HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:00 PM

Thx GW

I'm confused.

so were Townsend tokens considered valid currency nationwide? (or only at certain places)

I guess I need to read up on the Townsend Plan.

I'll add this.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/towns5.html

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Interesting to see the Townsend Pension Plan mentioned.

I couldn't locate any tokens but I found these poster-stamps.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/towns5.html

could this be currency (?)

You'd think thousands of trade tokens would be floating around online. -like on ebay.
I wonder why I wasn't able to find just one example

Earlier post on Dr. Francis Townsend (from Long Beach)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=35091
The Townsend Plan proposed that every person over 60 be paid $200 per month. The Old-Age Revolving Pension fund was to be supported by a 2% national sales tax.
( in 1930, $200 was a very comfortable retirement. $2,862 in 2017 dollars.)

There were three requirements for beneficiaries under the Plan:

they had to be retired;
they had to be "free from habitual criminality;"
they had to spend the money within 30 days (to stimulate the economy.)

He was on the right side of history but Social Security retirement plan turned out to be quite different than the Townsend Plan of the Depression Days.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 30, 2017 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:19 PM

Yes, we've seen this building before.....but the photograph is new to NLA.

Aspiring actresses loiter in front of the Max Reinhardt Workshop.

ebay

As a reminder...

the columned building in the photograph was originally a showroom for the Peerless Motor Company.

Hollywood Heritage.org

The former Peerless showroom when it was the lobby for KNX RADIO. -I believe wood paneling was added. (compare with the photo above)

KNX interior via Paradise Leased

Most everyone remembers this as the Old Spaghetti Factory.

You can revisit Godzilla's excellent post on 5939 Sunset here: Godzilla

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:39 PM

White Sox Park

Los Angeles actually had two White Sox Parks. You may wish to read this write-up on them by the LAPL's Glen Creason.

Here's an article about the opening of the first White Sox Park on East 4th Street:

April 24, 1920, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

The second White Sox Park -- initially called Pirrone Park -- opened on Saturday, October 25, 1924. Its location was just east
across Compton Avenue from Jefferson High School. The article below ran on Thursday, October 23 (At the time, what is now
41st Street was known as 38th Street). Please note that the park's inaugural game is to be played between a team of white
players and the "Eastern Colored Stars":

October 23, 1924, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

However, by the day of the game, there was no mention of the Eastern Colored Stars (also, Mary Pickford's name had
been used without her consent, according to her press agent Mark Larkin, and she did not attend):

October 25, 1924, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Two white teams played the inaugural game at Pirrone (aka White Sox) Park. What happened to the Eastern Colored Stars?
Did Mayor Cryer object to their appearance?:

October 26, 1924, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Here's an undated but pre-1933 earthquake view showing White Sox Park (aka Pirrone Park) above the lower right corner:

00026112 @ LAPL

This aerial is dated August 1, 1927. Wrigley Field is at lower left, with Jefferson High and White Sox Park at upper right:

Flight c-113_271 at UCSB

This photo of Satchel Paige at White Sox Park appeared in the November 12, 1933, Los Angeles Times. Look at the ad on
the outfield fence -- could that be Floyd Clymer's Clymer Motors?:

uclamss_1429_0029 @ Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

These next two photos of Satchel Paige were likely taken the same day and show the grandstand at White Sox Park:

uclamss_1429_0030 @ Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

uclamss_1429_0031 @ Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive. Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

Paige had come to LA to pitch. He won:

November 13, 1933, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Outside White Sox Park, c. 1939-40; there's lots to zoom in on at the link below:

487949 @ Huntington Digital Library

Future Dodgers Hall of Fame catcher Roy Campanella may have played in these games (he played for Baltimore from 1938-45):

ProQuest via LAPL

The second White Sox Park was torn down prior to the 1948 aerial at HistoricAerials.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 15, 2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add Roy Campanella note

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:32 AM

Very interesting post Flyingwedge.

Thanks for explaining the Townsend Pension Plan CBD. I really appreciate it.
___

While seeking more information on Townsend, I came across this depression era photograph taken on Nov. 22, 1932. (I believe it's new to NLA)

http://digitallibrary.californiahist...landora%3A1111

In this view we're looking north on St. Andrews Place from just south of West 62nd Street.

Here's the same view today.

gsv

It's good to see the building on the right has survived. In 1932 it housed the Langendorf United Bakeries.
___

update:

I didn't see the smallish garage sign until I adjusted the contrast & enlarged the pic. So it's a garage not the actual bakery.

I'm also curious about the fancy car on the left.

detail

It stands out in this industrial area. Does anyone recognize the make of the car?
__

update II:

I just found an aerial of this area posted by HossC back in July of 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a view from 1954, and it looks like there were two large, cylindrical structures on S St Andrews Place, just above W 60th Street.
Both are gone by 1972, although the outline of where the lower one once stood can still be made out.

Historic Aerials

& FW posted this exceptional view that shows the tank that appears in my depression pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/13073

I remembered there were two gasometers in this 1929 photo, looking east on Slauson from about Alsace Avenue. Historicaerials.com just now seems to be restarting all its servers, but before they went down the 1954 photo showed the gasometers were at 60th and St. Andrews, which is a little southwest of the Slauson/Western intersection. They were gone by 1972 but you can still see their outlines in the historicaerials.com photo from that year. In the photo below, the large rooftop sign just to the right of Slauson is for the West Coast Mesa Theater, which was at 5807 Crenshaw, just south of Slauson:

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 31, 2017 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:34 AM

I believe this sepia snapshot by Anton Wagner might be new to NLA as well.

Looking north on San Pedro Street from north of 1st Street. [February 22, 1933]

California Historical Society

I think it's new because I don't remember discussing this siren with the word 'THE' on top of it.

detail

_

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Wagner might be new to NLA as well.
I think it's new because I don't remember discussing this siren with the word 'THE' on top of it.

detail

_
hmmm ER, I don't think that's a siren......but what could it be? I think that sirens were attached to city utility poles.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 31, 2017 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:14 AM

Looks to me like a wagon wheel hub with most of the spokes removed.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:47 PM

I'd say you've got it, Hoss... this building was the Hub lodging house, according to a mention in an article in the Herald on December 28, 1897 (here).

Wilmington Street became N San Pedro Street when a new cut was made from 2nd north to 1st Street, apparently between '10 and '14 Baists; the former block of San Pedro between 2nd and 1st became Wilmington, which within the next 6 or so years (per the '21 Baist) became Weller...which is now "Astronaut E S Onizuka Street."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I'd say you've got it, Hoss... this building was the Hub lodging house, according to a mention in an article in the Herald on December 28, 1897 (here).

Wilmington Street became N San Pedro Street when a new cut was made from 2nd north to 1st Street, apparently between '10 and '14 Baists; the former block of San Pedro between 2nd and 1st became Wilmington, which within the next 6 or so years (per the '21 Baist) became Weller...which is now "Astronaut E S Onizuka Street."

I see "Property of Don Manuel Requena" on the map. Anyone feel like some historical notes? No? Well, here they are anyway (from my collection of scraps):

Manuel Requena; ca. 1800-1803, born in Campeche, Yucatan, Mexico; ca. 1833, sent from Mexico City to Guaymas to become a customs official, but didn’t undertake the job through some objection to serving under the Commissioner-General Riesgo; Spring, 1834, entered California as a tradesman, sailing from Guaymas, co-owner of a brigantine, the Margarita, with one Richard York, intending to ship hides and tallow from California to Chile (seasickness made him give up the enterprise); December, 1834, July, 1835, godparent at Plaza church; March 7, 1835, part of the civilian force opposing the Apalategui insurgents; 1835, fiscal at the Apalátegui trial; 1836, present in L.A. as a businessman, married to Gertrudes Aleja Guirado; 1836, member of the tribunal de vagos; July 31?, 1836, in L.A. on the point of being arrested by Nicolas Gutierrez on the orders of Governor Chico when Gutierrez received word, via Osio, that Chico was out as governor and Gutierrez was in; 1836-1837, alcalde; 1836-1838, of the anti-Alvarado party, offending both sides with supposedly “double-edged” words and plotting effected through Gil Ybarra and the ayuntamiento, but much respected by Narciso Botello; ca. early February, 1837, humbly requesting Governor Alvarado not to require him (Requena) to accompany Alvarado northwards; Spring, 1838, “Requena decided to leave the country, since his life or his liberty might be in danger. He departed for the interior of Baja California, very far from the border, going to the ranch of a friend of his named Jose Espinosa” (quoth Narciso Botello); June, 1839, godparent at Plaza church; 1839-1841, member of the junta; June, 1840, found by Jose Arnaz to be intelligent, well-educated, and well-informed as to the laws; August, 1840, September, December, 1842, godparent at Plaza church; 1844, first alcalde; 1844, present in L.A. as a laborer and landowner; March, 1845, godparent at Plaza church; 1845, ministro of the suplente tribunal and suplente congressman; about the end of September, 1846, pleading “no money” in response to a request or demand that he loan Flores’ regime $500 (at length, “Antonio” Cota—a slip for “Leonardo,” I think—contributed the sum on Requena’s behalf); December, 1846, godparent at Plaza church; September, 1848, wedding witness in L.A.; November, 1848, godparent at Plaza church; 1850, present in L.A. with savings of $14,500; 1850s, had a vineyard between town and the river; 1852, supervisor; 1850-1867, frequent member of the City Council; 1854, his house was on the east side of Los Angeles St. [“and north of the street opened through his garden and named after him” Illustrated History of Los Angeles County, p. 368], a medium distance south of Bell’s Row; April 26, 1856, published (Los Angeles Star): unsuccessful candidate to be delegate “to a nominating convention”; September, 1856, to October, 1856, acting mayor (as city council president); October 11, 1856, published (Star): hosting at his home two performances by the magician Delfino, “The exhibition will take place in the house of Don Manuel Requena, on Los Angeles street, which is well adapted for the accommodation of ladies and families”; December 19, 1857, published (Star): on the Grand Jury; April 17, 1858, published (Star): on the Grand Jury; November 6, 1858, published (Star): on Grand Jury; March 5, 1859, published (Star): on the Grand Jury; March 3, 1860, published (Star): on Grand Jury; 1860, present in L.A. as a vintner with savings of $2,000 and real estate valued at $20,000; 1870, present in L.A. as retail merchant with savings of $3,000 and real estate valued at $20,000; June 27, 1876, died; a tale that a daughter married David W. Alexander floats about; a Mattias Requena seems to be his son. Through wife Guirado he was related in varying degrees of separation to Alexander Bell, the Sepulvedas, Narciso Botello (kind of), and Gov. Downey.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:16 PM

Clymer Motors

Comment on Flyingwedge's post on White Sox Park

This photo of Satchel Paige at White Sox Park appeared in the November 12, 1933, Los Angeles Times. Look at the ad on

Yes, it's the same Floyd Clymer. He sold Indian and I think a few other brands of motorcycles back then.

As a kid, I worked for Floyd Clymer on Saturdays and after school for spending money. My dad took me to see some antique car books at his store on Alvarado in 1960 when I was 12. Clymer saw me and said he had a kid about my age work there years ago and how would I like to make some spending money working Saturdays. It was OK with my dad, so I came in on Saturdays and helped with mailing and stocking shelves, etc. I ended up working there part time shipping books until I was drafted into the Army in 1968. By that time Clymer had moved (1961) to Virgil Avenue. Clymer passed away while I was stationed in Korea. When I was released from active duty in June, 1970, I went back to work shipping books. His widow, Meryle, took over the business and sold it to a fellow from New York later that year. I stayed on and worked for the new owner, moving on into working on book production (their line of auto and motorcycle repair manuals). Stayed there until the beginning of 1988 when the business was sold to Macmillan in Overland Park, Kansas.

Last edited by WS1911; Aug 31, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS1911 View Post

Yes, it's the same Floyd Clymer. He sold Indian and I think a few other brands of motorcycles back then.

As a kid, I worked for Floyd Clymer on Saturdays and after school for spending money. My dad took me to see some antique car books at his store on Alvarado in 1960 when I was 12. Clymer saw me and said he had a kid about my age work there years ago and how would I like to make some spending money working Saturdays. It was OK with my dad, so I came in on Saturdays and helped with mailing and stocking shelves, etc. I ended up working there part time shipping books until I was drafted into the Army in 1968. By that time Clymer had moved (1961) to Virgil Avenue. Clymer passed away while I was stationed in Korea. When I was released from active duty in June, 1970, I went back to work shipping books. His widow, Meryle, took over the business and sold it to a fellow from New York later that year. I stayed on and worked for the new owner, moving on into working on book production (their line of auto and motorcycle repair manuals). Stayed there until the beginning of 1988 when the business was sold to Macmillan in Overland Park, Kansas.

FW photo

The book is dedicated to his father, Dr. J. B. Clymer, "a small-town physician and surgeon, who never wavered in his belief
that the automobile was destined to change the transportation system of the world . . . To him I owe all of the credit for
whatever education and knowledge of early-day automobiles that I have acquired. He gave to me as a youngster the
priceless opportunity of learning the fundamentals of design and construction by actual experience, which could be had
only by ownership and association with the early-day automobiles . . . ."

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS1911 View Post
Comment on Flyingwedge's post on White Sox Park

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:41 AM

Has this been posted yet?
An Aeronaut's View of Los Angeles, 1887

KCET
In 1887, aeronauts gave the Los Angeles a new way of seeing itself. Floating 9,000 feet above in a hot-air balloon, photographer Edwin H. Husher tilted his camera over the basket’s edge and captured 13 photographic views of the City of Angels. ... Click link above to read more

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:29 AM

I believe we have seen it before westcork, but it's been many years ago.
It sure is great to see it again though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
hmmm ER, I don't think that's a siren......but what could it be? I think that sirens were attached to city utility poles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Looks to me like a wagon wheel hub with most of the spokes removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I'd say you've got it, Hoss... this building was the Hub lodging house.
Thanks for your help guys!
-and good sleuthing GW in finding out the name of the lodging house (which explains the use of a wheel)
but why the THE on top? I would have gone with HLH (Hub Lodging House).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is another depression era photograph by the same photographer. (I believe this is new to NLA)

"Looking west from San Pedro Street and 4th Street, on 4th Street."

California Historical Society

by Anton Wagner [February 13, 1933]

Just for fun, here's a closer look down the street.

detail

I had trouble reading the name of the engravers and electrotypers...

until I came across this name in the 1934 directory. It appears to match.

lapl

Bryan-Brandenberg Co.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:57 AM

This rare photograph shows a woman sitting in front of building in Agricultural Park (now Exposition Park)

ucla digital archives

I wonder why there is so much debris in the foreground? (I was going to say maybe they just finished construction) -but the building looks a bit worn to me.

Agricultural Park was established in 1872. -more details HERE

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:24 AM

One more pic for tonight then it's off to bed.

"Women attending a party at the County Club, Los Angeles"

ucla digital archives, donated by Jane Frederickson

There have been so many country clubs in the Los Angeles area I'm not sure which one this is exactly.
_______

update:

I just noticed a second description with a bit more information.

"A group of women dressed in the style of the early part of the century, enjoying a party at the Los Angeles Country Club.
At extreme left (*illegible) costume of the day. The "400" club at L.A. Country Club."

__

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 6:52 AM

Los Angeles Country Club

Quote:

There have been so many country clubs in the Los Angeles area I'm not sure which one this is exactly.
_______

update:

I just noticed a second description with a bit more information.

"A group of women dressed in the style of the early part of the century, enjoying a party at the Los Angeles Country Club.
At extreme left (*illegible) costume of the day. The "400" club at L.A. Country Club."

__
Here's an undated photo of the whole LACC clubhouse that we see part of in your pic, e_r:

UCLA/Islandora

Those two men are walking toward where all the women are standing in your photo, e_r, but there seems to be grass
right in front of the building in this photo, in which case it must have been taken after the photo with the women:

UCLA/Islandora

UCLA/Islandora

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 7:05 AM
BANNED

first and the original Hof's Hut was on the beach in Long Beach...1940. Hofman started out with a burger stand on the beach
in the 1940s at 5th Place in Long Beach serving "Hofburgers" for 15 cents.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4423/...890a36_o_d.jpg [all]

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 1, 2017 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:

From History of the Los Angeles Country Club 1898-1973

This is the "new" and current--and not much altered--clubhouse of the LACC. Judging by the Edwardian fashions and dirt, I'd say this is close to, perhaps even before, the club's opening day on May 30, 1911. Automobiles, if not so much the Model T in the case of club members, made practical the leap from the LACC's several older locations toward downtown to the other side of Beverly Hills.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Sep 1, 2017 at 12:22 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos