HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:40 PM

Everything the Police is saying right now about the cuts is purely 100% political. They're still playing off the fact that there budget didn't increase enough, even though they got $16M INCREASE last year.

Now they'll play off increasing crime rates as a budget issue. I guess I don't understand policing enough to figure out why their budget isn't enough. We're all too stupid because safety.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Interesting. Did not know that.

Fekkin Xerox.
They bought out ACS Public Sector Solutions a few years ago. ACS was the original provider of Photo Enforcement to the WPD.

ACS is a US based company (Dallas I believe is still their headquarters after the buyout)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:56 AM

So we pay 5 million+ a year for Xerox to fleece us. Why? Wouldn't that money be better spent on roads or a bridge?

Nice return on their investment I'm sure. Anybody else want to pretend that this isn't all about money? It sure as hell isn't about safety.

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Jun 10, 2017 at 8:21 AM. Reason: more

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:50 PM

For 5 million the city could install GoPros at thousands of intersections. Might be time to bring photo radar into this century.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkawall View Post
Yes, but cut them from the anti-gang squad specifically, in order to make a point about "disappointing outcomes" from preventative policing initiatives, despite clear evidence to the contrary, including that provided your own experts.

Back on thread, what does Bowman actually want for this city? At the outset he seemed to be a Nenshi in waiting. Now he seems to be Pallister's poodle, lacking any political or social orientation, twisting in the wind. I don't get it.
Federal MP or Neshi wannabe. But he will soon realize that this city isn't big enough for him to feel satisfied with being Nenshi jr.

Also, Nenshi is an insufferable twat. He's just so punchable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Everything the Police is saying right now about the cuts is purely 100% political. They're still playing off the fact that there budget didn't increase enough, even though they got $16M INCREASE last year.

Now they'll play off increasing crime rates as a budget issue. I guess I don't understand policing enough to figure out why their budget isn't enough. We're all too stupid because safety.
The Free Press needs to report on these drastic increases. Despite their reputation as simply angry people, teh Sun does a good job of getting to the dollars and cents of matters (often enough, atleast). But too many people write it off for no real reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
So we pay 5 million+ a year for Xerox to fleece us. Why? Wouldn't that money be better spent on roads or a bridge?

Nice return on their investment I'm sure. Anybody else want to pretend that this isn't all about money? It sure as hell isn't about safety.
Fully agreed. anything above breaking even should be tax rebates.

And suddenly they reduce their principal requirement for their photo radar budget...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:08 PM

Bowman's approval is 59% per probe research polling

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipe...-per-cent.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:14 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

'Nobody shows up': Winnipeg seniors waited 3 weeks for garbage pickup

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ckup-1.4362956

This is why we elect Couns. to manage civic stuff so this doesn't happen. I'm assuming their situation is special or the Couns. didn't foresee this kind of situation.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:10 PM
BANNED

Now this goof (Bowman) is worried about the Edmonton Eskimos name! Wow, is this what leadership of this once proud city has become!

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...456161833.html

Or did I wake from a coma and it's now April 1st?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:47 PM

^ I think his buddy Obby needs to school him on the finer points of football trash talk. As good an effort as it is, "Hey Edmonton, your team's name is potentially offensive" isn't going to cut too deep...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 9:00 PM

Edmonton Inuit. There... I guess Eskimo is seen as derogatory.

The worst one I can think of is the Toronto School removing the word chief from their job titles. FFs.. Chief is a word that describes someone who is at the top. It has been around for hundreds of years. But is somehow seen as offensive because indigenous people have chiefs in the English language. Overly sensitive society we live in.

Kansas City Chiefs. Is it offensive or an honour?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 9:29 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Renaming for political correctness will often get it right even beyond removing any offensiveness. Take the Canadian "National Museum of Man" for example. It was announced in 1986 that it would be renamed to avoid gender-bias. This provoked groans from those imagining "National Museum of Persons" and whatnot.

The new name was soon announced: The "Canadian Museum of Civilization." Even critics of the name change said, "Wait a minute. That's actually pretty good!"

In 2013 it was renamed again to the "Canadian Museum of History," presumably to remove bias against the non-civilized. I hadn't even complained.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Renaming for political correctness will often get it right even beyond removing any offensiveness. Take the Canadian "National Museum of Man" for example. It was announced in 1986 that it would be renamed to avoid gender-bias. This provoked groans from those imagining "National Museum of Persons" and whatnot.

The new name was soon announced: The "Canadian Museum of Civilization." Even critics of the name change said, "Wait a minute. That's actually pretty good!"

In 2013 it was renamed again to the "Canadian Museum of History," presumably to remove bias against the non-civilized. I hadn't even complained.
Winnipeg, Manitoba also did that with the former Museum of Man and Nature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYMw1ue6sc

Regarding Bowman's take, the Inuit don't even acknowledge that word.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Edmonton Inuit. There... I guess Eskimo is seen as derogatory.

The worst one I can think of is the Toronto School removing the word chief from their job titles. FFs.. Chief is a word that describes someone who is at the top. It has been around for hundreds of years. But is somehow seen as offensive because indigenous people have chiefs in the English language. Overly sensitive society we live in.

Kansas City Chiefs. Is it offensive or an honour?
It's obviously offensive or would be to many as it is quite easy to see what the logo is shaped like. No reference to homogenous leader there.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:12 PM
BANNED

One story after another about the dysfunction, lack of accountability and really, really poor decision making out of city hall.

The latest parking fiasco where free parking downtown on weekends never meant free (despite stickers on the meters stating free two hour parking) just another in a long line of screwups and of course no one is ever held accountable!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:02 PM

Winnipeg Parking Authority is going to be running the Vehicle for Hire program replacing the Winnipeg Taxi Board. It could be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The WPS and WFPS budgets are handcuffing (pardon the pun) this city, 45% going to fire and policing is ridiculous. Both have strong unions that are always on the defensive and that are also great at self promotion in the case of the fire department. Sending a fire truck out with five firefighters to medical distress calls when maybe only one firefighter is trained is over the top and Winnipeg is the only jurisdiction in Canada doing this. It’s nothing about safety and done solely to pad call numbers as actual fire calls are way down.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The WPS and WFPS budgets are handcuffing (pardon the pun) this city, 45% going to fire and policing is ridiculous. Both have strong unions that are always on the defensive and that are also great at self promotion in the case of the fire department. Sending a fire truck out with five firefighters to medical distress calls when maybe only one firefighter is trained is over the top and Winnipeg is the only jurisdiction in Canada doing this. It’s nothing about safety and done solely to pad call numbers as actual fire calls are way down.
Last I heard it was up to 47%.

Regarding the parking ticket fiasco, this is typical Winnipeg. Just like the red light cameras, amber light times, construction site signs, always looking for a way to punk the electorate. This has been a pattern now for years.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Last I heard it was up to 47%.

Regarding the parking ticket fiasco, this is typical Winnipeg. Just like the red light cameras, amber light times, construction site signs, always looking for a way to punk the electorate. This has been a pattern now for years.
We need some strong leadership with the balls to reign in all the union bullshit, but the current mayor and council are pretty much sterile in dealing with any of the unions and sadly it’s the uniions that run city hall and not the other way around!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah – 3% of fire truck dispatches actually involve fires currently. That is absolute lunacy, and it's frankly revolting that no one at the City has made a bigger deal about it and put their foot down.

Quote:
We need some strong leadership with the balls to reign in all the union bullshit, but the current mayor and council are pretty much sterile in dealing with any of the unions and sadly it’s the uniions that run city hall and not the other way around!
Yeah. Even though it's a city issue, and I'm generally not a supporter, I'd be all for the PCs to come in and say "enough is enough" – let them threaten to reduce city funding if there isn't serious overhauls to the WFPS.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:30 PM

Someone's head should roll over the Saturday parking fiasco.

Makes me wonder if there was a year end budget issue in someone's department where they might get a bonus or something. For it to happen on Dec 1st? And obviously enforcement was told about the change and to begin ticketing (the citizen said she was told to "check the website").

It was clearly done to get revenue from unsuspecting citizens. Disgusting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan