HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 8:46 PM

On another note...

Old CKCK-TV commercials, circa late 70s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyUvoV23PJA

From the same user: CKTV blooper reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WecX...eature=related

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
From the same user: CKTV blooper reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WecX...eature=related

"Tell us about the Exhibition grounds"

"Well yes, they have curling out there, the Pats play there obviously, they have bullshit sales..."

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
She was probably thinking of "One Froggy Evening."

Somewhere on tape I have video of the implosion. I believe that video also made it into the above mentioned CKCK promo.
Yes --- that's right!! The CKTV promo "Putting on the Hits" --- in fact --- started with the implosion of the old McCallum-Hill tower, and then led into the model of the twins on that turntable device.

You guys don't realize it yet, but it is a great video of Victoria Plaza [Harvards I/II].

I hope that someone out there has a video of this for I've tried finding it on YouTube.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes --- that's right!! The CKTV promo "Putting on the Hits" --- in fact --- started with the implosion of the old McCallum-Hill tower, and then led into the model of the twins on that turntable device.

You guys don't realize it yet, but it is a great video of Victoria Plaza [Harvards I/II].

I hope that someone out there has a video of this for I've tried finding it on YouTube.
I'd like to see it again too. But you can watch the Calgary version about halfway down this page.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 11:46 PM

i used to collect buttons as a kid i still have all of em and i dug these up - my sister used to live in regina in the late 70's early 80's i guess and she gave me these ones thought i'd share here

pic by me

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see it again too. But you can watch the Calgary version about halfway down this page.
Yes, that's it! The Calgary/CFCN's version was just like Regina's --- except Regina's, obviously, had Regina-related construction projects within the intro.

Now we're getting somewhere!!! Thanks birthgob for posting that!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 8:25 AM

Say, does anybody remember a Central Motel on Albert St. I think I remember it was in the vicinity of the original Burger Baron. We passed by it on several occasions when my dad took us kids for a cruise in the car before getting ice cream treats from Dairy Queen. I remember we (us kids) noticed it was a pretty divey place! And then it was demolished to make way for something. Sorry, that's all I remember!

Very retro ... um ... retrospect!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:53 PM

Memories of Regina

I was born and raised in Regina during the 60's. A few memories:
- The Milky Way on Vic had great shakes.
- Watching the Pats & Caps at Exhibition Stadium while old guys smoked cigars in the stands!
- Kyle Sporting Goods (only sports shop in town at the time)
- CKCK TV on Trans Canada was outside the city.
- Bands like: Witness Inc., 49th Parallel, A Group Called Mudd, Shatter Ring.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
- The Milky Way on Vic had great shakes.
It still does, although it's about $4 for a small shake now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 12:45 AM

I know the Milky Way LOOKS old, but exactly how long has it been around?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 5:02 AM

Quote:
I know the Milky Way LOOKS old, but exactly how long has it been around?
Since the 50s at least.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:06 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:32 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
FIRST SKYSCRAPER
In 1912-1913 the McCallum-Hill Building was built. It was the tallest building in the city (ten-storeys). The building was located downtown on Scarth Street and contained offices. On October 31, 1982 the building was demolished (in six seconds) and the twin towers were built (McCallum-Hill Towers).

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=116846&page=3 VIA Sask82.
What a damn shame that they had to tear down that gorgeous building!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:35 AM
ARTchitecture

Regina has really lost quite a few gems, but I am still amazed at the amazing historical architecture left in the city, like the Hotel Saskatchewan and that federal building. So nice.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 5:55 AM
BANNED

You know what I like about little Regina is the fact it has all these smaller heritage buildings unlike us in Winnipeg, Bigger doesn't always mean better. The people who created these buildings years ago actually were designers and you can see the pride in their work.

I wish I could dig up the one from the turn of the century though when your city was just a mass of tee pees, it is kinda funny as when you had that we had a real city. But again we are much older. Just weird how a Rail line really made the early west to what it is today. It is also to bad you guys ended up with two cities unlike us, otherwise you would have almost the same as us and probably a lot more competative with your neighbor Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 7:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You know what I like about little Regina is the fact it has all these smaller heritage buildings unlike us in Winnipeg, Bigger doesn't always mean better. The people who created these buildings years ago actually were designers and you can see the pride in their work.

I wish I could dig up the one from the turn of the century though when your city was just a mass of tee pees, it is kinda funny as when you had that we had a real city. But again we are much older. Just weird how a Rail line really made the early west to what it is today. It is also to bad you guys ended up with two cities unlike us, otherwise you would have almost the same as us and probably a lot more competative with your neighbor Calgary.
The recession is the reason we stopped growing. Saskatchewan was the 3 rd most populous province in the country when it hit, and after that we never really recovered. If it wouldn't have happened we probably would have retained more population and both Regina and Saskatoon would have been much larger today and possibly could have competed on a level basis with both Edmonton and Calgary. But it is what it is and there's no point dwelling on the past and what could have been.

It's also funny that when you were a tent city, cities in Europe had been building palaces, pursuing higher education and churning out priceless artwork for centuries. These places were real cities before Winnipeg was even a thought (I don't mean to start an argument, but that comment of yours came off a little condescending, although I do appreciate the compliment that is sort of in there). Comparing any place in Canada like that is pretty weak as you can point to other places in the world that developed permanent structures/settlements millennia before anything in Canada.

As for the thread topic, with the conversation about the original Leader Building, I have to say I'm quite pleased with how the restoration of the current Leader Building turned out (yes it's been complete for a while, but I thought it deserved a place in this thread).

Source: City of Regina website

Last edited by Nathan; Aug 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 6:55 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As for the thread topic, with the conversation about the original Leader Building, I have to say I'm quite pleased with how the restoration of the current Leader Building turned out (yes it's been complete for a while, but I thought it deserved a place in this thread).

Source: City of Regina website

Maybe the finest example of Chicago-esque architecture downtown! Is terracotta just too expensive to use in our day?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:21 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

I've put together a little section on Regina/Saskatchewan using old postcards

http://archiseek.com/buildings/canada-buildings/sk/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:00 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Maybe the finest example of Chicago-esque architecture downtown! Is terracotta just too expensive to use in our day?
The old Canada Life Building might give it a run for its money...

Source=Flickr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
I've put together a little section on Regina/Saskatchewan using old postcards

http://archiseek.com/buildings/canada-buildings/sk/
Wow great pics, thanks for posting! It is still a shame that the Regina City Hall building didn't survive long enough to remain to this day, that is a beauty of a building. I realize it had structural issues but that would have been one of the most scenic old buildings likely in the province if it still existed.

Our current city hall building is also a very nice structure with a great space in front, we've been lucky with nice city hall buildings over the years I guess!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan