HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 9:50 AM
BANNED

simple. because they live a suburban lifestyle.

btw, you could have asked this question with a one-liner. most of your effort was aimed at defaming me with personal attacks. i'm honored you're that obsessed w/ me.

next.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Hmmm, LA/LB working together to "green up". 300,000 to 600,000 new port related jobs by 2025. 500,000 port related jobs now. Port business expected to triple by 2020. Immense world influence. Trade in NY and London? Oh, that's right! You're talking about financial trade. You're talking about a whole 'nuther world. One that suits your path to enlightenment. The text that I just offerred here better conforms to the thread topic and at the same time gives you another paradigm to cry about. Let's see, I'll just put Hollywood on top of that and- Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner, Los Angeles matters. See, I was general in my assertion, gave you two examples that put relative shame to London and NY, and at the same time taught you how to be humble. Since the burden on proof has been lifted, we don't expect to hear from you again on this, do we? You are so over this, aren't you? bdee bdee bdee bthat's all folks! Daa da da da da daa da d da da da daaa, da da da da da daa daaa DAAA

Last edited by milquetoast; Dec 27, 2007 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 8:31 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Edit.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Dec 25, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:43 AM
BANNED

spit it out westsidelife! you got something to say, say it

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It wasn't directed toward you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm not one to take your bait. Cheers.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:27 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

on, milky.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:33 AM
BANNED

^i know, i've just been noticing you seem to post a lot of edits.

btw, milque has merely forwarded the same flawed argument about economic influence. i don't see how port business "influences" global economics. do crane-operators influence demand or supply? but i won't continue raining on your little parade of ignorance...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:40 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Despite the implications of my previous post, I never co-signed with milk. Don't assume things.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:46 AM
BANNED

i wasn't assuming anything. i was speaking to milque. don't assume things

btw, i'm not trying to "bait" anybody. but if you think i do only because someone else said it and you have no mind of you own, then too bad i guess...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
If LA were simply falling apart, that would be one thing, but all the old junk yards, autorepair shops, tract homes, dead zones, empty streetscapes, antiseptic buildings, etc. just give it an ugliness that no other city has.
I think it's the biggest downer or flaw about LA, to more ppl than not.

This quote unfortunately sums it up:

Quote:
"L.A's physical form does not match its economy," said Tom Cody, a South Group principal who described much of the local terrain as "a sea of mediocrity."

Many ppl in LA complain about being stuck in traffic & not having good transit as an alternative way of getting around. Or some of them gripe about condo bldgs having parking podiums, or being too short, or being next to sidewalks that don't open up to enough stores. Or hoods being too burban & bland. But all of that is made way, way worse by too much of it being filled with, or surrounded or served by scenes not much better than this:

Omar Omar at flickr.com

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 6:16 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ You're ridiculous.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 6:51 AM
BANNED

i know a much more appropriate word than ridiculous. but i can't use it here.

i don't see what's so hard to understand about the fact that if we got rich people from the suburbs, westside, etc to move into the core and pump money into it, everything would start to look great again. we need money, and how do we get money concentrated in a city core? we make it easier for richer people to travel/set up shop there. sure we need to balance growth with ethics (eg not displacing poor folks), but c'mon, LA is fucking dirt poor. Because LA is so ubiquitously poor, virtually any sort of gentrification is going to result in "undesired" consequences such as displacement. If you're waiting for some social program to magically erase poverty in one generation so that we don't need to rely on gentrification, don't hold your breath.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:50 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Money is needed in the core, but I wouldn't say that L. A. is a dirt poor city. It's always described to me in media as rich. Take Paris, for example- one of the 'big' four. What's the unemployment rate there? I'll just bet that Paris is surrounded by areas that look just like the pic above- with one exception: The parked cars would be on fire

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:54 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
i don't see how port business "influences" global economics. do crane-operators influence demand or supply?
If they go on strike a lot of 'people' will lose money on both sides of the ocean.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Money is needed in the core, but I wouldn't say that L. A. is a dirt poor city. It's always described to me in media as rich. Take Paris, for example- one of the 'big' four. What's the unemployment rate there? I'll just bet that Paris is surrounded by areas that look just like the pic above- with one exception: The parked cars would be on fire
Paris is flithy, and grimmy in many areas, plus you see a lot of ugly buildings in that city. In a sense it kind of reminded me of Los Angeles. It has a lot of glamour and rich, and yet you see a big gap between the two.

Its not that other big american cities don't have their poor. What I think is different with LA and cities like Paris is its often hyped up in the media, and many come to not expect this from city well known for its glamour, and wealth.

Los Angeles has its uglyness for sure, but its really not any worse (probably better compared to the biggest American cities) than the rest. I've seen a lot of cities, and being that I often go to the non tourist areas, LA uglyness can't even compare to some of the decay I've seen. For one thing most LA poor communities aren't desolent and or abandoned, but for the most part thirving. They may not have Jamba Juice, and Coffee Beans, but they are full of retail, and businesses they normally caters to the locals.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If they go on strike a lot of 'people' will lose money on both sides of the ocean.
so your theory depends on the extremely rare case where our port workers go on strike. i'm talking about the day-to-day, not some freak circumstance. your theory does not suggest some ability of LA's economy having a normative role in influencing the global economy. I'm sure if a freak occurence such as everybody in Seattle committing suicide were to occur, the global economy would hiccup, but that doesn't address my topic does it?

and don't rely on the media for your "facts" milque, and especially don't quote the media when you use facts either. as far as wealth is concerned, everybody knows LA is generally a poorer city, with its wealth distributed among rich suburbs and the westside, kinda like detroit, and that this city does not concentrate wealth in a central core the way most major cities do, and thus, also unlike most major cities, is poorest and least educated in its most urban parts.

and your comment on parked cars on fire would be more appropriate in a discussion comparing suburbs of respective cities. remember? we're talking about getting people into LA's shitty core, not whether Parisian or Angeleno suburbanites are more disgruntled.

Last edited by edluva; Dec 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
You're ridiculous.
The "you" in "you're" has to include all the ppl who've reacted in a way that results in standings like this. And that includes ppl like Tom Cody.

I just notice---and ironically too----that Cody, or at least the company he works for, is based in the city that ranked on the top of the list at that link. I personally don't agree with the POV that led to those results, with Portland #1, LA on the bottom. So, yea, that IS ridiculous.

But just cuz I'm pointing out such ppl's opinions doesn't mean I approve of them. So remember: Don't shoot the messenger. Even more so since I----unlike a particular SSPer who shall go unnamed----do not get a kick out of saying it as it is. I don't get a buzz in slamming LA, & describing the city as hopeless, & saying that it's so bad that it can never get better. If I thought that way, or believed it wasn't any better today than it was 10 or 20 yrs ago, or definitely 50 yrs ago, I'd give up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Los Angeles has its uglyness for sure, but its really not any worse (probably better compared to the biggest American cities) than the rest. I've seen a lot of cities, and being that I often go to the non tourist areas, LA uglyness can't even compare to some of the decay I've seen.
I'm curious about what the parts of Paris that remind you of LA look like. I don't think LA is as fugly as some ppl make it out to be. But for any number of reasons, the city does cause alot of ppl to want to apologize for it. That includes even one of the most well known ppl identified with LA's history:

Quote:
Sums up Buffie Chandler: "I don't say Los Angeles is the most beautiful place on earth, or even the most desirable. I love San Francisco, for instance. But I could never live there, because everything that needed doing has long since been done.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I'll just bet that Paris is surrounded by areas that look just like the pic above- with one exception: The parked cars would be on fire

There's probably another exception too.

I just came across the pic above today, attached to this news story:

Thousands without power as winds buffet Los Angeles
Dec 27 01:04 PM US/Eastern

Around 5,700 homes across Los Angeles were without power early Thursday as fierce winds gusted across the city, downing power lines and knocking over trees. Los Angeles Department of Water and Power officials said at one stage overnight more than 19,000 households were blacked out as winds packing gusts of up to 80 miles (130 kilometers) per hour wreaked havoc across a wide area.

National Weather Service forecasters said the winds were expected to subside later Thursday. The winds also fanned small wildfires near Griffith Park in Los Angeles but firefighters were able to extinguish the flames before they could spread.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

You are wrong.

Paris suburbs

Picture by frederic masson
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=558849

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:51 AM

How about that other Paris suburb, Clichy sous Bois?

From interet-general.info

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West