HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 6:58 AM

Well FWIW CBS2Chicago News is schuduled to move in around Fall-Christmas time of next year...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:13 AM
Chicago

October 31, 2006

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:16 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
^ I'll pay one of you guys $15 to go to this thing and report back what you found
It's not the money, it's just the sucky timing of these things.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 2:05 AM

^Solar,
I assume in your pic, the base of the core is actually the basement level, i.e. the building site has already been excavated down about 1 story?

Things should get reeeeal interesting once the CTA tunneling project gets in full swing (Notice-to-Proceed was already issued I think, and the whole project has about a 1.5 year schedule according to the contract). Apparently a significant cost factor in the tunneling ($94 million just for the tunneling, not including the station construction and track/signal work, total cost around $200 million, which is INSANE for a 1 block long subway) are the assorted contingencies, insurance, and additional design/construction work (such as special equipment) involved to protect the Reliance and Delaware Buildings

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 2:15 AM
Registered

An architect friend of mine apparently has seen early renderings of the Superstation at Block 37. It reminded him of the DC Metro stations (by Chicagoan Harry Weese, of course).

Has anyone seen these renderings, or plans of the station? I am crossing my fingers that Calatrava's station at Ground Zero has reminded everyone of how beautiful a downtown station can be.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 3:17 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
An architect friend of mine apparently has seen early renderings of the Superstation at Block 37. It reminded him of the DC Metro stations (by Chicagoan Harry Weese, of course).

Has anyone seen these renderings, or plans of the station? I am crossing my fingers that Calatrava's station at Ground Zero has reminded everyone of how beautiful a downtown station can be.
^ No, but would you be able to get these renderings from your friend? I think we all would love to see them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 4:19 AM
Registered

^ Sorry, no luck there. This was at a meeting up in the Gensler office, I think. Getting them and sharing with you all was my first thought, of course.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 5:59 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
^Solar,
I assume in your pic, the base of the core is actually the basement level, i.e. the building site has already been excavated down about 1 story?

Things should get reeeeal interesting once the CTA tunneling project gets in full swing (Notice-to-Proceed was already issued I think, and the whole project has about a 1.5 year schedule according to the contract). Apparently a significant cost factor in the tunneling ($94 million just for the tunneling, not including the station construction and track/signal work, total cost around $200 million, which is INSANE for a 1 block long subway) are the assorted contingencies, insurance, and additional design/construction work (such as special equipment) involved to protect the Reliance and Delaware Buildings
Yep - it's definitely below-grade, not sure how many feet exactly but probably 1 - 1.5 stories...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 6:02 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
^ Sorry, no luck there. This was at a meeting up in the Gensler office, I think. Getting them and sharing with you all was my first thought, of course.
So is Gensler the design architect for the station itself?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:12 PM
Registered

I have heard so many conflicting reports about that, but from what I currently know, I think that is correct.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 9:44 PM
THAT Guy

danthediscoman on SSC found this CBS2 "webcam" of the construction site

http://cbs2chicago.com/webcams/local...9/view?slide=7

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 12:32 AM

Venture Signs For Block 37 Office, Residential Rights
By Robert Carr Email this story | Printer-friendly | Reprints

108 N. State(To read more on the multifamily market, click here.)
(For more retail coverage, click GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)

CHICAGO-A joint venture between Chicago-based Golub & Co. and the New York-based BlackRock investment firm has closed on the purchase of land and air rights at 108 N. State St., under development by the troubled Mills Corp., to build a 17-story office building, a 416-unit apartment building and a 381-unit condominium tower. Michael Newman, Golub's president and chief executive officer, would not divulge the purchase price, but said the complex the company plans to build will cost more than $450 million. Golub will build the residential units on top of the Mills Corp.'s planned retail building on the site, also known as Block 37.

Since its financial troubles became public last year, Mills has encountered the same doubt that's been attached to the site for years. Developers have tried and failed numerous times to build on the block bounded by State, Randolph, Dearborn and Washington, the vacant site of a former mixed-use development torn down decades ago.
However, Newman told GlobeSt.com that his company is ready to go on the 440,000-sf office building, which is already 80 percent pre-leased to CBS 2 for a broadcast center, and the offices of Morningstar Inc. Newman says he has full confidence that Mills will get its retail portion completed. Mills began construction in July of the 265,000 sf retail portion and a new underground CTA station.

"We're stepping in on the office portion. It's our deal, it's no longer their deal," Newman says." I know for a long time there's been stops and starts at this location, and we've all read about Mills' internal issues. But they're moving, they're spending money, they're under the gun to complete their part of the building as well.” A Mills spokeswoman did not return a call for comment on this topic.

Lee Golub, executive vice president of Golub & Company, handled the transaction for the Golub-BlackRock venture. The office building will rise at 22 West Washington. Golub will work on architecture designs for the residential units, and plans to begin construction, on the roof of the then-completed Mills retail building in 18 months, Newman says.

Newman says he's very bullish about building on State Street, which has also been going through a transformation. Retail buildings have been torn down nearby to make room for condominiums, though some say that condo demand is slowing in downtown Chicago. However, Newman said Golub's buildings won't be trying to compete with the Trump and other high-rise condos going up on Michigan Avenue. "We're not going to have the tallest buildings, we're here for the location," he says. "That area of State is really becoming more of a mixed-use area, with retail having always been there, but hotels and condos moving in, and a great location for the Theater District. Coupled with the theater and local entertainment, it will be a desirable place to work and live."

The Chicago office of Holiday Fenoglio Fowler represented Mills in the land sale to the Golub-BlackRock venture. The architect for the office building is Perkins & Will. The general contractor is W.E. O’Neil Construction Co. The architect for the residential towers is Solomon Cordwell Buenz.

Mills has made strides to recovery in recent months. A month ago it completed the sale of its interests in its three foreign assets, Vaughan Mills in Ontario, Canada; St. Enoch Centre in Glasgow, Scotland; and Madrid Xanadu in Spain to Ivanhoe Cambridge Inc. for about $988 million, generating proceeds of about $500 million before transaction costs.

Last week it received an offer by Israeli real estate firm Gazit-Globe Ltd. to invest up to $1.2 billion in the firm, which it is considering. In an SEC filing, Gazit-Globe reported it had acquired 9% of Mills' shares. It does not want Mills to sell all or parts of its remaining assets at what most likely would be distressed prices. Rather it would prefer the company to recapitalize.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 12:53 AM

thats great news...I just really wished they would build some decent sized tower..like somthing in the 600ft to 700ft range would really just make my day

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 12:57 AM
tilted & shifted

^Fantastic news. Let's hope it pans out.

I found a website with a few older photos of Block 37

Here's the URL if anyone's interested: http://hometown.aol.com/citypan/indexblock371.html

Also, the entry for Block 37 in the Encylopedia of Chicago: http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohisto...pages/146.html

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 4:25 AM

^ The pictures from that link are awesome. I just learned from a friend of mine that he knocked Block 37 down...actually drove one of the bulldozers.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 4:33 AM

[QUOTE=i_am_hydrogen]^Fantastic news. Let's hope it pans out.

I found a website with a few older photos of Block 37

What is that building in the backround (the taller one)?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 5:16 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip
Venture Signs For Block 37 Office, Residential Rights
By Robert Carr Email this story | Printer-friendly | Reprints

108 N. State(To read more on the multifamily market, click here.)
(For more retail coverage, click GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)

CHICAGO-A joint venture between Chicago-based Golub & Co. and the New York-based BlackRock investment firm has closed on the purchase of land and air rights at 108 N. State St., under development by the troubled Mills Corp., to build a 17-story office building, a 416-unit apartment building and a 381-unit condominium tower. Michael Newman, Golub's president and chief executive officer, would not divulge the purchase price, but said the complex the company plans to build will cost more than $450 million. Golub will build the residential units on top of the Mills Corp.'s planned retail building on the site, also known as Block 37.

Since its financial troubles became public last year, Mills has encountered the same doubt that's been attached to the site for years. Developers have tried and failed numerous times to build on the block bounded by State, Randolph, Dearborn and Washington, the vacant site of a former mixed-use development torn down decades ago.
However, Newman told GlobeSt.com that his company is ready to go on the 440,000-sf office building, which is already 80 percent pre-leased to CBS 2 for a broadcast center, and the offices of Morningstar Inc. Newman says he has full confidence that Mills will get its retail portion completed. Mills began construction in July of the 265,000 sf retail portion and a new underground CTA station.

"We're stepping in on the office portion. It's our deal, it's no longer their deal," Newman says." I know for a long time there's been stops and starts at this location, and we've all read about Mills' internal issues. But they're moving, they're spending money, they're under the gun to complete their part of the building as well.” A Mills spokeswoman did not return a call for comment on this topic.

Lee Golub, executive vice president of Golub & Company, handled the transaction for the Golub-BlackRock venture. The office building will rise at 22 West Washington. Golub will work on architecture designs for the residential units, and plans to begin construction, on the roof of the then-completed Mills retail building in 18 months, Newman says.

Newman says he's very bullish about building on State Street, which has also been going through a transformation. Retail buildings have been torn down nearby to make room for condominiums, though some say that condo demand is slowing in downtown Chicago. However, Newman said Golub's buildings won't be trying to compete with the Trump and other high-rise condos going up on Michigan Avenue. "We're not going to have the tallest buildings, we're here for the location," he says. "That area of State is really becoming more of a mixed-use area, with retail having always been there, but hotels and condos moving in, and a great location for the Theater District. Coupled with the theater and local entertainment, it will be a desirable place to work and live."

The Chicago office of Holiday Fenoglio Fowler represented Mills in the land sale to the Golub-BlackRock venture. The architect for the office building is Perkins & Will. The general contractor is W.E. O’Neil Construction Co. The architect for the residential towers is Solomon Cordwell Buenz.

Mills has made strides to recovery in recent months. A month ago it completed the sale of its interests in its three foreign assets, Vaughan Mills in Ontario, Canada; St. Enoch Centre in Glasgow, Scotland; and Madrid Xanadu in Spain to Ivanhoe Cambridge Inc. for about $988 million, generating proceeds of about $500 million before transaction costs.

Last week it received an offer by Israeli real estate firm Gazit-Globe Ltd. to invest up to $1.2 billion in the firm, which it is considering. In an SEC filing, Gazit-Globe reported it had acquired 9% of Mills' shares. It does not want Mills to sell all or parts of its remaining assets at what most likely would be distressed prices. Rather it would prefer the company to recapitalize.
Well now that just made my day!! Precisely the news I've been waiting to hear. I feel even more confident now of my projection for a total project build-out of $800 million - $1 billion when you add the retail and transit component price tags to Golub's portion. Mills better get their share done (of course, in the next 18 months, anything could happen to that company...)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 2:50 PM
you know where I'll be

From my understanding - I think it was mentioned in the Tribune article early in the year on how technology has greatly quickened the pace of design and engineering on various development projects - the office building is designed to be able to add height either during construction or at a later time post-completion. What's been a little frustrating is that Mills was satisfied with the 17 story height, largely I think because they wanted to take the absolute minimum of further leasing risk. This is frustrating because the building is 80% pre-leased in a market where typical new office projects are launched with 40-60% pre-leasing. Now here's where it could get interesting. With the Golub acquisition of the office and residential portions now officially complete (and with Golub asserting in previous media reports that they did not get a "deal" - reportedly they paid a pretty top-dollar price, meaning they are probably not ecstatic with their projected return - at least on the office portion of the development - one way that they could increase their projected return would be to add additional floors. I wouldn't of course expect a doubling of height, but 5 or 10 stories might be quite feasible, which would increase the percentage of space they have remaining to lease after completion to a level more typical for downtown Chicago. Here's why I don't think the risk would outweigh the potential reward: the building is across the Street from Daley Center and Plaza, which would make the space very attractive to small and mid-size law firms, and the space would have attractive, protected views, with the Plaza to the west, and over the low-rise retail section toward and beyond Macy's (ok, to all the people who get pissed off by that - the Marshall Field building) to the east. So, I think Golub should add 5-10 floors at a very reasonable risk to enhance their projected return and increase the urban impact of the office building...

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Nov 5, 2006 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
Chicago

November 2, 2006

^ MoMo going up in the background

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 2:19 PM
you know where I'll be

I was looking back over Mills' press release on July 31, when they announced commencement of construction for the CTA and retail portions. I think it's very encouraging that Mills has already purchased the steel, curtain wall system, elevators and escalators specifically for the retail component. That certainly eases concerns somewhat about their ability to deliver what they promise on time, so Golub can commence the residential towers immediately afterward. On another note, from the press release it does appear that they are a little behind schedule on the office building, as it mentioned an expected October start for steel erection...

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Nov 4, 2006 at 1:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive