HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
On South Osborne, it looks like Chaeban is ready to open any day (signage is up, interior looks complete).
it has to be any day, they are looking really complete inside. I hope the transit workers support them as they are the largest employer in the area!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:29 PM

^ It's going to be a tough slog for them over the next few months... I don't think people will be lining up for ice cream in weather like this. I wish them well, though!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:44 PM

They've put in the effort to create a hip/cool brand and marketing looks good. Looks like they'll be selling lots of packaged ice cream as well which will help.

I think they'll do well – hopefully they're smart enough to put a good espresso machine there and balance out winter by being a coffee shop of sorts.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:46 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They've put in the effort to create a hip/cool brand and marketing looks good. Looks like they'll be selling lots of packaged ice cream as well which will help.

I think they'll do well – hopefully they're smart enough to put a good espresso machine there and balance out winter by being a coffee shop of sorts.
Yeah, good point. That formula seems to have worked out reasonably well for Eva's Gelato on Corydon, although then again they have an office building above for which they are basically the café.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Agree. I'd be surprised if they weren't doing well by the time BDI, Sargent Sundae, etc. reopen their doors in Spring.

For a city that is so often averse to change, Winnipeggers love to jump onto something that's new, done well, and seems cool (pun unintended). So I think a really new way of doing an ice cream store (different from the tired old generation of seasonal ice cream shops), that has a great marketing campaign and a great location, will be eagerly embraced. Even in winter.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:15 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

Have you tried Nucci's Gelati on Corydon?

They operate all year round...and...it hosts former Forks Market pasta Tavola Calda.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:04 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Have you tried Nucci's Gelati on Corydon?

They operate all year round...and...it hosts former Forks Market pasta Tavola Calda.
Nucci's gelati is hands down the best in the city. It rivals and outdoes almost all the gelato I've tried in Italy as well. It's a cultural gem!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:19 AM

Osborne Village

Ok, being so close to Christmas and the holiday season , I hate to be negative but after driving by the Osborne Village Inn a few times lately , it is such an eyesore for the area . It should have been torn down and replaced by residential ( condos ) or some cool boutique hotel . It is a shame that whatever half assed plan is going on is taking forever and the outside look of it is pretty embarrassing! Such a great opportunity for someone unique there wasted for now !!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Ok, being so close to Christmas and the holiday season , I hate to be negative but after driving by the Osborne Village Inn a few times lately , it is such an eyesore for the area . It should have been torn down and replaced by residential ( condos ) or some cool boutique hotel . It is a shame that whatever half assed plan is going on is taking forever and the outside look of it is pretty embarrassing! Such a great opportunity for someone unique there wasted for now !!!
So does anyone know what the deal is here? I'm guessing they're doing just enough "construction" to be exempted from having to pay for a vacant boarded-building permit?

I really would like to see the city massively increase the cost of commercial boarded building permits (and set some sort of standard for the pace of construction to require that actual progress be made).

It should not be financially viable to buy a commercial building on an important strip and then just sit on it empty hoping conditions will improve.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:34 PM

What a stupid series of events for that place - very disappointed. Almost makes me want to write off the Osborne strip for next decade. Let me know when something good happens there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:59 PM

Proposal for 380 Osborne - 7 storey, parking on ground level beneath building and one underground level. [Edit] Only one commercial unit on ground floor (facing Osborne) and the rest is residential (second floor and above). DIN are the architects.
Nice to see some more infill in that area and near the rapid transit stop.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:02 PM

^ Great site, great looking little project. Anything that fills the gaps in South Osborne is A-OK in my books, especially something mixed use like this. I was wondering when we'd see something like this pop up around there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:16 PM

that's where the Ft Rouge Glass building are, that is great addition! I'm sure the new ice cream parlour will enjoy more residential neighbours

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:20 PM

^ It's the Fort Rouge Glass site? Then that's less exciting given that it's replacing an existing building... I thought it was going on one of the parking lots around there. Still good news, though... definitely an intensification of use.

When will something ever happen to the old Esso site just south of the bus garage? That space is really a gaping hole in the streetscape. I'd love to see a building like the one shown above go up on that site. I get that there are probably environmental remediation costs, but at some point something is going to happen there...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:31 PM

Imperial Oil probably remediated the Esso site to meet the soil quality guidelines for commercial land use, rather than a lower use (like residential), so you are right, there would likely be additional costs to clean up to the stricter standards that would permit residential use on the property.
Might also prohibit anything underground (parking or basement) which could limit options for redevelopment.
The oil companies typically don't like to sell retail gas station properties to anyone who intends to rezone to a different land use as it brings up additional complications about who is responsible for the residual contamination present (they don't clean the sites to non-detectable levels of contamination).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:31 PM

Looks like Fort Rouge moved last fall:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/380...!4d-97.1395481

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's the Fort Rouge Glass site? Then that's less exciting given that it's replacing an existing building... I thought it was going on one of the parking lots around there. Still good news, though... definitely an intensification of use.

When will something ever happen to the old Esso site just south of the bus garage? That space is really a gaping hole in the streetscape. I'd love to see a building like the one shown above go up on that site. I get that there are probably environmental remediation costs, but at some point something is going to happen there...
Ft Rouge Glass is a shitty industrial building covered in steel, a nice residential tower will be a great fit and it’s on the River! Easy site is just a site. More residential along our Rivers is great!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Yes, they have a huge new building out on McGillivray.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:58 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Imperial Oil probably remediated the Esso site to meet the soil quality guidelines for commercial land use, rather than a lower use (like residential), so you are right, there would likely be additional costs to clean up to the stricter standards that would permit residential use on the property.
When the gas station on the north-east corner of McPhillips and Jarvis was closed, they removed all the soil to a depth of about 12 feet, lined the hole with some kind of membrane, and refilled it. And that was before turning it into surface parking.

I know of property in Ontario where the new owners didn't even know that there was once a gas station on the site decades earlier. Or that the tanks were still in place and had leaked. The government hunted down the previous three owners and made everyone share the costs of removing all the soil and shipping it to Quebec for remediation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan