HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:55 PM

I agree. The other wires on the orange part are probably for a light up ASU sign.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:56 PM

Although wouldn't it be cool to have the hews scroll across the window screens on the west side of windows?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:01 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing, but you have to remember that the west facing part of the building will have retail/restaurants so they will probably have signage themselves. Besides, it does make sense to have it right above the entrance to the Cronkite School.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:23 AM

True, and it is semi shielded from rain......just would be cool with a bigger scroll.

Have you stopped by the park...it is getting really cool each day, more gets done....I have so many questions...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:27 AM

Nope, haven't stopped by downtown since last Friday and may not for another week or so, it's too damn hot to be outside walking around. I'm actually wanting to go back and get some more skyline pictures...a restaurant owner I know at Westgate wants to buy some of my photos, blow them up, and put them on the walls of his restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
The wind art is in the park across the street. BUT I do recall some sort of light art on the Cronkite building...
Yeah thats right...it is supposed to be some sort of light art on the building. Thanks. And yep...I already knew about the floating jellyfish uterus wind art thingy at the park. LOL J/K (Actually, its going to look cool IMHO)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:30 AM

Anyone know of the light art that is to go on the Cronkite Building?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Nope, haven't stopped by downtown since last Friday and may not for another week or so, it's too damn hot to be outside walking around. I'm actually wanting to go back and get some more skyline pictures...a restaurant owner I know at Westgate wants to buy some of my photos, blow them up, and put them on the walls of his restaurant.
You're so cocky now!
(kidding)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 1:16 PM

Has anyone seen any progress on the new downtown nursing school? I assume excavation must be well under way by now?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 3:20 PM

Slow but they are working on the Nursing Building. Nothing major though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 8:41 PM

Journalism School Gets Downtown Home
ASU's Cronkite School To Move Into $71 Million, State-of-the-Art Facility
by Jahna Berry - Jun. 25, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Next month, Arizona State University's journalism school will move into a sleek, six-story bronze cube on Central Avenue.

The $71 million building will raise the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication's national profile and put a big-city stamp on ASU's downtown Phoenix campus, university officials said.

The move will add about 1,400 students to the Phoenix campus. About 3,400 students were talking classes downtown last fall, according to university figures.

The Cronkite School joins other journalism schools in investing in upgrades to help students marry shoe-leather reporting and digital technology, said Sara Quinn, a faculty member at the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Poynter Institute for Media Studies.

Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., for example, last year dedicated a new, $21 million journalism facility, Quinn said.

Northwestern and Michigan State universities have hired more staff with an eye for technology, she said.

"A lot of people are beefing up their programs," said Quinn, the co-director of a fellowship program for recent college graduates.

The basics - such as journalistic ethics and interviewing skills - are still important; but after graduation, "recruiters are looking to hire people with multimedia skills," Quinn said.

There is no ranking system for journalism programs - because vetting such schools is "totally subjective," Quinn said - so it's hard to say where the Cronkite School stands nationally.

But ASU officials say the upgrades will help move the journalism school to the head of the pack.

"The Cronkite building's design, space and technology will make it unparalleled in journalism education," said Christopher Callahan, the Cronkite School's dean, adding its journalism program is "one of the best two or three" in the United States.

The school offers bachelor's degrees in digital media, public relations, broadcast or print and master's degrees in mass communication.

Nearly 290 students graduated from the Cronkite School in the 2007-2008 academic year.

The new building is light-years ahead of the 1970s-era Stauffer Hall in Tempe, the school's home until this summer.

It will have 280 digital workstations for everything from Web production to digital video editing, two TV studios and an electronic news ticker outside, Callahan said.

The school's Tempe building only has a few computer labs, a tiny newsroom, a TV studio and basic classrooms, the dean and students said.

"Our old journalism building is kind of a dump," said Celeste Sepessy, 21, who will be a senior in the fall and who has interned at The Arizona Republic. "It will be nice to be in a building with new computers and upgraded equipment."

Journalism classes currently are taught all over the Tempe campus because Stauffer Hall doesn't have enough computers for students, said Sepessy, who hopes to work for a magazine when she graduates.

The only downside, Sepessy said, is that she will be on the road a lot: She still lives in Tempe, and her internship is in north Scottsdale.

Other students, including those with double majors, may be in the same boat this fall, she said.

The journalism school will share the Central Avenue building with Channel 8 and KBAQ, a classical-music radio station, said Deputy City Manager David Cavazos.

The building was funded by a $220 million, voter-approved bond. Phoenix owns it until it will transfer to ASU in 25 years, Cavazos said.

ASU wanted a distinctive look for the journalism school, because it's the first custom-built academic building on the downtown campus, said ASU planner Richard Stanley.

The other university buildings downtown were remodeled office buildings, he added.

"We wanted to put in place the notion that this was for an urban campus," said Stanley. "It's not just another office building."

The accordionlike folds and the shifting shades of brown on the outside of the building are a nod to a radio frequency's band, said Kent Bosworth, a project director for builder Sundt Construction Inc.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 8:42 PM

The nursing building has started to rise...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:05 PM

HX_Guy, how tall is the nursing building going to rise?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:27 PM

Off the top of my head, I think it was 78'.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:30 PM

Yea, I think i hear 7 stories.

Wow they got the first beams up fast!!!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
BANNED

wow that came out of nowhere. I drove by monday night and it didn't look like anything was happening, all of a sudden there are two stories?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 4:46 PM

There's a pretty cool pic of the art piece going up in the civic park in today's Az Republic (sorry if this was posted in a different thread).

This thing is huge -- and the photo doesn't quite do the size justice -- it's massive in person.

It's so big that people will either love this or hate it. I can't imagine there being a middle ground. I'm hopeful but when I saw how big it is, my reaction was, "gulp."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 5:51 PM

So was that a love gulp or a hate gulp??

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 6:15 PM

It was a gulp like "Oh my god, this better be awesome." It's so big that if it's ugly, it's going to be a huge eyesore. I don't think it will be but wow, it's big.

By the way, the photo is here: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...pture0630.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 6:38 PM

The artist has her own website and a few images of what the "Sky Bloom" will look like as well as other pieces she has done. However I'm not sure if "Sky Bloom" will be illuminated the way the similar sculpture is shown on the front page of her site.
http://www.echelman.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest