HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
This building sticks out of the skyline the way a gawky kid sticks out of his school picture after an abnormal growth spurt.

At a small scale, the simple rectilinear geometry would be elegant. At 1,396 feet, its mindnumbingly dull. The open structural floors give it an unfinished look.
People will love it or hate it. It's basically a 1,400 ft skyscraper, so even in NY (at least at this point) it will stand out. That's what sets these towers apart from others. The Empire State,
at half it's height wouldn't have been nearly as impressive. But it stood - and still stands way above its surrounding area. It stood out GREATLY.

This tower is so New York, the New York that builds tall, regardless. The design won't be appreciated by everyone, by those that do get it, get it. It's also in a city where supertall and superslim
residential towers are going up, something you won't see everywhere. History will show that this is how they did it in New York at this time.

I find the open floors to be a signature element to this design. I only wish there were more of an exclamation point at the top. Even the original WTC got it's antenna.

Greg L. Jones

mplstodd

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 8:13 PM

432 Park Avenue Lights Up the Manhattan Night Sky
Quote:
There are more bright lights on the New York City skyline after the recent lighting ceremony at 432 Park Avenue. In a new tradition that will light up the Manhattan sky each night, the tallest residential skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere will be visible from all of the Five Boroughs.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 1:01 PM

This tower just dominates from every direction looking toward the city. The new lighting looks great.

It definitely needs some friends though. Once Central Park Tower, One Vanderbilt and the others get built, things should look more balanced.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 1:03 PM

Is that marble flooring outside? I can't help but feel that's just asking for multiple lawsuits this winter...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 1:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 8:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I just got back from NY and my wife and I finally ventured over to this thing. I've only seen it from afar before. It's certainly impressive from street level and with very simple and clean lines. Still think it's about 300-400' too tall but it's not really bad architecture.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 12:23 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I think it's biggest sin is not including something at the top - even something as simple as a different look from the rest of the tower. I would have settled for the circular mechanical floors extending above the roofline. It just ends. It may not matter as much when other towers as tall or taller are completed, but for now it's missing that extra punch. But I guess it was intended to be as it is. The lighting adds more to the skyine than I thought it would.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Agreed. Almost everything 1000' and above in NY has something on the top so this looks unfinished. I liked the lighting and which lent a fleeting resemblance to the old World Trade Centers.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:24 AM
New Yorker for life

I think the lighting has a cool effect...

Julius Ahn

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 1:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:48 PM

I think it looks great, as is.

Sometimes less is more.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:46 PM
don't *meddle*...

It's time to change the thread title --> 1,397 FT / 426 M.

@new_york_is_heaven
https://www.instagram.com/new_york_is_heaven/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 3:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

View from Wood Ridge NJ.

Manhattan Skyline via Wood-Ridge, NJ by Mike, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 2:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:14 AM
New Yorker for life

By day, some say it's too bland. By night though, there can be no argument. This skyscraper clearly adds to the skyline, it's distinctive lighting seen for miles...

Simone Gramegna

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 13, 2017 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture