HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 5:51 PM

Adjacent bridges of different types built decades apart

Is there a term for bridges of different types built side-by-side? For example, a roadway bridge built right next a railroad bridge?

A new example of this is about to happen - a second I-71/75 bridge over the Ohio River. The new tied arch bridge will open by 2030 and abut a 1963 cantilever truss bridge.

Incredibly, this pair will neighbor another pair, a 1920/1974 railroad/road pair. The 1974 road bridge is built on the piers of an earlier 1880s railroad bridge.

President Biden is speaking here today:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is that the final Brent Spence design? I thought it was still being worked on. So much better than the 150' wide behemoth shown in earlier renderings and the segregation of thru-interstate traffic from local traffic for each bridge is proper engineering that maybe would have been fumbled had this been funded a decade earlier. So maybe the wait will be worth it.

As for your question, i don't know of any special term for that situation.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:29 PM
你的媽媽

The term is a twin bridge or parallel bridge.

We have three parallel bridges here, as part of the Benicia-Martinez Bridge, which crosses the Carquinez Strait. In between the two vehicle bridges is a Union Pacific Railroad bridge.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is that the final Brent Spence design? I thought it was still being worked on.
I don't think that it's the final design.

That gigantic proposal was made because neither state wanted to pay to build the bridge. So they made the thing so big that it couldn't possibly be built without a giant federal grant.

FFWD to now and they downsized it to the more reasonable project they wanted all along now that free federal funding is available.

They are going to restripe the existing bridge from four lanes to three lanes on each deck. The existing bridge is going to become the "local" bridge. The new bridge is only going to handle the thru traffic. They haven't made the final design public but I imagine that there won't be any local ramps between Ezzard Charles Dr. in Cincinnati and 12th St. in Covington, but the "express" part of the system could be even longer. I believe that the I-71 through lanes in the trench will feed directly onto the new bridge but the current entrance/exit ramps will use the old bridge.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think the explanation has more to do with having ten years to refine the project and they realized there was cost savings in altering the design to limit needed property acquisition. The project remains huge and hugely expensive whether the deck was the width of a football field or the current stacked configuration.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:05 PM

^It's a preposterous project. Totally and completely unnecessary.

The project includes the totally unnecessary widening of I-75 a few miles north to the Western Hills Viaduct, which will also be rebuilt (although through a separate funding channel):

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:50 PM

The Burlington Skyway, the largest non-toll, non-border bridge in Ontario is comprised of two adjacent bridges. The oldest one opened in 1958 as a 4-lane toll bridge, and was twinned with a second 4-lane structure in 1985. Tolls were removed in 1973. I have an old toll booth token kicking around somewhere that I got from family for it.

The bridge today is extremely busy, and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation has preliminary plans to widen it once again at some point in the future by widening the 1985 structure and constructing a 3rd structure north of the 1958 bridge:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:53 PM

The other large bridge non-border bridge in Ontario, half an hour down the freeway in St. Catharines, is also planned to get a twin in the next few years with full funding provided and the early stages of procurement underway. This will likely be another plain-old box bridge though, nothing exciting to look at:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The term is a twin bridge or parallel bridge.

We have three parallel bridges here, as part of the Benicia-Martinez Bridge, which crosses the Carquinez Strait. In between the two vehicle bridges is a Union Pacific Railroad bridge.

Video Link

And just a few miles to the west, there's the Carquinez Bridge(s), which consists of one cantilever bridge built in 1958 (as a twin for the original 1926 bridge), and one suspension bridge built in 2003 (as a replacement for the bridge from 1926):

There's also this group of road/freeway bridges and an old rail drawbridge, across the Bay, in Larkspur:

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 3:01 AM

Conwy, England, is the site of probably the gnarliest group of clashing bridges on the planet.

A suspension bridge from the 1820s, a railroad bridge from the 1950s, and a newer vehicular arch bridge. There also was some sort of suspension foot bridge that was torn town at some point.

This still shows the suspension foot bridge that is gone:

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 3:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Conwy, England, is the site of probably the gnarliest group of clashing bridges on the planet.
Try telling the locals that they live in "England". Lol...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oops.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:21 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
meh, who has time for that? its all england to the rest of the world.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:49 PM

On the topic of bridges in the UK (I'll refrain from saying England for this one under fear of creating an international incident), the Forth Straight bridges in Scotland are possibly the largest and most dramatic set of bridges in the world.

https://www.scottishtours.co.uk/scot...-bridges-tour/

Three bridges, one rail and two road, were constructed in 1882, 1964, and 2017.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation