HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
that overpass project is moving fast. I was last through that area in about august or september and it had just barely started. Will be nice, I got stuck a few times trying to head north there, could take an hour just to get from mayfair to that intersection.
They really should do Tillicum as well. The worst part is you have all these overpasses heading north and a signal light at the end of it in Langford. They did the spenser road but put that light in at the end of it.

They have announced a 20 million dollar up grade to the \Millstream overpass. |It will be more of a true cloverleaf interchange when it's done.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 10:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
The worst part is you have all these overpasses heading north and a signal light at the end of it in Langford. They did the spenser road but put that light in at the end of it.
Yup, as soon as I saw that light installed I just shook my head and THEN to add more traffic from Leigh Rd. all going in to ONE LANE northbound completely blew my mind and taught me that the person in charge of roads in Langford may just be a moron and whatever doubts I had were removed after exchanging a few e-mails with her. How she ever got through school, let alone got the job, is astounding.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Yup, as soon as I saw that light installed I just shook my head and THEN to add more traffic from Leigh Rd. all going in to ONE LANE northbound completely blew my mind and taught me that the person in charge of roads in Langford may just be a moron and whatever doubts I had were removed after exchanging a few e-mails with her. How she ever got through school, let alone got the job, is astounding.
That's good you emailed her. The 23 million dollar upgrade of the Malahat does it include widening the single lane portions of the highway? It should be 4 lanes from start to finish. And that light needs to be an interchange.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It should be 4 lanes from start to finish.
Couldn't agree more, the provincial Liberals should have made the whole thing a 4 lane freeway years ago.

I've noticed the Legato on Yates seems to be progressing at about half the speed of the other projects around town, does anyone know why?

Looking up at Victoria's new tallest office building, floors 8 and 9 give us a glimpse as to what it will look like but i'm sorry to say it's another widescraper:

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 1, 2017 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:59 AM

Do you know much of the island highway upgrade? If they are going to double lane the remaining single lane portions of the highway.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:

Another thing i've noticed is the Legato on Yates seems to progressing at about half the speed of the other projects around town, does anyone know why?
I have a friend who son works on that building. I didn't notice it was progressing slowly. I'll ask him if there is something up.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:

Looking up at Victoria's new tallest office building, floors 8 and 9 give us a glimpse as to what it will look like but i'm sorry to say it's another widescraper:

I agree it's a wide scraper. It needed at least another two stories or so. When you look downtown it peaks at our flat skyline and it's really wide. I'll see if I can take some photos tomorrow.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 4:22 AM

Victoria council voted 4-4 on a 15 percent tax on foreign buyers.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo....lcqPMQmu.dpuf

Mayor Lisa Helps said it’s time to move on. “I was in favour of it, but, honestly, it’s not going to make that big of a deal,” she said. “It’s the province’s responsibility. The province is going to do it or they are not.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:47 AM

Nice pic of Dockside Green (and Upper Harbour Place, etc.) by zoomer over at vibrantvictoria.ca. Unfortunately the tenters on the shore account for the only new development here in a long while.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Escher, although I highly doubt M.C. would approve since this building bears no relation to his drawings:

At about 2/3 done I just found out this building is called "Yello on Yates":

Let's see if you guys can figure out which building this is:

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 11, 2017 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:21 PM

I think it's The Sovereign by Chard

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:23 PM

The Yates on Yates was approved last night. twin 21 story buildings. not the best photo of the project.

This is really exciting.

yates on yates by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 10:04 PM

The 15 story Belleville Street proposal was also approved Thursday night.

belleville 1 by steven roberts, on Flickr

belleville 2 by steven roberts, on Flickr

bellville by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:02 AM
BANNED

^Coun. Ben Isitt voted against both proposals, saying neither adequately addressed the issue of affordability. “My general approach to development in the city is that if projects don’t propose to contribute to the housing affordability crisis in a meaningful way, I don’t have a lot of interest in considering rezonings or the development applications.” - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo....53IBhmW4.dpuf

So I guess if proposed buildings don't directly contribute to the poverty industry Ben won't support them. What a useless, hypocritical twat but i'm sure he'll get re-elected in this backwards town.

Quote:
I think it's The Sovereign by Chard
You're right, it was the Sovereign.

Thanks for the pics Vic, the T-C only showed one pic of Concert's building so I was having a hard time figuring out exactly where it will be. Your pictures really helped.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 15, 2017 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Geometrically the building's not bad but the facade leaves a lot to be desired. It reminds me of the 30 year old municipal building a block down Blanshard.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:24 PM

Woah. That's bad.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
^Coun. Ben Isitt voted against both proposals, saying neither adequately addressed the issue of affordability. “My general approach to development in the city is that if projects don’t propose to contribute to the housing affordability crisis in a meaningful way, I don’t have a lot of interest in considering rezonings or the development applications.” - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo....53IBhmW4.dpuf

So I guess if proposed buildings don't directly contribute to the poverty industry Ben won't support them. What a useless, hypocritical twat but i'm sure he'll get re-elected in this backwards town.

You're right, it was the Sovereign.

Thanks for the pics Vic, the T-C only showed one pic of Concert's building so I was having a hard time figuring out exactly where it will be. Your pictures really helped.
Ben is running for mayor this year. Im afraid he'll win. As much as I hate the coloured sidewalks and stupid bike lanes I still like our Mayor. She votes in favor of every development. Where Ben Pam and Lovejoy vote against every proposal. I can't imagine Ben as mayor.

Your welcome for the pics. It took a bit but google images can find almost anything.

Thanks for the 1550 office pics

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Woah. That's bad.
I have been holding my breath on this one but as it gets more of it's exterior I'm cringing at the whole building like that. Hopefully it'll look better than it does now. These are the same developers who built the B.C. Ferries headquarters.

I had the same feeling with this building half way through but it has grown on me over the years.
22 by steven roberts, on Flickr

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
It reminds me of the 30 year old municipal building a block down Blanshard.
Yeah, there's almost a 1980s retro thing going on with the exteriors of some of these new office blocks. I'm not sure what to make of it but the powers that be in Victoria seem to love it. As you say, the way this building's sections relate to one another is interesting and unexpected, but it's as if they've deliberately counterbalanced the effect by dressing the whole thing in anachronistically boring cladding. A similar thing happened with 800 Yates. Imagine if 800 Yates were wearing glossy aluminum panels or strong orange terracotta or something like that.

Anyway, the end result is 21st-century office buildings with super slick interiors that seem at odds with their rather blah (er, conservative) exteriors.

For this Pandora building I imagine it would have looked terrific if the lower section was wearing glass only and the upper section was wearing the white panels (or vice versa).

Edit: As of right now is there any part of the lower section that doesn't have scaffolding on it? I'm just wondering if the cladding on the lower section differs sufficiently from the upper section so as to not suggest a completely uniform covering over the entire thing.

Last edited by aastra; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I have been holding my breath on this one but as it gets more of it's exterior I'm cringing at the whole building like that. Hopefully it'll look better than it does now. These are the same developers who built the B.C. Ferries headquarters.

I had the same feeling with this building half way through but it has grown on me over the years.
22 by steven roberts, on Flickr
The interior atrium/lobby of this one is a beauty! Definitely the best in a BC building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia