HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

Destroyed My Most Expensive Lens

Well, I hate my life right now. I went around downtown taking photos, didnt even take any. Put my D700 with my 14-24 Nikon on the tripod, heard it click, thought it was on there good. But no, of course not. It popped right off and went plummeting a good 6 ft to the cement, landing right on the top of the lens. Luckily, my camera seems to be fine but my damned 2200 dollar lens is stuck on 14mm, the lens hood is smashed and broken and theres rattling inside. It still takes photos but its blurry now on the edges and pretty well screwed. Im sure its f$%ked up. Somehow the autofocus still works fine but the lens is no good now that its blurry except for in the middle of the image. I just hope I can send it to Nikon and they can fix it for a fairly reasonable price, but Ill probably have to buy a new damned lens and I cant afford a 2200 dollar lens again.

I had been wanting that lens ever since I started photography, hell its the main reason I bought a D700 so I could use the 14-24mm on it. Ive had that lens for about 6 months now. Ive never destroyed any of my camera equipment for the last 10 years Ive been doing photography. FML. The front element seems to be fine as theres no cracked glass. Even if they can fix it, it will probably still cost a good 500 bucks probably.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 2:34 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Flickr®

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 9:25 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Ouch. So sorry, dude!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 9:32 AM
Paramoderator

Fuck man, that sucks so much. Dropping one of my lenses has always been one of my worst fears.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:53 PM

That is very bad news, you mentioned $500(probably) to repair ,my experience with Nikon is that the repair bill would start at about 50% of the value of the lens which is $1100,judging by the damage you described the bill would probably be in the $1500-$1800 range,now of course I'm talking about Montreal prices which is the rip-off capital of north America, but when your dealing with Nikon hope for the best but expect the worse

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:09 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Well that's just great news

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Well that's just great news
Let me stress I talking about Montreal prices you might get lucky where you are....a recent photo horror story, a month ago I went to a large photo store to see if they could repair a broken flash shoe, the stupid bitch at the counter came back with an estimate of $150-$250,I told that bimbo the store your working in sells the same flash for $200, she just responded with a blank stare...got on ebay and found the replacement piece for $17 (shipping included)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:38 PM

Shitty. I dropped my ultra-wide a few months ago, but it's "only" a $500 lens. It still works, but I had been hoping to sell it in as-new condition.

I wonder how much you could get for your broken lens on ebay? I've seen damaged lenses fetch decent prices before. Get a quote for repair and weigh your options.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:04 PM

$2200 lens and the built-in hood is made of plastic. This is sad.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

No the built in hood is made of metal. It hit the ground so hard it sheared off the metal.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 7:53 PM

What's kind of shittier is breaking someone elses camera when my tripod was toppled over.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

not sure if joe already mentioned this place but here they are anyway...

http://www.professionalcamerarepair.com/

they're on richmond, just east of 610.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
I went to the Houston Camera Exchange and they said just to send it to Nikon. Dont know which one would be cheaper.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:40 AM

It's covered under your renters / homeowners insurance. This is why people purchase it. Because we accidentally break and drop things that are expensive. I'd trash it and not deal with repairs. If you don't have a rider on it because it's an expensive item, you'll probably see your premiums go up....maybe $5-$7?

FYI, I sent in my Nikon D7000 for autofocus issue, Nikon sent it back, camera destroyed. I've lost total trust in their repair center. Unless the product has a manufacturer's defect, I'd never in my life deal with them for something I accidentally caused.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:10 AM
Ex Houstonian

What do you mean it was totally destroyed? Like they charged you to fix it and then it came back even more effed up?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:22 AM

It came back with camera guts outside of the camera in the bubble wrap. The box was in perfect condition. I have no idea between QA/QC and shipment how it got wrecked. Nikon admitted fault and the camera was sent back. It was under warranty so I paid nothing first time, and of course won't be the second time. I did have to pay for FedEx next day to get it out there in a rush, but that was very cheap. Never package your equipment yourself to send it in to Nikon. Let FedEx or UPS professionally package and send. I've been without it for awhile. I've been using a Canon with rented lenses for now.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:02 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It came back with camera guts outside of the camera in the bubble wrap. The box was in perfect condition. I have no idea between QA/QC and shipment how it got wrecked. Nikon admitted fault and the camera was sent back. It was under warranty so I paid nothing first time, and of course won't be the second time. I did have to pay for FedEx next day to get it out there in a rush, but that was very cheap. Never package your equipment yourself to send it in to Nikon. Let FedEx or UPS professionally package and send. I've been without it for awhile. I've been using a Canon with rented lenses for now.
Not actually related to the topic at hand, but I've noticed that you've changed your location to Los Angeles. Are you now living in L.A.?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:04 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Dayummmm, That's pricey. I'm sorry.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:06 PM
Editor

Ouch! I was sour for a few days after dropping my 70-300mm Sigma lens....which was only 200 bucks.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 5:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

outch

sounds like one of the inner lens's came loose not good witch is prolly what u hear rattling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography