HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn8332 View Post

For some perverse reason, my image posts to NLA have been unsuccessful of late. But the link will take you to the Flicker hosted photo. Is anyone else having problems with Flicker hosted photos?
It looks like you just posted a link to the Flickr page where you wanted the photo to appear. In Flickr, you need to click the "Share Photo" arrow (between the "Fave this photo" and "Download this photo" icons), select "BBCode" and the size you want, and then copy and paste the link code. PM me if you need more help.

Here's the photo with "the back of the star barely visible at the 11 o'clock position.":

67738165_2517283721682153_287364983191240704_n by Glen Norman, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The following two [original] photographs are new to NLA. (I checked)

The first one is of the William C. Carr real estate office in the Ridgewood development. Photographer stamp on back: H.A. Varble, Eagle Rock.

eBay

Fantastic photograph!

The second photo is shot of one of the houses; note the lower floor. Photographer stamp on back: H.A. Varble, Eagle Rock.

eBay

You know me, folks. I can't resist a good close-up.

DETAL

I was hoping to see Mr. Carr inside.

I've gone through all the posts where 'Ridgewood' is mentioned...most are about the search for the location of the Ridgewood Military Academy.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...od#post7344028.....NoirCityDame

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...od#post7344822.....Martin Pal

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...od#post7345813.....HossC

E.R - I looked through Eagle Rock and couldn't find the house.

Then i took a close-up of your close-up and noticed that the Ridgewood development was in Pasadena,

I did find a Ridgewood Lane, but no house.

Could that be Brookside Park in the background behind the house?

I'm pretty sure there are some Pasadena experts around here.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
If one wanted perfect detail in these scenes you'd have to alter or remove all these trees, too.

Screencaps: (LINK)

QT is such a stickler for detail, but failed to change the LED traffic light.

That green light is not incandescent.

I will not see this movie as a result.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like you just posted a link to the Flickr page where you wanted the photo to appear. In Flickr, you need to click the "Share Photo" arrow (between the "Fave this photo" and "Download this photo" icons), select "BBCode" and the size you want, and then copy and paste the link code. PM me if you need more help.

Here's the photo with "the back of the star barely visible at the 11 o'clock position.":

67738165_2517283721682153_287364983191240704_n by Glen Norman, on Flickr

Thanks! I didn't have to do that previously; it looks like something in Flicker has changed of late. Much appreciated, Hoss C.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
i took a close-up of your close-up and noticed that the Ridgewood development was in Pasadena,

.................................................................................Ah-Ha! Excellent eye FredH!

...........................................................................I missed the Pasadena clue, completely.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:48 AM

Keuffel & Esser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

Nope, it's the logo for the Keuffel & Esser Co., maker of slide rules and other science and engineering related instruments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keuffel_and_Esser

Per the 1968 City Directory, their L.A. office was at 1327 S. Olive St., one door north of LAFD Engine Company No. 10 which remains today.
I have a Keuffel & Esser measuring tape, handed down from my father, that I cherish, and a K+E Log Log slide rule that I barely learned to use just before electronic calculators rendered it obsolete.

K+E products had a wonderful air of class to them.

The company had offices in Pasadena at Union and De Lacey that are now occupied by a Forever 21 store.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:55 AM

THEY'RE BACK!

Guess what folks...Chloe and Cleo have shown up on eBay again!

eBay.

Whaddya think, is that them? ...It sure looks like them to me.

This post has everything....Chloe & Cleo.. and.. it's a mystery location!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 5, 2019 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:35 AM

Well that's a fire station in the background with its hose-drying tower, but beyond that I am no help.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:27 AM

With ProphetM's clue, I think we're looking at Engine Company No 10 at South Hill Street near Sixteenth Street. That would make the large builing behind it in e_r's picture the Sixteenth Street School at 220 W 16th. This photo is dated 1899.

www.lafire.com

This 1914 photo shows the back of the advertising boards. The Portola Cafe, advertised in the original picture, is listed at 110 S Spring Street in the CDs of 1915, 1916 and 1917.

www.lafire.com

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
E.R - I looked through Eagle Rock and couldn't find the house.

Then i took a close-up of your close-up and noticed that the Ridgewood development was in Pasadena,

I did find a Ridgewood Lane, but no house.

Could that be Brookside Park in the background behind the house?

I'm pretty sure there are some Pasadena experts around here.

1501 Poppy Peak Drive, Pasadena, CA 91105

William C Carr was a realtor in Pasadena and champion of the Japanese American Community after WWII

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
QT is such a stickler for detail, but failed to change the LED traffic light.
That green light is not incandescent.
I will not see this movie as a result.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:28 PM

I searched, but don't think this image of the Hollywood Palladium under construction in 1940 has been posted on NLA previously.

"New Million Dollar Palladium Ballroom Cafe"

L.A. Times

Click photo for larger size.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post

William C Carr was a realtor in Pasadena and champion of the Japanese American Community after WWII

Nice find! The house still looks good too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:45 PM

I thought that this underpass picture looked familiar, but I can't see any previous postings. Maybe it just looks like other underpasses built around the same time. The crossing was previously at grade.

Photograph article dated September 7, 1948 partially reads, "State engineers working on the Valley's $2,000,000 continuation of the Hollywood freeway turned to paving work today after opening the Lankershim boulevard underpass in time for Labor Day traffic....Opening of the underpass marks the first time automobiles have passed over a part of the Hollywood freeway extension which will eventually provide a highspeed route from Cahuenga pass to Valley points. Pacific Electric trains have been crossing over the grade separation bridge for weeks, while workmen paved lanes of Lankershim boulevard into Cahuenga boulevard. Eventually the freeway traffic heading to and from the Valley will pass over the heads of motorist on Lankershim boulevard on divided lanes bordering the P. E. tracks."

LAPL

The original design was still in place until at least 2011...

GSV

...but 2014 saw the parapet being rebuilt.

GSV

By the end of 2014 we were left with the current, filled-in design.

GSV

I originally assumed that the parapet had just been made blander for no reason, but then I saw that the wall on the northern side was being held together with sections of barrier for years before the works in 2014 (see below - by 2014, the lane was even closed off with K-rail). With that said, I still wish they'd repaired the damage with the original design (or at least retained elements of it).

GSV

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:

The following two [original] photographs are new to NLA. (I checked)

The first one is of the William C. Carr real estate office in the Ridgewood development. Photographer stamp on back: H.A. Varble, Eagle Rock.

eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post

Well done for finding the house, UphillDonkey. I thought I'd looked all the way along Poppy Peak Drive, but must've missed that branch.

I think that the back of 1501 is the house on the left in the other photo, which was taken from the corner of La Loma Road. The other two houses on the hill also appear to still be standing, but the trees make it difficult to compare.

Google Maps

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:29 AM

Quote:
What is this sign with a K and E.... It appears to be attached to the fire station.

DETAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Nope, it's the logo for the Keuffel & Esser Co., maker of slide rules and other science and engineering related instruments.[/URL]

Per the 1968 City Directory, their L.A. office was at 1327 S. Olive St., one door north of LAFD Engine Company No. 10 which remains today.
Thanks for solving the sign mystery, HenryHuntington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
I have a Keuffel & Esser measuring tape, handed down from my father, that I cherish, and a K+E Log Log slide rule that I barely learned to use just before electronic calculators rendered it obsolete.

K+E products had a wonderful air of class to them.
Otis, you piqued my curiousity so I googled Keuffel & Esser items.

This cast iron pencil sharpener isn't the most impressive Keuffel & Esser item but it certainly brought back memories of drafting class.

..........If I remember correctly, you stuck your pencil in the hole and moved the top part in circles. (I believe there was sandpaper inside

etsy

It was made of cast iron so it wouldn't fly off the table.

Does anyone else remember using one of these things to sharpen a pencil?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 6, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, you stuck your pencil in the hole and moved the top part in circles. (there was sandpaper inside

etsy

I used similar sharpeners in my 7th grade drafting class, but those looked more like this:

Mine didn't use sandpaper, there was a bit of angled razor blade in mine.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I thought that this underpass picture looked familiar, but I can't see any previous postings. Maybe it just looks like other underpasses built around the same time. The crossing was previously at grade.

Photograph article dated September 7, 1948 partially reads, "State engineers working on the Valley's $2,000,000 continuation of the Hollywood freeway turned to paving work today after opening the Lankershim boulevard underpass in time for Labor Day traffic....Opening of the underpass marks the first time automobiles have passed over a part of the Hollywood freeway extension which will eventually provide a highspeed route from Cahuenga pass to Valley points. Pacific Electric trains have been crossing over the grade separation bridge for weeks, while workmen paved lanes of Lankershim boulevard into Cahuenga boulevard. Eventually the freeway traffic heading to and from the Valley will pass over the heads of motorist on Lankershim boulevard on divided lanes bordering the P. E. tracks."

LAPL

Here's the view looking in the opposite direction...

Looking south on Lankershim Boulevard, 1949

Looking south down Lankershim Boulevard towards the Lankershim Bridge and Tunnel, just north of where Cahuenga and Ventura Boulevards meet. Some homes are seen above a Foster and Kleiser billboard advertising the 1949 Ford automobile (left of center), and a few storefronts are present along Lankershim (right). Photograph dated June 23, 1949.

LAPL

And just for fun, another shot of the same intersection (before the overpass)...

Eddie Albert at the intersection of Cahuenga and Lankershim Boulevards, 1946

A shirtless Eddie Albert out for a spin on his (or more likely a studio owned) bike at the intersection of Lankershim Boulevard and Cahuenga/Ventura Boulevard. During WWII, at Tarawa, as a Bosun's Mate piloting a landing craft, he repeatedly took his boat back into the shoals, into the continuing gunfire, to retrieve Marines in the chest deep water. Some reports credit him with saving perhaps as many as fifty men. For all his good-natured screen persona, in real life a stud.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for solving the sign mystery, HenryHuntington.

Otis, you piqued my curiousity so I googled Keuffel & Esser items.

This cast iron pencil sharpener isn't the most impressive Keuffel & Esser item but it certainly brought back memories!

..........If I remember correctly, you stuck your pencil in the hole and moved the top part in circles. (there was sandpaper inside

etsy

I used to use one of those in school.....but never owned one. I preferred the sandpaper pads on a wood stick. Yes, they were heavy cast iron. Nothing wrong with them....they still work fine.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:50 PM

I happened upon this fascinating rppc last night on eBay

eBay

Does anyone know what set this event in motion? ...

Unless I'm mistaken, Nazi Germany didn't invade Poland until September 1, 1939. (a month and a half later)

sidenote:

Whoever designed the lighting was no doubt aware of the rallies at Nuremberg. I wonder if this was meant as a poke in the eye.

Oh, and one more thing:
The Nazi sympathizers in Rustic Canyon (Murphy Ranch) would have been close enough to see the searchlights from their redoubt.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos