HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:26 AM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Dreamers. It'll never happen.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 9:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Dreamers. It'll never happen.
More like Wet Dreamers. We will just end up with five-six story office buildings in a office park with a four-five story hotel here and there.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 5:32 PM

Town of Alta Commercial Core Plan
http://www.ldi-ut.com/alta.html

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:28 PM

Cotton Wood Paper Mill

The paper mill was built in 1883 by the Deseret News and is located in Cottonwood Heights at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I have always thought it would be really cool to fix up the old place and make it into high end shops and build a village with a high street around it.

Google Maps Location Link https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6266...7i13312!8i6656

It is in a really cool location at the mouth of the canyon.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 8:17 PM

Rough plan for downtown American Fork

Green-BRT from AF Frontrunner to Orem Frontrunner via state and University Prkwy. This line's scheddule should be synchronized with the AF FR station.

Red-Af city hall and the post office both move to the historic school with the post office occupying most of the ground floor. AF City hall entrance will be to the east and PO to the west. The small building on the west of the complex is demolished to make way for a drive thru mail drop and 30 min parking.

Purple- Multi family Residential 35

Blue- Fire and Ambulence are moved to a new location and this lot is zoned as CCD and sold. One poteential new location for FD is the parking lot south of the Rec center.

Yellow- Continue 30N through both blocks. Rezone as RMU with the area west of Grant allowing up to 100 feet and 60 feet for the east. Limit building footprint to 200'x200'

White- Historic Commercial. Design review required with a preference for 1 to 3 story masonry.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:48 AM

This map shows the sprawl trends for office development in the metro area.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-counties.html

Last edited by Orlando; Dec 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 11:35 AM

I don't consider anything in the Draper/Lehi area as sprawl trend. For me, the correct perspective at this point would be "Infill Trend". How many Draper and Lehi hamlets around the globe expanded and filled in in relatively the same manner for their greater metros? Cities such as any of the major European Capitals or New York? Areas like Cedar Valley...sure, that's sprawl at this point. Lehi or Draper are simply following the same time tested pattern of every other major city on the globe, including those whose density we admire most like New York.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:34 PM

Commercial Development Booming Along Salt Lake City Metros

Deseret News - Jason Lee - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-counties.html

SALT LAKE CITY — As the state's economy continues to thrive, the volume of office buildings and commercial projects under construction of late along the southern Wasatch Front is at a near record pace — the bulk of which is situated in the heart of Utah's tech hub.

In Utah County, the amount of office space being leased has more than doubled since last year, and nearly twice the amount of 2014, according to data from commercial real estate firm Coldwell Banker Commercial Advisors...

The current commercial market in Salt Lake County is fairly positive, Mellott said, with cautious optimism continuing in the first few months of 2017.

In 2015, the local market had about 734,000 square feet of new construction completed over 12 months, he explained, while the first three quarters of 2016 have already yielded 1.2 million square feet of completed construction — up 63.5 percent so far with final numbers expected to be even higher.

“By all accounts, we’re expecting things to remain fairly healthy over the near term (as it relates to) supply-demand balance,” Mellott said. “The market is now responding to the demand that has been out there.”...

Construction continues on the new Hale Centre Theatre as work begins on the new Mountain America Credit Union Corporate offices in Sandy.
Commercial construction in Sandy and Lehi on Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I don't consider anything in the Draper/Lehi area as sprawl trend. For me, the correct perspective at this point would be "Infill Trend". How many Draper and Lehi hamlets around the globe expanded and filled in in relatively the same manner for their greater metros? Cities such as any of the major European Capitals or New York? Areas like Cedar Valley...sure, that's sprawl at this point. Lehi or Draper are simply following the same time tested pattern of every other major city on the globe, including those whose density we admire most like New York.
Delts,
The reason why I consider this to be sprawl is that way more development is occuring outside of the existing metro downtowns (SLC, Provo, or Ogden). The Lehi/Draper developments are all built on expanding or never developed land. It further encourages people to build in Single-family subdivisions further and further out from the metro cores, out into Herriman, Cedar Valley, and out into undeveloped desert land west of Utah Lake. It is not connected to transit. People drive to work from their cozy new homes. This is backwards thinking, IMO. We've got to change this mindset, and develop smarter. If we can develop some alternative and innovative urban alternative high-tech/mixed-use areas in existing or underdeveloped brownfields near downtown that would be ideal. Have you looked up San Francisco's Innovation District or Boston's Innovation District?

Last edited by Orlando; Dec 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 7:30 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Delts,
The reason why this I consider this to be sprawl is that way more development is occuring outside of the existing metro downtowns (SLC, Provo, or Ogden). The Lehi/Draper developments are all built on expanding or never developed land. It further encourages people to build in Single-family subdivisions further and further out from the metro cores, out int Herriman, Cedar Valley, and out into undeveloped desert land west of Utah Lake. It is not connected to transit. People drive to work from their cozy new homes. This is backwards thinking, IMO. We've got to change this mindset, and develop smarter. If we can develop some alternative and innovative urban alternative high-tech/mixed-use areas in existing or underdeveloped brownfields near downtown that would be ideal. Have you looked up San Francisco's Innovation District or Boston's Innovation District?
I haven't looked those up but I think I will. I do think that SLC could really attract some high tech companies, the "Silicon Slopes" types of companies. The "Slopes" don't need to be strictly Lehi and Draper, they can just as easily be Salt Lake City proper. I do wonder however if the GOED is as willing to give out the same amount of tax incentives to a company moving into SLC as they do for Lehi/Draper.

One note on this though Twitter moved to Market St in San Fran, basically making that neighborhood an "Innovation District" and Boston already had a few companies clustering, and then designated it an "Innovation District." Don't get me wrong though, I do like the overall concept. Do I think SLC can overtake Lehi? Probably not, but it can make some in roads. The launch of Google Fiber in SLC will hopefully help to get a few medium size companies to choose SLC over Lehi, and hopefully that can attract some additional ones.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Dec 27, 2016 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wow, this is a new one. Calling greenfield developments "infill."

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 8:34 PM

My comment moved to SLC thread.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 9:59 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Rough plan for downtown American Fork

Green-BRT from AF Frontrunner to Orem Frontrunner via state and University Prkwy. This line's scheddule should be synchronized with the AF FR station.

Red-Af city hall and the post office both move to the historic school with the post office occupying most of the ground floor. AF City hall entrance will be to the east and PO to the west. The small building on the west of the complex is demolished to make way for a drive thru mail drop and 30 min parking.

Purple- Multi family Residential 35

Blue- Fire and Ambulence are moved to a new location and this lot is zoned as CCD and sold. One poteential new location for FD is the parking lot south of the Rec center.

Yellow- Continue 30N through both blocks. Rezone as RMU with the area west of Grant allowing up to 100 feet and 60 feet for the east. Limit building footprint to 200'x200'

White- Historic Commercial. Design review required with a preference for 1 to 3 story masonry.
The BRT won't happen on State Street here. Through this corridor UTA has been buying up right of way along the railroad tracks near Pacific Avenue. It will be a full LRT on that corridor -- which would make BRT on State redundant and not likely to happen.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 5:27 AM

Quote:
This map explains shows the sprawl trends for office development in the metro area.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-counties.html
There's going to be continued sprawled office space until all the land is gone in the primary valleys. One noticeable thing is how they're starting to all cluster themselves around mass transit areas. Large companies are going to be at a big disadvantage if they're not as the area continues to crowd like crazy, with an additional 40k residents every year.

The map doesn't seem complete though, for example two that come to mind... the Hardware Station development has an office building and the DA offices.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
The BRT won't happen on State Street here. Through this corridor UTA has been buying up right of way along the railroad tracks near Pacific Avenue. It will be a full LRT on that corridor -- which would make BRT on State redundant and not likely to happen.
Have they? I kinda thought it was never gunna happen. I figured a combination of UP holding out and various Utah county city council members being obstructionist had killed any hope of that happening. If it happens that would be great but to be honest I'm still skeptical.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 12:37 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Have they? I kinda thought it was never gunna happen. I figured a combination of UP holding out and various Utah county city council members being obstructionist had killed any hope of that happening. If it happens that would be great but to be honest I'm still skeptical.
AFAIK, UTA owns a surprising amount of that rail corridor along Pacific Avenue and State Street.

The issue is money. Utah County LRT is kicked out another 25+ years. I think double-tracking Frontrunner will happen long before the LRT does.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
AFAIK, UTA owns a surprising amount of that rail corridor along Pacific Avenue and State Street.

The issue is money. Utah County LRT is kicked out another 25+ years. I think double-tracking Frontrunner will happen long before the LRT does.
Honestly that seems like a crazy bad reason to not consider a BRT. If you can't afford a LR than you should probably think about an option that is cheaper by a factor of 10. Anyway BRT is still probably going to be a more appropriate solution in 25 years based on ridership and density, especially if we're not developing TODs along the corridor during that time frame. Further state is a better route after PG and would serve to connect more people and places to transit than the rail line would. If in 25-40 years it's necessary upgrade the BRT to rail.

They should seek funding to put BRT down state now and turn the old rail line into a bike trail.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 7:41 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
There's going to be continued sprawled office space until all the land is gone in the primary valleys. One noticeable thing is how they're starting to all cluster themselves around mass transit areas. Large companies are going to be at a big disadvantage if they're not as the area continues to crowd like crazy, with an additional 40k residents every year.

The map doesn't seem complete though, for example two that come to mind... the Hardware Station development has an office building and the DA offices.
The office portion of Hardware Station isn't under construction yet. No permits have been submitted for that parcel yet. Only for the west and east residential buildings.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:44 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West