HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
Come As You Are

I agree, these modernist buildings look so powerful.

The first one is probably my favourite render of this building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:51 AM

I wish they would have gone with the glass curtain wall on the outside, still the design is going to be very dramatic because of the height alone. The simplicity here kind of reminds me of the WTC.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:04 AM

I still don't understand how a building that tall and narrow is not going to sway. It looks like a 1,400 foot tall pencil. I love the design and the minimalistic aspect of the building but it just seems so skinny.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:10 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I wish they would have gone with the glass curtain wall on the outside, still the design is going to be very dramatic because of the height alone. The simplicity here kind of reminds me of the WTC.
I think the things that will save this building are its skinniness (which scares me too) and all those very visible windows. Seeing 89 floors of windows will make this tall, skinny building seem even taller. Glass buildings lose that sense of scale because all the floors blend together.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCam View Post
I still don't understand how a building that tall and narrow is not going to sway. It looks like a 1,400 foot tall pencil. I love the design and the minimalistic aspect of the building but it just seems so skinny.
There's going to be mass damper near the top of the building to cut down on swaying, plus the structure is built of concrete which is lot more durable than a steel structure which is designed to sway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown
I think the things that will save this building are its skinniness (which scares me too) and all those very visible windows. Seeing 89 floors of windows will make this tall, skinny building seem even taller. Glass buildings lose that sense of scale because all the floors blend together.
That's true, but not if you break the glass up. Part of the architecture of 432 Park is open space areas in between the regular floors. These spots have no windows, or could have no glass. I love the deisgn in this render, it's simple and dramatic.

You're right that the tower is going to look much taller than it is being so slender, having large windows, and having a pure white facade.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:02 AM

This building makes me happy that I live so close to such an amazing city

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:41 AM
Come As You Are

Yeah, I'm happy international modernism is being appreciated again. If it were one of those tacky late 90s pomo buildings or a whacky Chinese tower shape, I would be kinda annoyed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:45 AM

An illuminated flourish on top like Marina 101 would be nice...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 2:19 PM
New Yorker for life

( February 13, 2013)

Too early to use the L word (looming), but it's already reached a significant point of being higher than its neighbors, the little guys...

www.432park.com

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:38 PM

Why does the new floor look different from the last floor?? The last one looked like typical 4X8 plywood, then came rebar, then cement. This stuff looks different. Thanks

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:17 PM

Update with a bunch of photos from yesterday!

432 Park February 2013 Construction Photos

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:52 PM
New Yorker for life

It won't be long before we get to the first "open" segment, which isn't far above ground level, about the 4th or 5th floor...

Looks a little higher from this drawing...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
Astorian

I'll stop by on Friday to get some photos. I work only 12 blocks north of the construction.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
Mr. Technology

Your very talented photography is very much appreciated, NYCLuver !!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:39 PM

Preparations begin for jumping the 57 St crane. Currently the trolley beam is being installed onto the slewing ring, in preparing for the arrival of the tower sections.

No doubt, the same will happen soon to the 56 St. crane as well as the building rises..

Currently, the 57 St crane is lifting a new tower section from the large opening on the southwest corner. It most likely will be placed on its trolley beam for jumping. The tower section is now suspened in air, as the crane workers prepare to transfer the tower section to the trolley beam.

The tower section is now beneath the trolley beam.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:02 PM

With the first tower section now on the trolley beam, a second tower section hangs supended. The crane must be in a state of equilibrium, hence the suspended tower section, while the workers unbolt the slewing ring from the tower section it currently bears upon. The slewing ring is bolted also to the clinbing frame. The climbing frame will rise, by hydraulic cylinderson each side, and the tower section that is currently on the trolley beam will be slid into the climbing frame.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
I'll stop by on Friday to get some photos. I work only 12 blocks north of the construction.
I can't WAIT to see photos of this tower rising from your office.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:28 PM
FriskyDingo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
With the first tower section now on the trolley beam, a second tower section hangs supended. The crane must be in a state of equilibrium, hence the suspended tower section, while the workers unbolt the slewing ring from the tower section it currently bears upon. The slewing ring is bolted also to the clinbing frame. The climbing frame will rise, by hydraulic cylinderson each side, and the tower section that is currently on the trolley beam will be slid into the climbing frame.
I love watching this take place. I would love to see a video of the self rising concrete forms.

Thanks for the heads up Marcatio.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:36 PM
Astorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I can't WAIT to see photos of this tower rising from your office.
That might be a little difficult because the angle I face is towards the park, so unless I literally stick my camera outside of the window and hold on to the camera for dear life... I won't be able to get pictures... but we'll see.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 PM
New Yorker for life

( February 14, 2013 )

www.432park.com

www.432park.com

Watching to see if it follows this pattern, or something different...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive