HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

All of that said, I'm not poo-pooing putting a baseball stadium downtown.

If we want to be a minor-league baseball town (nothing wrong with that), having a picturesque place for folks to watch a game and have a hot dog and beer that grows downtown nightlife and street activity is a fine idea.

Works in places like Charlotte and Toledo. I'd love to see it work here as well. Find a way to pay for it, stimulate the downtown economy, add some housing on the periphery, and call it the ballpark district.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

Wow, it definitely seems like some of the baseball talk got deleted. Maybe because they didn't agree with a certain someone...it's a shame that this tends to happen occasionally on this forum.

In any event, Mayor Taylor is also opposed to developing the baseball stadium at the mentioned Hemisfair site. I feel like this was expected based on all the public input that went into drafting plans for Hemisfair's redevelopment. I know that the Fox Tech field has been mentioned as a possible location but I wonder how this plays into SAISD looking to consolidate their offices in the same area. Even if they are two separate parcels it will be interesting to see what type of parking arrangements can be made...hopefully a new parking garage would be in the works too.

I'll say that I do prefer the Alamodome site due to costs and maybe the area can finally become some sort of entertainment complex. Though I'm not sure how that site fits in terms of the best way to position the ballpark to get views, anticipate wind patterns, etc.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:26 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
That is an excellent ratio.
For proving my point?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:29 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Wow, it definitely seems like some of the baseball talk got deleted. Maybe because they didn't agree with a certain someone...it's a shame that this tends to happen occasionally on this forum.
One post has been deleted in this thread. That occurred on April 2nd and had nothing to do with disagreeing with anyone.

That's all I'll say about the issue.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
For disproving my point?
Yes

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:05 PM

West side of DT to see developement?

This is a start, at least. And good riddance, (hopefully) to the old jail.

http://woai.iheart.com/articles/loca...ered-14567225/

One of the tracks includes one of the biggest eyesores in the entire downtown area--the eight story former Bexar County Jail, which for the past fifteen years has been a privately operated jail for parole violators. It is set to close next year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:27 PM
James

That building has been the eyesore I've always felt needed to go. The fact it fronts San Pedro Creek will definitely work towards its advantage as well.

This whole area is prime for an awesome neighborhood. They need a mini master plan, tbh. That way it wont just be thrown together.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:42 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
This is a start, at least. And good riddance, (hopefully) to the old jail.
Stop it. And it's not an eyesore, it just needs some love. Lots and lots and lots of love.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Stop it. And it's not an eyesore, it just needs some love. Lots and lots and lots of love.
Jailhouse micro-lofts? Just drywall the cells!

How many "residents" can they currently hold? They already have a basketball court on the roof. Add some astroturf for a "dog run" and a hot tub and you have a downtown hipster magnet!! Win win!!

(Mostly joking...or am I?)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:40 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Jailhouse micro-lofts? Just drywall the cells!

How many "residents" can they currently hold? They already have a basketball court on the roof. Add some astroturf for a "dog run" and a hot tub and you have a downtown hipster magnet!! Win win!!

(Mostly joking...or am I?)
I like the way you think! I imagine a jailhouse themed hotel, where the guests have to pay to leave. Or "resurrect" the Red Light District, with netherworld-class burlesque and hourly gunfights. Free STD testing for all military! Cuz "you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them..." I love our history!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:53 PM

Careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
I like the way you think! I imagine a jailhouse themed hotel, where the guests have to pay to leave. Or "resurrect" the Red Light District, with netherworld-class burlesque and hourly gunfights. Free STD testing for all military! Cuz "you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them..." I love our history!
It's happened before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holida...Riverwalk_Area

Though, that is a much better looking building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:26 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
It's happened before:
That misleadingly named hotel does not count! If they didn't question the choice in window decor, the guests would barely be aware that it used to be a jail. No, I'm talking 21 & over! (Fat chance, but whatever I can dream dammit)
Quote:
Though, that is a much better looking building.
Alfred Giles and the Ayres guys, of course it is... and I just bought a really awesome book on Giles at the book festival this weekend, and boy they sure don't make em like they used to.
Would be great if we can pick a lot somewhere downtown as a venue for resurrecting facades of lost gems, like the previous Federal courthouse in Alamo Plaza.

I see potential in that jail, and I'm sure others do as well. And I'm not talking polished turd potential, I'm talking Miss Congeniality! Smoking hot makeover but old school personality permeates.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:09 PM

Looks like the city is pretty serious about bringing a team here. Now as to whether it actually happens, who knows.

http://www.kens5.com/sports/group-wo...o-sa/121705531

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:28 PM

Speaking on the SPC area. I always thought it would be amazing to see the pedestrian caminos on market square be extended east towards the San Pedro Creek. With a tree canopy covering cafes, restaurants, shops on the street level.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:44 AM

Since were talking about the Jail, I broke out this picture.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:28 PM

Triple A baseball headed to SA

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillhippy210 View Post
Maybe...

Depends on whether the stadium is approved by voters. I really hope they don't pay for it with hotel taxes at a time when competition for conventions is growing. They should ask folks to show they really want it by paying for it.

75 million seems like a waste for this, and the idea that it would be built to be expandable to an accepted MLB stadium is probably not gong to happen. By the time it is built, the team moves and can establish itself is like 15 years away at best. Wouldn't it make better sense to just look for MLB (if the city thinks it can support the team)?

It would have made better sense to pursue an MLS stadium. The Toyota field is not an attractive location to MLS and will probably sway them away from choosing San Antonio as a city to expand to. It doesn't matter that it was built. It was privately funded and is in a terrible location.

Anyway, here we go again. The best case scenario is that SA will get AAA baseball downtown, and if everyone is happy with that then so be it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:07 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Maybe...

It would have made better sense to pursue an MLS stadium. The Toyota field is not an attractive location to MLS and will probably sway them away from choosing San Antonio as a city to expand to. It doesn't matter that it was built. It was privately funded and is in a terrible location.
Is there a reason MLS can't play at the Alamodome? They've hosted big soccer games before (Mexico City vs South Korea was last year at the dome, right?)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Is there a reason MLS can't play at the Alamodome? They've hosted big soccer games before (Mexico City vs South Korea was last year at the dome, right?)
Depends on the cost of games in the Alamodome. Average attendance at MLS games is about 21,000, with Seattle topping out at a little over 44,000, followed by a precipitous drop to second place at about 32,000. Not sure where San Antonio would fit, but 65,000, (or even 40,000), sounds optimistic.

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/mls-attendance-2015/

ETA: That being said, attendance for MLS matches is treding upward overall. Just don't think it would make sense to play at the Alamodome right now. If MLS takes it into accont for future consideration, then great.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 8:12 PM

I really like Alamo Stadium as a location for MLS. I believe that the Spurs had this vision a few years ago, and something with the school district and the track field around the football field was an issue or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio