HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:25 AM

Herd about this group on the news. Lots of pictures I have never seen. Does not require a Facebook account to access.

https://www.facebook.com/VintageRegina

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
Good call...Shnitzel house when it first opened...then it was the Venue...then Channel One...then The State...now The Distrikt.
That's gotta be a record for one spot in Regina.
Wasn't it also Club Soda at one time? And the Venue also went by "Joe's Garage" for all-ages nights. Speaking of, the spot later used by Channel One on Broad was first a teen club called Flipside. Pretty sure that building was leveled before the one was built that would house Boston Billiards and Channel One. Across the street to the south of that used to be the Firestone building, and a half-block in just north of the S. Railway bridge was good old Beaver Lumber.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
What happened to those cornices? It's a subtle change, but a sad change!
That whole W&D building got a new facade, IIRC in the late 80's or early 90's. I can't remember for sure whether that's also when it lost Canada Book at the south end, and by that time Sam's was already a memory - around where the tower is now. It created an interior ground-level walkway but those corner accents disappeared.

Just found mention of the Popcorn Shack (page 7 or 8) that was first on Broad up from the Fun House, and later across from the Capitol, I can hardly remember that place without a line-up, best corn in town. That guy's retirement was a sad day.

Cheers,
-Eli.

Last edited by ERobillard; Jan 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Correction

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 9:42 AM

Can't belive I just found this thread. What I remember about Regina. I grew up in Hillsdale and I was remember the Tennis dome next to the little IGA/Sobey's at the Lakeshore mall. I belive the club was called the Parkview club. The dome collapsed I belive and the club stayed open for a few more years. Remeber going swiming there on last day of school in 1991.

I can remeber a time before Winston's/PJ Melons/ Dizzy Monk was on Kramer. Just a big parking lot. Does anyone Remeber it as PJ's Party House? It was for about a year after PJ Melons and Before the Dizzy Monk. Saw a few punk shows in there.

Growing up in Hillsdale I used to ride my bike nea the UofR a lot in the summer. I still remember it before the Language istitute and the Riddel Center.

I maybe alone but I miss Bi-Rite drugs and Vieo City on South Albert.

Now I vaguly remember a mall downtown in Regina it was before the Galleria maybe Mid-Town I think it was multi leveled. Anyway?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 9:53 AM

One more thing does anyone remeber a skate shop on Grant Road in the mall with Tumblers called "Hit the Deck" I seem to remeber that in the 80s.

Anyone remember Club Censored in the Vagabond?/Travel lodge? It was where Johnny Fox's is/was.

In the mall where Sparky's in on Gordon Road. I remeber it as the Brown Durby then it was an Italian Place what was the name? Remeber eating there in 95ish.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumuser View Post
yeah, the factory had a dozen names. rock city being one. it became channel one for awhile then it was a under 18 club which i cant remember the name. lauderdales eventually turned into the metro.

delberts, haha..
Relise this is old but. The all ages place was called Club NRG. My friend met his wife there. They are still toghther.

I think it's last incarnation before demolition was Chasers.

My Dad had a business near by. I belive the names where in order as follows:

Rock City
Channel One
The Factory
Club NRG
Chasers

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRR View Post
One more thing does anyone remeber a skate shop on Grant Road in the mall with Tumblers called "Hit the Deck" I seem to remeber that in the 80s.

Anyone remember Club Censored in the Vagabond?/Travel lodge? It was where Johnny Fox's is/was.

In the mall where Sparky's in on Gordon Road. I remeber it as the Brown Durby then it was an Italian Place what was the name? Remeber eating there in 95ish.
The Brown Derby [Remember: "Honey, kids, let's go to the Brown Derby!!!" ] originally opened as the Mediterranean Dining Room around the fall of '77.

Johnny Fox's was the Unwinder during the mid '80s.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Can't belive I just found this thread. What I remember about Regina. I grew up in Hillsdale and I was remember the Tennis dome next to the little IGA/Sobey's at the Lakeshore mall. I belive the club was called the Parkview club. The dome collapsed I belive and the club stayed open for a few more years. Remeber going swiming there on last day of school in 1991.

I can remeber a time before Winston's/PJ Melons/ Dizzy Monk was on Kramer. Just a big parking lot. Does anyone Remeber it as PJ's Party House? It was for about a year after PJ Melons and Before the Dizzy Monk. Saw a few punk shows in there.

Growing up in Hillsdale I used to ride my bike nea the UofR a lot in the summer. I still remember it before the Language istitute and the Riddel Center.

I maybe alone but I miss Bi-Rite drugs and Vieo City on South Albert.

Now I vaguly remember a mall downtown in Regina it was before the Galleria maybe Mid-Town I think it was multi leveled. Anyway?
The Galleria was formerly known as the Midtown Centre. I remember it was quite dark and it also had a huge rounded brown-coloured, bowl-shaped fountain which a thin film of water would flow evenly over the entire surface of the "bowl-like" structure. Do [all of] you remember that?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Relise this is old but. The all ages place was called Club NRG. My friend met his wife there. They are still toghther.

I think it's last incarnation before demolition was Chasers.

My Dad had a business near by. I belive the names where in order as follows:

Rock City
Channel One
The Factory
Club NRG
Chasers
Well, I recall that an old high school classmate opened up an 18-and-under nightclub entitled: "Changes." That was back during the fall of '86. Does that ring a bell?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The Brown Derby [Remember: "Honey, kids, let's go to the Brown Derby!!!" ] originally opened as the Mediterranean Dining Room around the fall of '77.

It was the Blarney Stone in the 90s. I used to love going there to drink the "Yards" of beer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
It was the Blarney Stone in the 90s. I used to love going there to drink the "Yards" of beer.
Yes, that's right! I never did it, but one needed to be MOST steady while drinking a yard of beer!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
The Galleria was formerly known as the Midtown Centre. I remember it was quite dark and it also had a huge rounded brown-coloured, bowl-shaped fountain which a thin film of water would flow evenly over the entire surface of the "bowl-like" structure. Do [all of] you remember that?
All I can rememberof the Midtown was the grocery store in the basement (Dominion?) and a restaurant in the later years called Mother something that had great french onion soup. It was a local chain I believe. I remember it was one ugly place.

Peter Pocklington, they owner of the Oiler's who brought Gretzky to Edmonotn once owned the Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
All I can rememberof the Midtown was the grocery store in the basement (Dominion?) and a restaurant in the later years called Mother something that had great french onion soup. It was a local chain I believe. I remember it was one ugly place.

Peter Pocklington, they owner of the Oiler's who brought Gretzky to Edmonotn once owned the Midtown.
Yes, it was a Dominion Store on the lower level. The restaurant you are thinking of was Grandma Lee's. When the mall first opened in either 1966 or 1967, I recall there was a great Polynesian restaurant on the lower level which I believe was called the Beachcomber. I recall going in their once with my parents and its decor and menu was petty unique. You entered from the mall over a small bridge over a little brook. It was very near the water feature that SkydivePilot mentioned a few posts ago (which was made of exposed aggregate concrete) and its shape was more akin to that of a curling rock. I loved that and hoped it would remain in the Galleria but alas, it did not. The Midtown Centre wasn't huge and didn't have that many stores. I remember there was a White Cross drug store which had an outside entrance direct to 11th Avenue as well as a mall entrance. There was a Coles book store, which also had its own outside entrance. There were two financial institutions, one of which, ScotiaBank, is still there. There also was a stereo shop on the main floor at the Rose Street entrance but the stores for the most part were forgettable, at least to a young kid. Remember, this was 10+ years before planning for the Cornwall Centre even started. This was Regina's second enclosed mall (after Northgate Mall).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Loved the Brown Derby commercial. My brother always wanted to go there.

Was too young to remember the Mediteranian Place. The Italian Place was after Brown Derby and Before Sparky's the name escapes me. But I ate there when I was a teen and a buddy washed dishes there in HS.

Did I dream this Club Censored Place in the Vagabond/Travel Lodge? I used to get my hair cut at Ultra Cuts in the mall next door (quit going when the stylist cut my neck around 89 or,so somewhere between 87-89 it was "Club Censored" . I still remember the stylist all hot to trot to hit Club Censored after work. There was a huge sign in that alley between the mall and hotel with an arrow.

Last edited by BRR; Mar 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I recall that an old high school classmate opened up an 18-and-under nightclub entitled: "Changes." That was back during the fall of '86. Does that ring a bell?
I have to e-mail my Dad. As it was around 87-88 that it was Rock City. See if my Dad remembers "Changes"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:28 PM

-Hawaiian Pizza in the bowling alley on North Albert my dad knew the owner and man was the pie good. I called him Pizza George think he had a few other restaurants. In fact I think he had one in the Old Georgia hotel.

The Fun House on Broad last time I can remember being in there was 1992 ish. It was shut down for many years but still had inventory for years afterwards.

There was a little store downtown I want to say in the Galleria but only accessible from the outside. sold metal t-shirts and pipes and what not J & J’s I want to say. Very similar to Charisma on Scarth, but a much smaller store.

Directly across the street from Leboldus there were some people that ran a video store out of their garage and a beauty salon in their living room. The ultimate home based businesses. They were shut down for piracy if memory serves.

Across the street from the old Plains Hotel I seem to remember there was a grocery store where the Credit Union building now is. There was a restaurant and a gas station also. Do I have that right?

Cinnamon Spider Condom shop?

Was the name of the Greek Restaurant next to the Free House the Embassy or something it was a Vietnamese place the last time I was in town.

There was a school in Lake View near St Pius. Was demolished in early 80s now houses. Can anyone remember it’s name?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Directly across the street from Leboldus there were some people that ran a video store out of their garage and a beauty salon in their living room. The ultimate home based businesses. They were shut down for piracy if memory serves.
Hah, yes, my parents rented VHS tapes from these guys. They were far cheaper than Acme Video, and now we know why. I vaguely remember walking around in their basement as a kid picking out which movie I wanted to watch.

Going way back, does anyone remember when the Municipal Hail Building across from Atlantis/Flip was a car stereo shop? The building was abandoned for years, then a stereo company came along and bought it and converted the old vault into a speaker demo room (the building was originally a bank, but that only lasted a few years before becoming the crop insurance building). Then they went out of business and now it's Regina Florists.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Hah, yes, my parents rented VHS tapes from these guys. They were far cheaper than Acme Video, and now we know why. I vaguely remember walking around in their basement as a kid picking out which movie I wanted to watch.
So they were cheaper, must have been why my dad wanted to go there. I seem to remember the news report and from what I can recall they had fairly expensive pirating equipment.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
-Hawaiian Pizza in the bowling alley on North Albert my dad knew the owner and man was the pie good. I called him Pizza George think he had a few other restaurants. In fact I think he had one in the Old Georgia hotel.

The Fun House on Broad last time I can remember being in there was 1992 ish. It was shut down for many years but still had inventory for years afterwards.

There was a little store downtown I want to say in the Galleria but only accessible from the outside. sold metal t-shirts and pipes and what not J & J’s I want to say. Very similar to Charisma on Scarth, but a much smaller store.

Across the street from the old Plains Hotel I seem to remember there was a grocery store where the Credit Union building now is. There was a restaurant and a gas station also. Do I have that right?

Cinnamon Spider Condom shop?

Was the name of the Greek Restaurant next to the Free House the Embassy or something it was a Vietnamese place the last time I was in town.

There was a school in Lake View near St Pius. Was demolished in early 80s now houses. Can anyone remember it’s name?
You are correct about the grocery store where Sherwood Place now is. Directly across the street, [on 12th/Albert] is where RMP used to be located. I - think - RMP relocated to South albert in '79.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, it was a Dominion Store on the lower level. The restaurant you are thinking of was Grandma Lee's. When the mall first opened in either 1966 or 1967, I recall there was a great Polynesian restaurant on the lower level which I believe was called the Beachcomber. I recall going in their once with my parents and its decor and menu was petty unique. You entered from the mall over a small bridge over a little brook. It was very near the water feature that SkydivePilot mentioned a few posts ago (which was made of exposed aggregate concrete) and its shape was more akin to that of a curling rock. I loved that and hoped it would remain in the Galleria but alas, it did not. The Midtown Centre wasn't huge and didn't have that many stores. I remember there was a White Cross drug store which had an outside entrance direct to 11th Avenue as well as a mall entrance. There was a Coles book store, which also had its own outside entrance. There were two financial institutions, one of which, ScotiaBank, is still there. There also was a stereo shop on the main floor at the Rose Street entrance but the stores for the most part were forgettable, at least to a young kid. Remember, this was 10+ years before planning for the Cornwall Centre even started. This was Regina's second enclosed mall (after Northgate Mall).
"Curling rock" that's it - thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan