HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 12:44 AM

Toronto: La festa della "Madonna" Italian festival

Today my parents and I went to the annual Festa Della Madonna, which is to celebrate the patron saint of the town my dad comes from in Italy, which is Maria S.S. Di Constantinopoli.

The story is that the town was suffering from a cholera outbreak and a picture of Maria Di Constantinopoli washed up on shore, and the town people were cured of the cholera.

Because of the large population of people from my dads town in Toronto, they have their own association and hold an annual festa here. The really cool and large one is in the actual town in Italy, which is just outside of Bari City.

The festival used to take place right in central Toronto, however they have moved the festival to a park one hour out of the city, and they have the parade through the park and everyone BBQ's, and there is dancing, etc.

Some years, bus trips of people come from NYC, Chicago, and other places in the USA.
A smaller festival for the same saint are held in Los Angeles on Broadway in downtown LA, and my parents went to it this year.

Anyway enjoy a quick look at the Toronto one. I think cultural festivals like this are really important and special.

Closing prayer after the procession.

The handing out of the blessed bread.

And of course what Italians can't wait to do, eat. The rest of the afternoon is eating.

These things are disgusting as far as I am concerned, but people from my dads town go nuts for them. They are shipped to Toronto once a year.

People usually make the rounds around the park saying "hi" to people they don't get to see often. So you can catch people just stopping anywhere in the park and catching up with people.

There is even some singing and dancing.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

What park is this? Also, what are those "disgusting" things?

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
What park is this? Also, what are those "disgusting" things?
That is the Evening Bell Park out in Adjala, which is west of Newmarket and north of Bolton, out in the middle of basically nowhere.
Following the typical Italian tradition of moving out, the festival keeps being moved further and further from Toronto

The disgusting things are a kind of mini onion that you boil and then put different seasonings on. But it is a really special tiny kind of onion that only comes in once a year, and Toronto is one of the lucky cities to get a shipment. We have relatives from Detroit wait for us to bring them a bag as they can't even get them in their Italian stores. So yeah people go nuts for them.

Some videos from the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlMn4RmJr8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59q9XzdCous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14J5Dlg6r9s

Can any Italians figure out what is being said here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ulRkQgFL0

Toronto has one of the largest Italian populations outside of Italy, and I don't have hard facts but we probably have the largest population of Italians outside of Italy from my dads town. We always joke how large his town would be if all the Toronto people moved back

Last edited by miketoronto; Jul 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 2:19 PM

Onions don't sound that bad, I'd give them a try. Now if they were some weird creature or the inside of a creature, I might not.

Thanks for the photos.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

Never heard of that park.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 4:39 PM

Its a private park. Not the kind you just stroll into. It is owned by the Slavic Association of Toronto or something like that.

You would not really have heard of it, as it basically is in the middle of nowhere. We got lost for like an hour trying to find it, and even locals did not know about it.

I was trying to figure out why it was held out there, and I think my mom figured out the reason. FREE PARKING. The Conservation Authority parks charge parking, and pay parking does not go over well with people.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
I was trying to figure out why it was held out there, and I think my mom figured out the reason. FREE PARKING. The Conservation Authority parks charge parking, and pay parking does not go over well with people.
I think Boyd (in Kleinburg) has free parking, but there would be a fee to use a large private picnic area...

Flickr®

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography