HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:01 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If you want to call Winnipeg anything other than Western, then I think that means you define 'Western' as BC only.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:28 AM

I guess I should clarify my question. When I asked whether Winnipeg was more Western or Midwestern I didn't mean as much geographically, but politically, economically, layout of the city and feel of the city.
I was more so asking if we are generally more comparable to Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Denver, Salt Lake City, etc. or to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo, etc.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
An extremely narrow take on things, but OK. Were Sask and and BC not western provinces for all the years when they were net recipient of equalization payments?
Saskatchewan will be again, if it isn't already.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I guess I should clarify my question. When I asked whether Winnipeg was more Western or Midwestern I didn't mean as much geographically, but politically, economically, layout of the city and feel of the city.
I was more so asking if we are generally more comparable to Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Denver, Salt Lake City, etc. or to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo, etc.
In that sense I’d say mid west. But personally don’t think Calgary and Edmonton are really that similar to Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
In that sense I’d say mid west. But personally don’t think Calgary and Edmonton are really that similar to Vancouver.
Even though both are western, there is a pretty clear difference between 'west coast' and the sort of more midwestern parts... Edmonton/Vancouver, Denver/San Francisco... very different places IMO.

But to balletomane's point, I'd still say Winnipeg is western. I think we tend to obsess over small differences, but to most people the biggest obvious difference between Winnipeg and other prairie cities like Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary is size. Vancouver is a bit of a different beast... we probably have more in common with a place like St. Louis than with Van.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:15 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

In the past quarter century or so I've seen Manitoba as a whole lumped in with "Central Canada" (usually means Ont. and Que.) but also "Western Canada" (BC, Alta., Sask.) at other times.

The trend however has been to refer to Manitoba as part of "Central Canada".

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 9:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Even though both are western, there is a pretty clear difference between 'west coast' and the sort of more midwestern parts... Edmonton/Vancouver, Denver/San Francisco... very different places IMO.

But to balletomane's point, I'd still say Winnipeg is western.I think we tend to obsess over small differences, but to most people the biggest obvious difference between Winnipeg and other prairie cities like Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary is size. Vancouver is a bit of a different beast... we probably have more in common with a place like St. Louis than with Van.
You don't say....

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'd say that "Western" is too imprecise of a categorization for classifying our cities and we don't really have a "Midwest".

So, depending on how fussy you want to be about cities in Canadian context, I'd break it down into 6 broad categories:

1. Atlantic Canada (maybe Newfoundland could stand on its own)
2. Quebec
3. Ontario (Northern Ontario might be its own thing too, see our discussion on TBay)
4. Prairies
5. West Coast
6. The North

By that standard, Winnipeg is most certainly a Prairie city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 7:42 PM

If we are talking about Canada - Western
in terms of North America - what is Minneapolis?

I never really considered Minneapolis as midwest City but seems its considered that - and I agree I wouldn't call Winnipeg a midwestern city but have seen studies that, when showing 'North American Regions' lump Manitoba in with Minnesota.

So Western seems to be better by all accounts. Though I think Minneapolis is a decent comparison if we had to go across borders.

( Saskatchewan and Alberta in with North Dakota's region (I think includes other places like Idaho, Montana, SD, Wyoming, etc) )

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
You don't say....

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'd say that "Western" is too imprecise of a categorization for classifying our cities and we don't really have a "Midwest".

So, depending on how fussy you want to be about cities in Canadian context, I'd break it down into 6 broad categories:

1. Atlantic Canada (maybe Newfoundland could stand on its own)
2. Quebec
3. Ontario (Northern Ontario might be its own thing too, see our discussion on TBay)
4. Prairies
5. West Coast
6. The North

By that standard, Winnipeg is most certainly a Prairie city.
Perfectly explained. Not Western, certainly not 'mid-western', definitely Prairie.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:02 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Perfectly explained. Not Western, certainly not 'mid-western', definitely Prairie.
I agree- we are a prairie province. If you had to be more specific, then I think we are central as opposed to the west. Winnipeg is almost directly in the center of Canada, which makes it hard to argue how we could be considered the "west". That term was a geo-political term coined many years ago for anything west of the Ontario border, however, Manitoba has often shared more political ties to Ontario than the western provinces. Even when you look at the NWPTA, Manitoba was pretty late to the show which, in my mind, represents the difficulty Manitoba has experienced in determining where we are aligned.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:18 PM

^ On one hand you say we're a prairie province but on the other hand you say we're central. Which is it? The prairies are a subregion of Western Canada... all 3 prairie provinces are western. Prairie provinces are by definition western.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:34 PM

^Read a study a couple of years ago that analyzed voting patterns and socio-economic indicators across the country. The study concluded that Winnipeg was socially and politically more similar to Ontario than to Saskatchewan and Alberta. Also, Winnipeg's diversified economy and the importance of manufacturing makes us less like other prairie cities that are more dependent on natural resource extraction.

When friends from AB or BC visit, they are usually surprised that Winnipeg has so many old historic buildings and neighborhoods. The older parts of Winnipeg feel - to me at least - more like the cities of the central Canada. Our suburbs feel more western or prairie. I think Winnipeg is more of a hybrid between east (Ontario) and West (Prairies).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:03 PM
jammon member

Quote:
^ On one hand you say we're a prairie province but on the other hand you say we're central. Which is it? The prairies are a subregion of Western Canada... all 3 prairie provinces are western. Prairie provinces are by definition western.
I don't agree. Manitoba can be both a prairie province and central because of it's geographic location. We're a prairie province because of our agricultural and landscape similarities to SK and AB. However, we also are central because of our geographic location within the context of Canada as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:21 PM

Winnipeg is Western. Mid-western is what? The staus Alberta gives you when they don't want you to be part of the west? Whatever it is, it isn't Eastern. Eastern cities don't have an existential debate about their region.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:00 PM

We should be western, but we have a government dependency complex that Sask, Ab, and BC don't have.

But we always go back and forth between conservative and NDP provincially, so yeah, there's some West in us...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
The easternmost city in the western region, is still technically in the western region. What weird about calling the prairies "west" is that the true west is the west coast which is defined as it's own region. That was from a time in history when the west referred to the entirety of land west of Ontario and the rest was upper canada or lower canada. Just like it's weird calling the American states east of the "centroid" the American "mid-west" when spatially it's more accurate to call it the mid-east. The real mid-west should be everything west of the current midwest and east of the continental divide. Once we established descriptions for more than three regions we should refined the definition of the west to not include all three prairie provinces.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
We should be western, but we have a government dependency complex that Sask, Ab, and BC don't have.

But we always go back and forth between conservative and NDP provincially, so yeah, there's some West in us...
We're a prairie province, part of western Canada. I'm not sure what perceptions of "government dependency" really have to do with it. Did Saskatchewan only become a western province once the Bakken got hot?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
We're a prairie province, part of western Canada. I'm not sure what perceptions of "government dependency" really have to do with it. Did Saskatchewan only become a western province once the Bakken got hot?
Essentially, when I talk to those west of us, they are much more for free enterprise and lower taxes (BC is different but they have unique problems and tons of money). The way we lean on government for employment and general emotional sustenance is greater here, even though we often vote quite conservatively. It's a funny relationship.

Geographically yes, we're western. Saskatchewan came to their senses after Bakken, but I was hoping we'd learn a lesson from their mentality. Before Bakken, Sask and MB would be their own subdivision within Prairie, otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Geographically yes, we're western. Saskatchewan came to their senses after Bakken, but I was hoping we'd learn a lesson from their mentality. Before Bakken, Sask and MB would be their own subdivision within Prairie, otherwise.
Well then I guess you just need to find a Bakken within the borders of Manitoba, and Bob's your uncle!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:22 PM

^ I guess if they strike oil somewhere outside Kenora, Ontario officially becomes a western province too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan