HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalkan View Post
Sorry. I didn't really understand. When I drove a cab traffic to and from that HEB (with the exception of one blind gentleman from the east side who was a regular customer) mostly involved neighborhoods farther west and south -- a lot of it was UT students. It was a few years ago, so perhaps that's changed (or perhaps my memory is faulty).

There is the HEB at Burnet and Koenig and the HEB Central Market around 40th and North Lamar, but considering how many of them there are in other parts of town it does seem odd that there aren't more of them centrally located. Their brand is so strong in central Texas that one would think they would have to do little more than show up.
This map illustrates the point better than I was able to describe it--and at least for me, it shows Mueller only as a dot, so it underemphasizes the density of the east-central cluster of stores. Even considering the Burnet store, there's a pretty big west-central hole. (To my mind, CM doesn't serve as an everyday store, so is properly excluded here.)

Compare Randalls, which is quite obviously oriented towards the affluent west side.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:13 AM

Waller center would be a perfect for for an urban grocer on the ground floor or maybe a 2-3 story one but if not there than demo that ugly IHOP. Saltillo is a good option especially of our cut and cap dreams come to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:14 AM
Everywhere all at once

Anyone consider that if Royal Blue has continued success that they might attempt a larger-format concept in one of these new developments? I think it's plausible...though I think that first they should experiment with expanding to nearby neighborhoods outside the immediate downtown area. A Royal Blue, say, in the South Shore District or up by the Drag would be badass.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Anyone consider that if Royal Blue has continued success that they might attempt a larger-format concept in one of these new developments? I think it's plausible...though I think that first they should experiment with expanding to nearby neighborhoods outside the immediate downtown area. A Royal Blue, say, in the South Shore District or up by the Drag would be badass.
My thoughts exactly! They could totally do it!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxdweller View Post

Compare Randalls, which is quite obviously oriented towards the affluent west side.
Except the one Randalls store here on the southside by Manchaca and 290/71. It's the closest store to my location, then the Central Market which is a few blocks west would be second closest. There really aren't any regular H-E-B's close enough to me to make it worth while to travel to.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:43 PM
Meh

^I've noticed that. There are a lot of neighborhoods in South Central Austin that aren't served very well by a grocery store. There's really only those stores you mentioned and the HEB at Congress & Oltorf. We have three HEB's that are reasonably close to us, one that is just a mile or so away, plus a Fiesta and a Newflower. There was even an Albertsons pretty close, too, before they left Texas. Three of those are/were even close enough to ride my bike to. We used to have a Skaggs-Alpha-Beta, which later became Appletree and then Albertsons. It was just a thousand feet away. They later closed that store and moved down the street to where the Fiesta is now. The old Skaggs/Albertsons was then demolished, and it's now the site of ACC's South Austin Campus. It's only a 5 minute bike ride away, so it kind of sucks we lost that store.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 4:04 AM

Block 1 is now rising above the fence.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:20 PM

From this morning - Green and Seaholm are starting to takeoff:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 28, 2014 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:52 AM
Meh

Temporary earth retention system plans for Block 23 Office.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...stem_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 10:22 AM
Everywhere all at once

I have a strong feeling that the Greenwater developers will speed up their timeline for completing the full 4-tower project as momentum in Austin continues. I mean giving 2020 as the year for the entire project to be done seems rather long off, especially with how quickly the first tower has shot out of the ground. I expect that once early reservations for the first tower's units come flooding in, once Colorado Tower fills up and once the current hotel projects wrap up (as other hospitality companies continue sniffing around for space), Greenwater will become the next hotspot for companies and residents looking to lease. The first tower's speedy progress demonstrates, if nothing else, that the developers know how to get a project moving.

...and remember, Hudson Yards in NY (a much larger project by almost every measure) is supposed to be wrapped by 2018

Me personally, I just look forward to the day when I can walk a gorgeous urban Second Street all the way from the Marriott to Lamar. It'll just be fantastic

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I have a strong feeling that the Greenwater developers will speed up their timeline for completing the full 4-tower project as momentum in Austin continues. I mean giving 2020 as the year for the entire project to be done seems rather long off, especially with how quickly the first tower has shot out of the ground. I expect that once early reservations for the first tower's units come flooding in, once Colorado Tower fills up and once the current hotel projects wrap up (as other hospitality companies continue sniffing around for space), Greenwater will become the next hotspot for companies and residents looking to lease. The first tower's speedy progress demonstrates, if nothing else, that the developers know how to get a project moving.

...and remember, Hudson Yards in NY (a much larger project by almost every measure) is supposed to be wrapped by 2018

Me personally, I just look forward to the day when I can walk a gorgeous urban Second Street all the way from the Marriott to Lamar. It'll just be fantastic
I believe you are right. I don't think it's far fetched to say Block 23 will break ground early next year.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I believe you are right. I don't think it's far fetched to say Block 23 will break ground early next year.
I recall reading somewhere (I don't remember where exactly) that the plan was to break ground by the end of 2014.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 1:29 PM

It won't be too long before Green #1 and Seaholm are noticeable in the skyline:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:10 PM

Incredible how fast Green is moving! I wonder if they'll be announcing anchor tenants for retail soon...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 9:54 PM

According to the timeline Seaholm seems to be a bit behind schedule, but you won't hear me complaining because it really is going quickly. GWTP is moving really fast, I'm surprised, although these might seem like they're going faster than they are, compared to the veritable glacial pace of the library

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
According to the timeline Seaholm seems to be a bit behind schedule, but you won't hear me complaining because it really is going quickly. GWTP is moving really fast, I'm surprised, although these might seem like they're going faster than they are, compared to the veritable glacial pace of the library
But those two guys working on the library are really busting their butts...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 11:41 PM
Meh

Greg mentioned the library will be open by the summer of 2016. Of course part of that time includes the process of moving the entire contents of a major city's main library to another location 10 blocks away.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Greg mentioned the library will be open by the summer of 2016. Of course part of that time includes the process of moving the entire contents of a major city's main library to another location 10 blocks away.
Oh yeah I mean, that seems reasonable. Frankly I just can't resist taking a jab at the library for taking what seems like an eternity to build

Like not in a "wow I oppose this" way but in an "I want it to be built finished and open now" way

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
But those two guys working on the library are really busting their butts...
now that's funny

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:33 PM

Update on Block 23, the Green Water Office Building. In a commercial real estate newsletter that gets emailed around to the real estate brokers, they mention that Block 23 will be breaking ground soon.

Quote:
The newest is the Green Water project (developed by Trammell Crow Co and Principal Financial Group). The 500k SF trophy office building should break ground shortly and will be completed by the end of 2016. Troy says it will be an ideally located — across almost two acres near San Antonio and Cesar Chavez streets — one-of-a-kind office building unlike anything Austin has ever seen.
The rest of the newsletter is boring broker rah-rah, but here's the link: http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...th-troy-holme/

Edited to add: A link to CBRE's marketing flyer for Block 23 is here: http://looplink.natl.cbre.com/xNet/L...494141&LL=true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin