HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 3:03 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I just saw this at the application link so maybe some of those trees may be temporary.

Additional land uses may be added to the development in the future. The future land uses are tentative but are included in the traffic impact study analysis:
. Library
153,000 gross square-feet

. Child Development Program
17,000 gross square-feet

. Performing Arts Center
800 Seats

. Offices
72,000 gross square-feet

. Art Studio
48,000 gross square-feet

. Boutique Hotel
120 Rooms

At the time of full build-out in 2020, the JUMP development, including
future tentative land uses.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 3:38 AM

For now they will probably call it Jack's massive lawn park..

This will probably bite them later. Once the economy rebounds, which it most certainly will in the future, they will probably look at themselves and wish they would have spent the money now in this economy.. Same building ten years from now will be probably twice the cost.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:01 AM

That's interesting about the tentative land uses. I just can't imagine the corners of Front and 9th, and Myrtle and 11th just sitting as empty park space. Those are two of the most high profile locations in the entire city and probably why they aren't being wasted by parking garages or other stubby buildings. Hopefully the Simplots can get at least this much done, which could possibly open the door to other developers wanting to put something even better than anticipated, should they be allowed. I guess I'm more excited by the potential this creates than just developing the whole thing at once and calling it good.

Last edited by Visualize; Jan 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 4:38 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
That's interesting about the tentative land uses. I just can't imagine the corners of Front and 9th, and Myrtle and 11th just sitting as empty park space. Those are two of the most high profile locations in the entire city and probably why they aren't being wasted by parking garages or other stubby buildings. Hopefully the Simplots can get at least this much done, which could possibly open the door to other developers wanting to put something even better than anticipated, should they be allowed. I guess I'm more excited by the potential this creates than just developing the whole thing at once and calling it good.
I agree, while it is a bit scaled back, I like the fact that it is open and inviting and a place that people will actually congregate. Also if more housing in the future gets built downtown, these sorts of open spaces will be great assets.
Finally, I think the fact that a long term plan is being put into it is a smart idea because that indeed is a LOT of open space that is prime realestate and allows for another office tower or hotel tower to come along later when the demand is there, or even a beautiful centerpiece library...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 5:45 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Gads...

I'm surprised there isn't a bigger backlash to the redesign. I liked the old design a lot better -- or if nothing else, just the fact that it was white, which would've made it stand out better.

I've got a sinking feeling like this building is not going to translate well from rendering to life.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:37 PM

What do you all think about the wang doodles? The new Simplot Corp Headquarters is going to add great mass fronting Front Street. This is going to be so much better than the empty parking lots there currently.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:49 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidFromBoise View Post
Gads...

I'm surprised there isn't a bigger backlash to the redesign. I liked the old design a lot better -- or if nothing else, just the fact that it was white, which would've made it stand out better.

I've got a sinking feeling like this building is not going to translate well from rendering to life.
I don't believe the old design was to be white.. the drawings were just white, the model showed it to be copper..
What it does have in the new design is a bit more glass which is something that will still stand out. Granted this new design does leave quite a bit of the area open and green like a park where in the old design it seemed to cover the entire 4 blocks. I dunno, I'm a bit disappointed that it is scaled back and we won't get as big of a footprint initially. But also, if they have long term plans, in the end it could turn out to be quite impressive. I mean there are plenty of areas on the corner of 9th and front and 9th and myrtle as well as 11th and myrtle for additional towers or a centerpiece library to be incorporated into it. I dunno, the prospect of having that area open for additional towers in the future that make the overall development more multi purpose sits better with me than having the entire property flanked with a 5 story structure.

I will say though that the simplot headquarters building portion could be re-done rather than just using the old concept. I mean a taller building with less of a footprint on the 4 blocks would allow for a paved courtyard like the grove with seating and fountains as well as space for all the possible additions. I would like to see the simplot building 25-35 stories and a smaller footprint.. than a wall of 14 stories along two blocks

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:58 PM

According to info deep in the pdf. attachement the designs are all preliminary to show the massing and give an idea of the overall look.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 7:07 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
According to info deep in the pdf. attachement the designs are all preliminary to show the massing and give an idea of the overall look.
thats good.. its time for boise to get something above 300 ft. and what better company to make that happen than a long time corporate headquarters Simplot. I just think from a business standpoint if you're looking to eventually incorporate other investors for possible hotels, offices, and public buildings it would make sense to make the simplot building the centerpiece by making it taller, and having a smaller footprint so there's more room for those other ventures and the overall concept of open plaza in the middle remains feasible.

Because the convention center will be on the other side of 11th.. it would make more sense to put the Simplot building closer to the corner of 9th and front which would be a fantastic spot for a 25-35 story building. and then a courtyard could still pass through from bodo to the convention center but still allow for a 10-15 story hotel along 11th and front

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
For now they will probably call it Jack's massive lawn park..
From the foothills to downtown, they will always have a huge yard .

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 10:04 PM

Since they are still insisting on floating all the buildings on stilts they should add some impressive lighting effects similar to what is found on this bridge in Miami. The Simplot headquarters could be the floating alien mother ship residing over downtown.

http://giltphoto.com/miami-full.htm

No...but seriously...they should do this.

Last edited by Visualize; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
Because the convention center will be on the other side of 11th.. it would make more sense to put the Simplot building closer to the corner of 9th and front which would be a fantastic spot for a 25-35 story building. and then a courtyard could still pass through from bodo to the convention center but still allow for a 10-15 story hotel along 11th and front
Yes exactly.... That was what I was saying earlier. Build it taller which would leave more room for the courtyard and parking and such..

Believe me, the space in the downtown is going to continue to grow. You might as well utilize that area practically while you've got it..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:21 AM

Well, I'm not sure about the new design myself. I like it but don't at the same time. I would like to see it taller really.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:01 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Yes exactly.... That was what I was saying earlier. Build it taller which would leave more room for the courtyard and parking and such..

Believe me, the space in the downtown is going to continue to grow. You might as well utilize that area practically while you've got it..
then we agree, it's one of those things that you can't go back and re-do 20 years later as easy as you can just have a bit of forethought before you start even laying a brick..The simplot headquarters could be a taller building on the corner of 9th and front, allowing for another developement hotel or office tower on 11th and front for a normal right of way from 10th into the complex much like 8th street into the grove rather than a tunnel through a building to get into it...a tunnel will provide access, but the perception of a tunnel is not the same as an open flow corridor IMO

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
then we agree, it's one of those things that you can't go back and re-do 20 years later as easy as you can just have a bit of forethought before you start even laying a brick..The simplot headquarters could be a taller building on the corner of 9th and front, allowing for another developement hotel or office tower on 11th and front for a normal right of way from 10th into the complex much like 8th street into the grove rather than a tunnel through a building to get into it...a tunnel will provide access, but the perception of a tunnel is not the same as an open flow corridor IMO
Yep... Exactly. Keep it consolidated into one tall building. What tends to happen as the company grows (which it most certainly will) is that they run out of space and then have to build other buildings sometimes in other locations. I think the decision to trim the sides is probably a good but one but it seems they may add these extensions later. If so, why not go up and keep the green terraces and go up?

In other words pay now or more pay later.. We will probably never have a recession like this one. Take advantage of it (cheap labor) now while it lasts. Always plan for the future guys..

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 9:08 PM

So, if construction is supposed to start this summer we should start seeing some demolition soon, except for maybe that attorney office on the corner of 9th and Myrtle!?!?!?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 10:11 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
So, if construction is supposed to start this summer we should start seeing some demolition soon, except for maybe that attorney office on the corner of 9th and Myrtle!?!?!?
we should be seeing a final rendering before that...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:22 PM

These renderings are very vague so it is hard to base an opinion off of them. As they are now it isn't that impressive and the green space is not a bad idea but it looks a little awkward in those renderings.

And in regards to building bigger/taller just because it is cheaper now than in the future...I can't think of many people or companies that build just because it is cheap and at present there is no one to occupy the space and at this rate there won't be anyone for quite sometime. Nobody wants to manage, pay the mortgage, or taxes on a huge empty building. Would you buy a 5000 square foot house now because you are thinking of having a lot of kids in 10 years?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Since they are still insisting on floating all the buildings on stilts they should add some impressive lighting effects similar to what is found on this bridge in Miami. The Simplot headquarters could be the floating alien mother ship residing over downtown.

http://giltphoto.com/miami-full.htm

No...but seriously...they should do this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 10:19 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
These renderings are very vague so it is hard to base an opinion off of them. As they are now it isn't that impressive and the green space is not a bad idea but it looks a little awkward in those renderings.

And in regards to building bigger/taller just because it is cheaper now than in the future...I can't think of many people or companies that build just because it is cheap and at present there is no one to occupy the space and at this rate there won't be anyone for quite sometime. Nobody wants to manage, pay the mortgage, or taxes on a huge empty building. Would you buy a 5000 square foot house now because you are thinking of having a lot of kids in 10 years?
I think what was being discussed was that the simplot headquarters part which would already be filled and not vacant. and I don't remember anyone saying the existing footprint should be taller, it was discussed that the long 2 block building be a smaller footprint on the corner of 9th and front and it being taller... this way their headquarters could be the same squarefootage as this current structure, but be more of a signature tower and allow for another possible tower or hotel to occupy the space it would save later as demand increases.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West