds of CU ever being competitive again really start to diminish. I'm betting that CU continues to be a god-awful embarrassment for another five years and then has a program that celebrates a .500 season as being decent.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:15 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I won't really worry until we schedule CSU-Pweeblo.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:47 PM

in a related note the Board of Regents at Colorado was presented with 3 firms who bid on stadium improvements and an indoor practice facility. The got the proposals on Sept 11th. It will be interesting on what the final product will look like.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:19 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
in a related note the Board of Regents at Colorado was presented with 3 firms who bid on stadium improvements and an indoor practice facility. The got the proposals on Sept 11th. It will be interesting on what the final product will look like.
The Colorado Daily has some renderings. Not sure if they are current, and they're pretty underwhelming. But here:

From here: http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_2139...#axzz26kr0PaHu

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:23 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
That's exciting. Any idea as to when they will make them public?

The only thing I've seen are these concepts:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:31 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
The Colorado Daily has some renderings. Not sure if they are current, and they're pretty underwhelming. But here:
An underwhelming tribute to failure?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:06 AM
Stay Thirsty.

So we will get a huge extra facility to the east and some big-ass CU signs. W00t.

Actually it also looks like they are adding some more seats to the West side of the stadium instead of the hideous press wall that's there now. That should up capacity by about 2,000 or so.

If we ever got good enough to expand again they could easily add a 3rd deck to the south horseshoe stands and add another 12,000-15,000 seats. The stadium would go all the way to Colorado Blvd but that could be alleviated by making it a tunnel support structure similar to what's on the east stands. I dream of those days, alas, it may be awhile. We suck.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:21 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

That model actually doesn't match the renderings that were posted. It may not add much capacity and they may not be great seats, but I really like the idea of finishing the bowl on the north side of the stadium rather than having those two gaps in the corners that make it look a little bit like a high school stadium.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:41 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
So we will get a huge extra facility to the east and some big-ass CU signs. W00t.

Actually it also looks like they are adding some more seats to the West side of the stadium instead of the hideous press wall that's there now. That should up capacity by about 2,000 or so.

If we ever got good enough to expand again they could easily add a 3rd deck to the south horseshoe stands and add another 12,000-15,000 seats. The stadium would go all the way to Colorado Blvd but that could be alleviated by making it a tunnel support structure similar to what's on the east stands. I dream of those days, alas, it may be awhile. We suck.
The practice facility is much needed. These kids are playing in an inflatible bubble now.

Raising capacity is not the top priority of the renovations. Especially when CU sucks so bad. However, the biggest change will be conversion of some/all the bench seating to individual seat back chairs. I'm not sure how much of it will be converted, but that might make the capacity a wash even with the completion of the bowl on the north side.

And, for the record, the Balch Fieldhouse (west side press box) is badass and unlike anything in college stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunt
That model actually doesn't match the renderings that were posted. It may not add much capacity and they may not be great seats, but I really like the idea of finishing the bowl on the north side of the stadium rather than having those two gaps in the corners that make it look a little bit like a high school stadium.
Eh, there are dozens of NCAA FBS stadiums that are not completely enclosed. They look fine.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:56 PM

Balch is going to absolutely change, and the horsehoe will be gone and replaced by a bowl. They want somone to be able to walk all the way around of the top level of the stadium. And yes while Balch is pretty cool, it serves absolutely no purpose. I don't know how much they incorporate into the plans. I would expect seating to be bumped to about 65k.

As for the practice facility it is going to sit on top of a parking garage, which is an interesting idea.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 9:21 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Looks reasonable enough to me. It will help balance out the massively tall east side addition from 10 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 9:51 PM

Thoughts on the BSU BYU game, Boiseites?

I think BYU bounces back after their heartbreaking loss, but I don't think it will be enough. BSU is too good on the smurf turf..

BSU 27
BYU 23

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 9:58 PM

'27' looks about right for Boise State. We miss at least one extra point a game and we can't make a field goal. Boise State and BYU should sign an agreement barring kickers from entering the stadium. Ball starts on the 20. Go for it on 4th down/2-point conversion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West