HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:58 PM

There are a number of reasons why I like The Woodlands. The development is regulated so you don't get power lines and advertising everywhere. Each neighborhood has its own shopping and eating area. Each neighborhood also has it's own park with trails connecting everything. I think the trees are great also. Once you cross the line between The Woodlands and the county it's no-holds- barred development. Some negatives are that it is snobby sometimes with all the wealth, and it is hot as hell in the summer. It is an attempt to create an urban core in the suburbs, so it is what it is. I prefer it to Harris county and the endless sprawl of Houston.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:19 PM
Red October standing by

nice tour. i took an alternate route back from houston last weekend and went through the woodlands...nice to see what that tall tower in the middle of nowhere was.

no pics of that faux-italian shopping center though? that thing was tackily awesome...it's like something i'd imagine out of the chicago world's fair.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:57 PM
Baltimore

The Woodlands is a wanna be nouveau riche town. You can buy a large home for less than 200k still. When I lived in Houston my friends and I would call it South Dallas or the Whitelands. It is a pretty town, but not for me.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:01 PM

You are correct. Each point of view is right on. I guess every place has the good-bad-and-ugly to it. I would prefer to go back to Minnesota, but since I am here this will do.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 5:11 PM
It's Daniel

very nice.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:06 PM

Interesting pictures. I remember my first trip up to The Woodlands in the late 1970s when my mom ran a half marathon there and we stayed at the Inn.

It has changed so much. I applaud the efforts at creating public spaces and venues as well as at least attempting to not clear cut.

That said, The Woodlands makes me sad. That area used to be an undisturbed forest and now it is shopping malls, McMansions, and more. It is also a MAJOR drain from the City of Houston.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50cal View Post
The Woodlands is a master planned community about 30 miles north of Houston in Montgomery county. It is the main growth area for the far North side of Houston. A lot of energy companies have buildings here. It is developing into the place to be for entertainment, shopping and business on the North side. It has a pavilion where the major concerts are held in the area. The area is heavily forested.
I need to get up and see this area next time I'm in Houston. From pictures I've seen and other descriptions (especially the trees), it sounds a bit like any number of places in Atlanta, only with a bit more concentrated commercial development. In fact, it sounds like a few master-planned communities I've been to in my home state of Alabama: Commercial development concentrations with tree-lined boulevards leading farther into a residential area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
If they were ever to build a commuter rail line from The Woodlands to downtown Houston (and then hopefully on to Galveston Island), The Woodlands would be an example of a great suburb. The Woodlands is a very nice area, but the drive into Houston sucks.
Well, at least you have the option of the Hardy Toll Road during peak hours, which is sort of like a congestion-charge alternative for 45 and 59, if you ask me.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 1:23 AM

As somebody who lives there as well, it isn't far from Houston at all. About 25 or 30 miles. For some odd reason, there are some on here who believe that if it isn't within biking distance of work, it's far. The Woodlands owes its existance to Houston. It is an upper income area with lots of amenities. Travel times to Downtown for me are about 30 minutes. It has won numerous awards for quality and layout. It is one of the most successful master-planned communities in the U.S. and one of, if not the most, thriving in Houston. It's population has exploded...sitting somewhere between 90-95k. Since the 2000 census, Montgomery County has nearly doubled it's population in 10 years to 420,000. Over a million are expected by 2025. Looking for a quality, safe, close by place to live? The Woodlands is your best choice. I can't say enough good things about it! It's great!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 1:33 AM

You are correct, I like the low crime, and affordable housing. The nightlife is getting better, and I think it is a good place for a family in the area.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 1:37 AM
Datyon, Forbes death city

Looks like a very well planned community to Live, work and play. Looks like they even planned lots of greenspace too. Really like the office buildings.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
The Woodlands is a wanna be nouveau riche town. You can buy a large home for less than 200k still. When I lived in Houston my friends and I would call it South Dallas or the Whitelands. It is a pretty town, but not for me.
1. South Dallas isn't predominately Caucasian, its mostly black.

2. The Woodlands has a size able Hispanic & Asian population for a suburb its size, it isn't all Caucasian like you make it out to be. The growing black population that is there is highly successful & intelligent, unlike you.

3. How would you feel if a Caucasian person called South Houston "the black lands"?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:56 PM

Looks nice...though I don't see any reason to build a new "city" 30 miles north of houston when there is plenty of room in Houston...doesn't even seem like its any cheaper. Why live in a fake city when you could move 30 miles and be in the real thing? Ah well, at least they are doing a pretty good job I guess.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:00 PM

I wish people on this board would get their facts straight...

The Woodlands isn't 30 miles from Houston, its about 30 miles from Downtown Houston. FM 1960, which most consider to be the beginning of Houston's city limits is probably less then 5 miles from The Woodlands, both cities have sprawled so much that you really don't know when you're in one & out of the other. Small town Spring is located between the two cities, but often gets lost in their shadows.

The Woodlands isn't what I would really call a "new city" either, it was established in 1974.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:23 PM
BANNED

god, houston people are always so funny. always SCRABBLING to defend their city and the area...

FOR ANYONE WHO CARES TO KNOW WHERE THE WOODLANDS IS

this is the city limits as of 2000; the woodlands is right on the border between MONTGOMERY and HARRIS counties along INTERSTATE 45:

here, the woodlands is at the very top of the picture:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
god, houston people are always so funny. always SCRABBLING to defend their city and the area...

FOR ANYONE WHO CARES TO KNOW WHERE THE WOODLANDS IS

this is the city limits as of 2000; the woodlands is right on the border between MONTGOMERY and HARRIS counties along INTERSTATE 45:

You come trolling in this Houston/Woodlands thread & all you can come up with is some lame comment & a VERY OUTDATED HPD patrol area map? LMAO

Way to go skipper!

Almost all of the areas you see in white have been urbanized or suburbanized for a better word.

Last edited by Metro Matt; Apr 30, 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:06 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

2. The Woodlands has a size able Hispanic & Asian population for a suburb its size, it isn't all Caucasian like you make it out to be. The growing black population that is there is highly successful & intelligent, unlike you.

3. How would you feel if a Caucasian person called South Houston "the black lands"?
Well said. You beat me to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

He probably said South Dallas because it is so far north. Just like people saying Katy might as well be San Antonio.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
He probably said South Dallas because it is so far north. Just like people saying Katy might as well be San Antonio.
Exactly.

People have been calling The Woodlands "South Dallas" for as long as I can remember. It has NOTHING to do with the demographic makeup of the southern part of Dallas and EVERYTHING to do with it's location far from CENTRAL HOUSTON (downtown, the med center, the galleria/uptown, the stadiums, the museum district, the universities, the zoo, the major parks, etc...)

I also have heard the term "The Whitelands" for as long as I can remember too. While it does have something to do with the racial makeup (The Woodlands and Montgomery County are far less diverse than Harris and Fort Bend Counties) it also has to deal with the blandness. Think: Wonder Bread, corporate, master planned, privately owned "public" spaces, etc...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:00 PM

The Woodlands looks pretty nice in these pictures. The riverwalk looks nice and inviting. Too many tall pine trees for my taste, though. I'd rather have a mix of coniferous and broadleaf trees, or almost all broadleaf trees, to provide some nice green "walls" around those parking lots and in the park areas.

I remember flying over The Woodlands when flying into Houston for a connecting flight. Other than the big Interstate and frontage roads or whatever they are called, which took up a lot of space, it looked nice.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:47 PM
Endless Moments...

The Woodlands is very nice. Its just very far removed from downtown Houston and the Galleria area. I am sorry but the Galleria area has much better shopping then the woodlands. As for the night life it all depends on what you are looking for. I like montrose and midtown but it is not for everyone. So I choose to live in the loop, and so i do...

Anyhow nice pics...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos