HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
Im not saying that she is wrong. I believe her. Im just tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so an so of the South" Its lame. And if I thought she was wrong I'm not about to do 3 hours of internet research and post a damn article just to prove someone on a forum wrong.......I have better things to do.

Hey, I didn't make it up. This is a quote from NASCAR's own website:

"Lakewood Speedway, Atlanta. Originally built in 1915 as part of the Southeastern Fair, the one-mile dirt track hosted its first auto race in 1917 when a match race between Ralph DePalma and Barney Oldfield drew a crowd estimated at 15,000. Known as the Indianapolis of the South, Lakewood primarly hosted open-wheel Indy cars throughout the '20s and '30s, with crowds of up to 30,000."

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 12:24 AM

I didn't know that about Atlanta (that it was that important to NASCAR).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I didn't know that about Atlanta (that it was that important to NASCAR).
With our sleek skyscapers on Peachtree and our gigantic suburbs, it's easy to forget that not too long ago Atlanta was a hardworking Southern industrial town. It was built as much on textile mills, brickyards, factories, railroads and trucking as it was on commerce and mercantilism. People came here from the country in droves when the farms went broke in the 1920's and the Depression hit in the 30's. It would be a mistake to think that Atlanta was too polished or somehow "above" car racing. It was in our blood from the beginning.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
maybe you shouldn't be reading the "Atlanta Project Thread" if you don't like hearing stuff about Atlanta...
Wow. I love how everyone is taking what I said out of context and making it seem like Im attacking Atlanta. Im rooting for Atlanta too.

Did I say I dont like to hear stuff about Atlanta, no. I enjoy hearing new projects about Atlanta. Thats probably why Im on this forum. What I said was the Atlanta is the whatever of the south phrases are getting lame. I mean, there is a thread on here about Atlanta being the King of the south. Just stop.

And Andrea I believe what you are saying is a fact. I was not doubting you or trying to be rude or anything like that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:10 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

I wouldn't come out with the negative post next time if you don't want those kinds of responses to it. Using bold font, ending sentences with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, responding with words like "lame" "crap" and "give me a break" - these are interpreted to be negative and will usually result in at least one similar response. Maybe just try to type in a calm, less aggressive tone.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:17 PM
Urban Explorer

I'm officially done with this forum.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:34 PM

Well, if you want a friendly Atlanta site, where no one bashes Atlanta, and Atlanta is the centerpiece of the place, call my way.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I wouldn't come out with the negative post next time if you don't want those kinds of responses to it. Using bold font, ending sentences with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, responding with words like "lame" "crap" and "give me a break" - these are interpreted to be negative and will usually result in at least one similar response. Maybe just try to type in a calm, less aggressive tone.

But thats what Im talking about. I never said anything negative about Atlanta. Yall act like I dissed Atlanta. The responces to my post were irrelevant.

And I wasn't regretting what I said. I was regretting that Andrea and others though I was calling her a liar when I wasn't at all.

And I thinks its better for me to type in bold and use words like crap and lame instead of cursing non-stop like I usually do. Either way, this is an internet forum. Not a board meeting.

but all is well Im still a cool bitch

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 5:22 PM

Quote:
But thats what Im talking about. I never said anything negative about Atlanta. Yall act like I dissed Atlanta. The responces to my post were irrelevant.

And I wasn't regretting what I said. I was regretting that Andrea and others though I was calling her a liar when I wasn't at all.

And I thinks its better for me to type in bold and use words like crap and lame instead of cursing non-stop like I usually do. Either way, this is an internet forum. Not a board meeting.
SAV, I didn't think you were calling me a liar and I wasn't offended in the least! I think you made a very valid point -- we Atlantans are probably just a little too thin-skinned as a result of our working class roots and always being regarded as second-class wannabes. We should learn to get over ourselves and just be what we are, for better or worse.

And yes, you are cool, but I wouldn't put the B word on the end.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 3:49 AM
Urban Explorer

A pretty good article about the new French American Brasserie at Allen Plaza:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/26/focus5.html?b=1174881600^1435858

They've finished the main entrance to the restaurant and it looks amazing. Definitely setting a new standard for in-town restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 3:10 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:

I never accused you of bad-mouthing Atlanta...that wasn't the point. I was referring to the way you presented your earlier post, but apparently you aren't accepting of criticism. I could care less about your opinion of Atlanta because I wasn't promoting or defending it. In reading your posts I just thought you could use some communication advice.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
A pretty good article about the new French American Brasserie at Allen Plaza:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/26/focus5.html?b=1174881600^1435858

They've finished the main entrance to the restaurant and it looks amazing. Definitely setting a new standard for in-town restaurants.
It looks very nice gttx. I cant wait to try FAB out. It will truely add a new dimension to downtown Dining.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 8:08 PM

The good, the bad and the ugly of Atlanta parking garages:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...metsaport.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:30 AM

This Roswell project is getting huge... Roswell will need to do something, Alpharetta will do it if not and Roswell will lose out entirely.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:41 AM

Please, no more people around me! I am a stones throw from Roswell...

It is a nice design, but I already have to deal with enough traffic.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 4:52 AM

A project like this will lead the way to urbanizing the metro areas so that sitting in your car for 4 hours a day isn't your second occupation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkster65 View Post
Please, no more people around me! I am a stones throw from Roswell...

It is a nice design, but I already have to deal with enough traffic.
You should read a book titled "Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream" by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 5:22 AM

^hawgwash!

he got there first!

(one of those suburban "haters")

actually, i definitely have to second what mayhem stated; won't that possible future marta extension run right through this?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:34 AM

I could see plans like this Roswell development being the wave of the future in Atlanta. Instead of trying to create one big central city and complex transportation systems, maybe we will grow by just creating lots of smaller urban areas. That is, instead of trying to drag people to the city, bring the amenities of the city to the people.

That might work here since we are such a low density area and because 90+% of the population seems pretty well wedded to the burbs. Not only are the vast majority of the people located there, so are most of the jobs.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I could see plans like this Roswell development being the wave of the future in Atlanta. Instead of trying to create one big central city and complex transportation systems, maybe we will grow by just creating lots of smaller urban areas. That is, instead of trying to drag people to the city, bring the amenities of the city to the people.

That might work here since we are such a low density area and because 90+% of the population seems pretty well wedded to the burbs. Not only are the vast majority of the people located there, so are most of the jobs.
I'm not wedded to the burbs, I'm wedded to our .75 acre lot and cheap taxes...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta