130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:57 PM

Is there a start date for this beauty?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:02 PM
BANNED

^I parked in this beauty's lot yesterday and spoke to the parking attendant who actually used to work at the 151 lot.. He said he's not going anywhere until the "building across the street is finished"..Then again, I don't think the buildings are under the same ownership, same developer, contractor or have any other connection whatsoever, and he's also just a parking attendant. So, the short of it is.... Sam?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:37 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Well......

Since I don't get my economic and financial news from Streetwise, and I sure as shit don't get my editorial content nor arts reviews or social and culture news from the Wall Street Journal, I also definitely do not take any development tips (as a general rule) from parking attendants. This is not to say that someone (perhaps even affiliated with a firm involved/to be involved with the project) definitely did not mention something to this effect to this person. That's a possibility, but even if they did, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what the person actually thinks is going to happen (and further, even in a case in which the person does actually think that is what is going to happen at that particular moment, it may still not turn out that way)....

Long way of saying that nothing the parking attendant asserted here is enough to alter my thinking that the real plan is still (likely as long as Tishman Speyer can land an anchor tenant by then) to be in the ground with this one +/- end of 2016....................this is the time to build, I simply would not understand their justification for holding this one for early part of the next cycle (based on my understanding of this macro cycle, as well as goings on at Tishman)..........

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:39 AM
MPLSXCHI

With 250,000sf already leased at John Buck's tower... crains is reporting that CNA were talking with Tishman about leasing in this tower. Tishman has 750,000sf at the CNA Tower.

Quote:
CNA also had advanced discussions on a similar deal with New York-based developer Tishman Speyer Properties, which has an office development site across the street from Buck's project on Franklin Street, Gerber said.
Looks like they really missed out.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the stacking plan on the website clearly shows a building with 50 floors, not 53 as we previously had heard, so maybe this one has been downsized a touch?

losing 3 floors would equal roughly 42', bringing this one down to the 710' range.
^Pretty good estimate. This drawing from the bid set shows 50 floors at a total height of 699' to parapet :/

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Pretty good estimate. This drawing from the bid set shows 50 floors at a total height of 699' to parapet :/

thanks for the update.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:00 PM

Booo...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:28 PM
All-American City Boy

This thing went from a rockstar to just so-so. Happens far too often here.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

^ Because of the reduction in height? That's hogwash.

Three fewer floors on the building does not diminish the quality of the design or the beauty of the facets.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 11:32 PM
DENNAB

I agree, the height reduction is hardly noticeable. We always knew the building would be around 700, now build!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:09 PM
you know where I'll be

Yeah, this design will be fantastic at 750' or 700'.

However, do not count out the taller version by any means. Think about it: each of River Point, 150 Riverside, and 151 Franklin either added 3-4 floors, or - if they're we're two versions floating around from the beginning of the design, went with the taller/larger of the two versions. It's possible that if Tishman decides to go spec, or lands an anchor/combination of anchors less than 200,000 sq ft or so, that they may opt for the shorter/smaller version.......possible, but with this cycle expected to go on for a few more years at minimum, and possibly/just maybe up to 5 or so.......it's leaving money on the table if your Tishman not to go just about up to what is entitled for in the PD.......

So, if I have to guess, it would be that they'll opt for the 53/54 story version at the end of the day........we'll see......

Also, it's interesting - back at the first community meeting for this - I think Aprilish of last year, I believe it was BVic that questioned/pointed out some nice visual benefit of this breaking thru the (I'll call it roughly) 640'-680' plateau-like effect of the newer Wacker towers.......the architect (was it Krueck or Sexton? I forget actually) readily acknowledged that and maintained that it was a reason to go for some additional height - up to 750'+............although I couldn't agree more that this height obsession in general that many seem to have is quite childish and silly, I do have to admit that I agree with the point of there being some definite additional visual interest, aesthetically on the skyline, that this tower would provide at the 750'ish version, and would not at 700', as that just wouldn't clear the Wacker mini-plateau by enough...........................for what it's worth!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah, this design will be fantastic at 750' or 700'.

However, do not count out the taller version by any means. Think about it: each of River Point, 150 Riverside, and 151 Franklin either added 3-4 floors, or - if they're we're two versions floating around from the beginning of the design, went with the taller/larger of the two versions. It's possible that if Tishman decides to go spec, or lands an anchor/combination of anchors less than 200,000 sq ft or so, that they may opt for the shorter/smaller version.......possible, but with this cycle expected to go on for a few more years at minimum, and possibly/just maybe up to 5 or so.......it's leaving money on the table if your Tishman not to go just about up to what is entitled for in the PD.......

So, if I have to guess, it would be that they'll opt for the 53/54 story version at the end of the day........we'll see......

Also, it's interesting - back at the first community meeting for this - I think Aprilish of last year, I believe it was BVic that questioned/pointed out some nice visual benefit of this breaking thru the (I'll call it roughly) 640'-680' plateau-like effect of the newer Wacker towers.......the architect (was it Krueck or Sexton? I forget actually) readily acknowledged that and maintained that it was a reason to go for some additional height - up to 750'+............although I couldn't agree more that this height obsession in general that many seem to have is quite childish and silly, I do have to admit that I agree with the point of there being some definite additional visual interest, aesthetically on the skyline, that this tower would provide at the 750'ish version, and would not at 700', as that just wouldn't clear the Wacker mini-plateau by enough...........................for what it's worth!
Agreed at whatever height they go with this building will be fantastic if it gets off the ground.

I actually don't mind the height obsession though I think it's just city pride. I've traveled quite a bit and nobody anywhere is as proud of their buildings as Chicagoans.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:29 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Agreed at whatever height they go with this building will be fantastic if it gets off the ground.

I actually don't mind the height obsession though I think it's just city pride. I've traveled quite a bit and nobody anywhere is as proud of their buildings as Chicagoans.
And as BVic was referenced to mention, height can be aesthetic beyond a mere measuring contest

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:17 AM

It'll be interesting to see if Tyshman can get this off the ground in this cycle.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:00 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I continue to think they'll be successful in doing so.....however, they're likely going to want to be in the ground by first half of 2017 at latest........I still think there's a chance they may go spec, and at any rate have a good chance to start by late this year......fundamentals and capital markets are really well aligned this year to make this happen!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
didnt CNA commit to a good chunk of this thing?
No they're going to the Buck tower at 151.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 1:04 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Because of the reduction in height? That's hogwash.

Three fewer floors on the building does not diminish the quality of the design or the beauty of the facets.
I was under the impression the cool angled glass facade was taken away and we're now left with a plain box. Is that not the case?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 5:50 AM

Looking closely at the diagram side profile it looks like the fun angles are still there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:13 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I was under the impression the cool angled glass facade was taken away and we're now left with a plain box. Is that not the case?
No. The angles in the facade have always been subtle and don't show well in orthogonal drawings.

You need light reflecting off the glass to notice the facets really.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:55 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Looking closely at the diagram side profile it looks like the fun angles are still there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No. The angles in the facade have always been subtle and don't show well in orthogonal drawings.

You need light reflecting off the glass to notice the facets really.
Got it, thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals