HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:13 PM

Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin

KUT 90.5 | By Nathan Bernier
Published February 21, 2024 at 5:01 AM CST

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...central-austin

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:40 PM

I-35 work ‘will never conclude’ as region keeps growing, TxDOT director says
Finding land for more roads and lanes is top priority across Central Texas, local officials say at regional transportation summit.

By Liz Teitz,
Staff writer
Feb 20, 2024

https://www.expressnews.com/hill-cou...s-18677732.php

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Your ultimate guide to the I-35 expansion through Central Austin

KUT 90.5 | By Nathan Bernier
Published February 21, 2024 at 5:01 AM CST

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...central-austin
If I'm reading this article and the linked full plans correctly....:

If I am at the north edge of Town Lake and want to get onto I-35 going north, my first option to do so will be at 8th Street. After that, the next option will be MLK. Conversely and heading south to get into downtown, my options are MLK, 8th Street, and then Lambie St. The Lambie St. exit I imagine will really only serve the Rainey and Holly areas.

All of this to say, it seems like about 90% of people downtown and 60% of East Austin using I-35 will all be funneled into just the on/off-ramps at 8th Street, no? Whereas they are currently served by exits at Holly, Cesar Chavez, 6th, 11th/12th, and 15th street.

For all that the current design of these ramps is horrible, I cannot imagine that this 8th St area won't be overloaded 24/7....

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:26 PM

The southbound Lambie Street exit also serves Cesar Chavez. The ramp loops back around and joins the nortbound frontage road.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:58 PM

We have way too many exits right now. That’s half the reason for the traffic. There needs to be less exits.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:01 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Maybe recognize that WE DON’T DESIGN HIGHWAYS FOR SHORT TRIPS. Stay on the access road if that’s the distance you’re driving. This type of behavior would largely disappear if TXDoT would get on board with entrance ramp traffic signalization: if you have to wait for a light to get on the freeway, you’re just as likely to wait the one light on the access road that it takes to get to your destination instead.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
If I'm reading this article and the linked full plans correctly....:

If I am at the north edge of Town Lake and want to get onto I-35 going north, my first option to do so will be at 8th Street. After that, the next option will be MLK. Conversely and heading south to get into downtown, my options are MLK, 8th Street, and then Lambie St. The Lambie St. exit I imagine will really only serve the Rainey and Holly areas.

All of this to say, it seems like about 90% of people downtown and 60% of East Austin using I-35 will all be funneled into just the on/off-ramps at 8th Street, no? Whereas they are currently served by exits at Holly, Cesar Chavez, 6th, 11th/12th, and 15th street.

For all that the current design of these ramps is horrible, I cannot imagine that this 8th St area won't be overloaded 24/7....
There is a NB highway entrance right at the lake so if you're crossing the lake you can get on the highway before holly.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 9:22 PM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:08 PM

‘We will do better’: CapMetro addresses rail issues during Austin FC season opener

by: Kelsey Thompson
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 / 04:28 PM CST
Updated: Feb 25, 2024 / 04:28 PM CST

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...season-opener/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — One day after Austin FC’s season opener and the unveiling of CapMetro’s new McKalla Station rail stop, transit authority leaders are offering another fare-free day for Red Line services following issues during Saturday’s operations.

“I want to apologize to our rail customers whose experience was impacted by last night’s service,” said Dottie Watkins, CapMetro president and CEO, in a social media thread. “We are committed to getting this right and we will do better.”

Officials celebrated the ribbon cutting ceremony for McKalla Rail Station Saturday morning ahead of the season opener match. Watkins said CapMetro moved more than 4,000 customers on the Red Line Saturday night.

Austin FC’s next home match on March 9 correlates with the first weekend of the South by Southwest Conference & Festivals. Watkins said CapMetro crews are working to learn from mistakes made Saturday night in advance of that next home math.

“The $60 million investment we celebrated yesterday morning is not something that will let our community down,” she wrote. “It will enhance how we move people, improve placemaking, and support our region’s vitality for years to come, in addition to Austin FC related service.”

CapMetro will now offer fare-free services for all Red Line customers on March 9.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm curious as to what problems occurred as the article doesn't even mention what the problems were. If the CEO publicly apologizes, I'd like to know exactly what happened for him to apologize for...Just sayin..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 7:39 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm curious as to what problems occurred as the article doesn't even mention what the problems were. If the CEO publicly apologizes, I'd like to know exactly what happened for him to apologize for...Just sayin..
Yeah, I skimmed the article earlier today and had to run to a meeting before giving it much thought. I agree, it's a bit unclear.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Per her blog post, the primary issues seem to have been multiple poorly-timed mechanical failures (one train, a switch, crossing malfunction) leading up to the game. That ended up messing with the published schedule. These along with some lapses in communication sound like the biggest problems.

https://waypointblog.com/lets-try-this-again/

Some fans complained on social media they were waiting at Kramer Station and the trains didn't stop there (not sure when). Why anyone would wait there instead of walking <10 minutes I don't know, but there should have been some staff telling people to walk from there if the train wasn't going to stop. My guess is that they were likely at capacity anyway but CapMetro would have known that several minutes earlier either at Lakeline or Howard.

Some fans reported being turned away at Downtown Station as well, likely due to capacity limits.

My own experience was fantastic. I got on at Crestview at 6pm. The station was full of waiting fans. The train pulled up and got crowded but everyone at the station was able to get on board. We stepped onto the platform at McKalla 5 minutes later. I was on the first southbound train after the match was over. Aside from a momentary pause just north of Crestview Station (waiting for a northbound train?), it was totally frictionless.

CapMetro deserves a lot of blame but people also need to do at least some minor research on their own as well. The trains only hold 200 people each, so waiting until the last train or two right before kickoff is going to be a dangerous game. Use the apps to get better schedule info when possible.
Other people just need to learn about how to be a courteous rider during peak times (squeeze in all the way, don't try to bring your bike). Also be strategic about where you sit, knowing how soon your stop is coming.

I expect fans to adjust their routines and try to arrive more spaced out at times leading up to the matches. Many will probably abandon the train and go back to driving, which is a shame. CapMetro doesn't get many real chances to impress people and they effed up last weekend. Honestly they should have emphasized arriving early in communications.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:26 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
CapMetro deserves a lot of blame but people also need to do at least some minor research on their own as well.
I often find that in the US (and especially Texas) this right here is often the issue.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:53 AM
Austinite

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 4:12 AM
Austinite

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:23 PM
Old West Austin

Given the scope and duration of the I-35 and Project Connect projects, perhaps create separate forum threads for them?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:58 PM

Austin receives $105M in federal dollars for Cap and Stitch program

Posted: Mar 11, 2024 / 10:58 AM CDT
Updated: Mar 11, 2024 / 10:58 AM CDT

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...titch-program/

....The $105.2 million federal funding will help cover the costs of the cap and community amenities from Cesar Chavez Street to Fourth Street.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:35 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:

....The $105.2 million federal funding will help cover the costs of the cap and community amenities from Cesar Chavez Street to Fourth Street.
Great news! Looking forward to Capital Express Central finally getting started this Summer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:

This is great news!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:

Austin's award was one of the larger ones from the $3.3B pool. We were 10th largest out of the announced awards. Intrestingly, the largest project, in Portland, got $450M and includes caps that can support buildings of 3-6 stories. This is compared to our reported maybe 2 stories tops. Their project includes a lot of other things, so I don't know how to compare them really but it's interesting that their planned cap can hold so much development.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...awardees-excel

https://www.i5rosequarter.org/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin