HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Are you serious? We vote for school bonds even if we don't have kids.

Thinking beyond yourself is basic citizenship and patriotism. And maybe some pragmatism, as the health of cities will often support the rural areas.

A gas tax would presumably spread benefits to whatever geography is paying in any case.
Am I serious that raising the gas tax to make marginal improvements in ONE city in a state that is overwhelmingly rural is a bad idea? Yes.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Particularly to outsiders, states are defined to some extent by their biggest cities. And big cities are defined primarily by their downtowns. And if their downtown offers little to visitors other than parking lots, it is not leaving a very good image.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 11:35 PM

Yes. But LR having an awesome bus service will do zero for its image for outsiders, besides us nerds.

Also businesses and tourists will stay away when gas is 3x the national average.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:51 AM

What's the end game of this though. Is the world really missing out on a slightly more vibrant downtown Little Rock? Are the citizens of Little Rock? Would LR have anything to attract tourists even if it had a few less parking lots?

This just doesn't strike me as a problem that needs solving, it's just the way things are.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:08 AM

Little Rock actually has quite a robust fintech sector: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/334247

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:53 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
What's the end game of this though. Is the world really missing out on a slightly more vibrant downtown Little Rock? Are the citizens of Little Rock? Would LR have anything to attract tourists even if it had a few less parking lots?

This just doesn't strike me as a problem that needs solving, it's just the way things are.
Little Rock is representative of several other Southern cities its size, particularly those that are relatively healthy and stable but lacking attributes such as a unique culture, a well-preserved historic urban core, a pronounced geographic setting, etc that would at least attract large numbers of visitors, or an important economic engine--or the ability to curry the political favor to get significant economic investment steered its way--to stimulate strong job growth, both of which would accelerate downtown development and produce increased property tax revenue for the city. Such cities usually also have in-state/regional peers to compete with that are getting that level of development. All of this makes for challenging circumstances to some degree with the emerging post-pandemic urban environment being a wild card.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:08 PM

LR has a minor draw of Arkansans who want to drink and shit but don't want to drive all the way to Fayetteville(or don't like the college crowd) or want to go to Memphis. Plenty of people in northeast Arkansas make the trip, although it isn't as common as going to Memphis( probably 85% go to Memphis, 15% to LR).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Little Rock is representative of several other Southern cities its size, particularly those that are relatively healthy and stable but lacking attributes such as a unique culture, a well-preserved historic urban core, a pronounced geographic setting, etc that would at least attract large numbers of visitors, or an important economic engine--or the ability to curry the political favor to get significant economic investment steered its way--to stimulate strong job growth, both of which would accelerate downtown development and produce increased property tax revenue for the city. Such cities usually also have in-state/regional peers to compete with that are getting that level of development. All of this makes for challenging circumstances to some degree with the emerging post-pandemic urban environment being a wild card.
Compared to most other Mid-South cities Little Rock sits in a scenic area next to the Ouachita Mountains. The neighborhoods west of downtown by Allsopp Park and on the bluffs above the river are in a beautiful setting. More similar to Birmingham, Nashville or Greenville, SC. So it has that going for it along with the Arkansas River flowing next to downtown which is a navigable river. After visiting a few times I’ve wondered why this city isn’t growing faster and more well-known. Seems like it could be a good alternate for people priced out of places like Austin, Nashville or Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Seems like it could be a good alternate for people priced out of places like Austin, Nashville or Atlanta.
Jobs and it's in Arkansas. I'm thinking most people would have to take a paycut moving from those cities to Little Rock.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Jobs and it's in Arkansas. I'm thinking most people would have to take a paycut moving from those cities to Little Rock.
Likely true, for now. I see the Mid-South gaining a lot of traction going forward though and cities like Little Rock will be part of that. The whole belt between Tulsa and Raleigh-Durham along and near the 35th parallel. Nashville and Atlanta are already stars within this region, will Little Rock and Birmingham step up?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Likely true, for now. I see the Mid-South gaining a lot of traction going forward though and cities like Little Rock will be part of that. The whole belt between Tulsa and Raleigh-Durham along and near the 35th parallel. Nashville and Atlanta are already stars within this region, will Little Rock and Birmingham step up?
Birmingham has already started to. There are some impressive things happening there and when it hosts the World Games next year, it will start to get noticed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:05 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Birmingham has already started to. There are some impressive things happening there and when it hosts the World Games next year, it will start to get noticed.
What are the "World Games?" Like a knock off Olympics?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post

You don't see how horrible land use and bad urban planning in the US is something that needs solving? And on a forum like this? Is this a joke?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:47 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
What are the "World Games?" Like a knock off Olympics?
in short, an international competition featuring sports that are NOT part of the Olympics. a lot of sports start here and eventually make their way into the Olympic Games (beach volleyball and badminton, for instance). conversely, i think there are some that used to by Olympic events but are no longer.

list of sports included in the 2022 World Games: Sports Program

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 10:06 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
in short, an international competition featuring sports that are NOT part of the Olympics. a lot of sports start here and eventually make their way into the Olympic Games (beach volleyball and badminton, for instance). conversely, i think there are some that used to by Olympic events but are no longer.

list of sports included in the 2022 World Games: Sports Program
Huh, that's pretty interesting! Seems like a pretty big deal. I've never even heard of some of those sports... Korfball? Fistball? Orienteering?... so I'd be interested to watch! Thanks for the education!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Quote:
People are moving to Arkansas: to Fayetteville and northwest Arkansas. That area is in the mountains, not just near the mountains. And Fayetteville is a college town, so it's hip and has some cultural amenities and all.

On the surface, the only thing Little Rock has going for it over northwest Arkansas is an airport with better connections to other cities across the US. Maybe I'm wrong, but as an outsider, it sure seems that simple.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
People are moving to Arkansas: to Fayetteville and northwest Arkansas. That area is in the mountains, not just near the mountains. And Fayetteville is a college town, so it's hip and has some cultural amenities and all.

On the surface, the only thing Little Rock has going for it over northwest Arkansas is an airport with better connections to other cities across the US. Maybe I'm wrong, but as an outsider, it sure seems that simple.
It's that simple.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Does Little Rock even have that? I've never actually been to Arkansas, but I had to look into flights (for work) to both Little Rock and Bentonville/Fayetteville a few times in the past. I was surprised that there are no direct flights between NYC and Little Rock, while there are direct flights between NYC and Bentonville/Fayetteville.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:39 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Does Little Rock even have that? I've never actually been to Arkansas, but I had to look into flights (for work) to both Little Rock and Bentonville/Fayetteville a few times in the past. I was surprised that there are no direct flights between NYC and Little Rock, while there are direct flights between NYC and Bentonville/Fayetteville.
Looking it up on Wikipedia, it would appear that Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport actually does offer more destinations than does Little Rock National Airport. You can fly direct from XNA to San Francisco, LaGuardia and Newark, DC, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and Austin, and you can't from LIT. About the only destination LIT offers that XNA does not is St. Louis.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:11 PM

I mean, one big difference is that Little Rock is a city/metro area, while NWA is basically an amorphous geography of sprawl around Walmart HQ and University of Arkansas. If you want to live in a more defined city/metro, with all that entails, Little Rock would be the logical choice.

And re. flights, it makes sense that NWA would have much better connections, given the importance of Walmart/suppliers/affiliates. For years Walmart had some "design center" in SoHo/Tribeca area, which probably accounts for all their hipster, coastal elitist cred (sarcasm). They probably have other regional offices requiring regular connections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions