HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:50 AM

I’ve always thought that Balcones Heights was missing a huge opportunity by not re-developing the mall into the downtown of the northwest side of San Antonio. I like the Pearl idea but think bigger. Mash that together with The Domain in Austin. A destination for fun, business and life in general. Make it a place that could really benefit Balcones Heights-ites. Balconesites? Balconians? Balcones Heights residents.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
I’ve always liked San Austonio.
I call it Austonio.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
I’ve always thought that Balcones Heights was missing a huge opportunity by not re-developing the mall into the downtown of the northwest side of San Antonio. I like the Pearl idea but think bigger. Mash that together with The Domain in Austin. A destination for fun, business and life in general. Make it a place that could really benefit Balcones Heights-ites. Balconesites? Balconians? Balcones Heights residents.
I completely agree. With its access to I-10/410, proximity to the Medical Center and Downtown...its a prime spot.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I completely agree. With its access to I-10/410, proximity to the Medical Center and Downtown...its a prime spot.
It's also on the best quality transit line in San Antonio that connects downtown with the Med Center. Would be great to see some Transit Oriented Development there that designs the development to take advantage of that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:30 PM

It's probably not feasible due to active leases and other obstacles, but it seems like it would be easier to just scrape the existing mall and build something new that would be more in keeping with trends like outdoor shopping centers ala the Domain in Austin and La Cantera. With covid, there's all the more reason to move away from the conventional single large indoor building format.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:04 PM

Wonderland IS a wonderland.

Wonderland is a historical gem and should not be razed (maybe cannot because of age?). The domain in Austin mostly sucks and is completely dominated by cars and idiot pedestrians--it's almost imposbbile to visit on weekends unless you live in it. SA/BH deserves better. Love the pearl idea as long as original structures/character remain. It's been one of my favorite places since I was an infant.

They would be smart in razing the target/big box stores and redeveloping around the original 60's/80's structures. Palm pavilion (water fountain) has massive potential for events outside of the Jazz Fest and could be transformed with the right landscape architect. I could also see the Santikos movie theatre getting another refresh (maybe Violet Crown or Alamo move-in) and making the 80's addition a full blown food hall around the obelisk.

As it stands, no, Wonderland is not largely packed with people....however, there is so so soooo much potential and I would be heartbroken to see it torn down for some bland Simon Mall community.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:48 PM

I wouldn't go that far to call Wonderland a historic gem just because it was built in 1961. It's essentially a mix of Rolling Oaks and Central Park (Park North)...or those malls took features from it since it was built first.

The land value is probably worth more than the structures. Yes, it has some nice features (like the palm pavilion) to it but those could be incorporated to any new development while razing other areas as you mentioned

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I wouldn't go that far to call Wonderland a historic gem just because it was built in 1961. It's essentially a mix of Rolling Oaks and Central Park (Park North)...or those malls took features from it since it was built first.

The land value is probably worth more than the structures. Yes, it has some nice features (like the palm pavilion) to it but those could be incorporated to any new development while razing other areas as you mentioned
Yes, it's valuable land....but someone would have to have a lot of $$$ and a pretty ambitious design to start from scratch, rather than utilize the current structures--which would be smarter.

If only there could be a mid-rise or two involved with a redevelopment....I could see something like Seaholm in Austin, which incorporated the old power plant + a residential tower/retail. I bet there are some STELLAR views of downtown and hill country from Wonderland. Such a great marketing brand too....

I thought I read it was designated historic? Yes, it's like Rolling Oaks (which I adore), but it also has an older feel that's really unique for those types of larger indoor structures in South/Central Texas.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
If only there could be a mid-rise or two involved with a redevelopment....I could see something like Seaholm in Austin, which incorporated the old power plant + a residential tower/retail. I bet there are some STELLAR views of downtown and hill country from Wonderland. Such a great marketing brand too....
I always like your posts ahealy! I agree. It seems like getting a better master plan that prioritizes pedestrian uses around a couple of new residential projects that include structured parking to replace some of the current surface lots would be a good incremental start. I like reusing the existing structures as much as possible. I doubt Target would be gotten rid of as long as they are using it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
I always like your posts ahealy! I agree. It seems like getting a better master plan that prioritizes pedestrian uses around a couple of new residential projects that include structured parking to replace some of the current surface lots would be a good incremental start. I like reusing the existing structures as much as possible. I doubt Target would be gotten rid of as long as they are using it.
Thanks, aggie! Right back at ya!

Agree with all of that. there's just too much vision with the mall to not go big on mixing the past with the present--luckily San Antonio does a great job with that!

...And again, those skyline views! I'll try and snap a pic from Oak Hills or Hillcrest this weekend or next.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:47 AM

California company to expand to SA; create 100 jobs downtown

By W. Scott Bailey

SafeRide Health, a California-based health care technology company, plans to expand its operations to Texas and create 100 jobs in downtown San Antonio, pending approval of local incentives.

Company officials said the Alamo City will get, in return for its investment, dozens of high-growth logistics and engineering positions.
“We look forward to joining the downtown San Antonio business community and working to improve the health outcomes for more than 1 million Texans,” said Robbins Schrader, co-founder and CEO of SafeRide Health. “We are thrilled to partner with leading Texas health care providers who entrust SafeRide Health with increasing patient access to care.”

SafeRide is working to transform access to health care for underserved populations with its proprietary technology platform, through which it aims to simplify medical transport, streamline coordination of care and improve patient outcomes.

The company plans to house its San Antonio operations in the Burns Building on East Houston Street.

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said SafeRide will bolster San Antonio’s growing downtown tech community and bring more “impactful jobs” to the city.

SafeRide, a venture-backed firm supported by investors and health care partners, evaluated several cities before choosing San Antonio for its expansion. The company’s Alamo City workforce will support business operations, engineering, member and network services, human resources, finance and information technology.

“SafeRide Health is an exceptional addition to our San Antonio tech community,” San Antonio Economic Development Foundation President and CEO Jenna Saucedo-Herrera said.

SafeRide plans to be fully operational in San Antonio by June 1.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:14 AM

Battle for Space Command headquarters ‘not over’

https://sanantonioreport.org/battle-...ters-not-over/

A recommendation in January by the Air Force to move the U.S. Space Command from its headquarters in Colorado to an Alabama Army post was a surprise to many.

“I thought we had a great shot,” said Maj. Gen. Juan Ayala, director of military and veteran affairs for the City of San Antonio. “The second surprise was that Alabama was picked.”

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:41 AM

Tax breaks for developers under scrutiny in San Antonio, Texas capitol

https://saheron.com/public-facility-...ations-debate/

Texas legislators are considering a handful of bills that would abolish or restrict the use of public facility corporations, or PFCs—a tool intended to create affordable housing, but that has been scrutinized for depriving public entities of millions of dollars in property tax revenue in San Antonio, and other Texas cities.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 5:07 PM

Delivery app expanding HQ to downtown San Antonio

From SABJ
By Jeannette E. Garcia

Boerne-based delivery app Skipcart Corp. is moving its corporate headquarters into downtown San Antonio and expanding, according to a news release from the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.

The company will be at Travis Park Plaza at 213 E. Travis St. It anticipates adding 100 new jobs at its headquarters. Through its crowdsource driver network, Skipcart currently employs tens of thousands of drivers nationwide with more than 4,000 in Bexar County.

Founded in 2018, the company's platform gives grocers, retailers, and restaurants delivery options and is offered in 1,000 cities nationwide, its CEO Ben Jones said.

The company recently closed on $11.54 million in a Series A fundraising round, according to a Jan. 26 document filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

It considered moving to Las Vegas or Salt Lake City for their headquarters expansion, but ultimately decided on San Antonio.

“San Antonio’s growing tech district, the University of Texas at San Antonio’s massive downtown campus expansion, and the Broadway corridor redevelopment aligned with the company’s vision to expand their headquarters where they could hire talented team members and offer them a great place to work and enjoy life,” Jenna Saucedo-Herrera, president & CEO of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, said.

Skipcart is currently hiring software developers, engineers, project managers, data analysts, and other technical positions in addition to roles to support global headquarters operations across functions including human resources, finance, sales, marketing, and operations. It also has planned expansion into the Canadian and Latin American markets, according to the release.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:36 PM

Balcones Heights city leaders shop idea to buy stake in Wonderland mall

https://sanantonioreport.org/balcone...nderland-mall/

“We do have a plan to do a residential component for about 122 market-priced apartments where Denny’s is located,” Weiss said, adding that a new Denny’s restaurant would be incorporated into the development.

But he’s adamant that Wonderland mall is not going to be the next Pearl, the former brewery turned successful culinary and residential development near downtown.

“We’re not trying to do anything different than be a value retail shopping center with a medical component [and] with an entertainment component,” Weiss said.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:

“We do have a plan to do a residential component for about 122 market-priced apartments where Denny’s is located,” Weiss said, adding that a new Denny’s restaurant would be incorporated into the development.

But he’s adamant that Wonderland mall is not going to be the next Pearl, the former brewery turned successful culinary and residential development near downtown.

“We’re not trying to do anything different than be a value retail shopping center with a medical component [and] with an entertainment component,” Weiss said.

If I were them, I'd toss out Denny's and aim to bring the first Waffle House back to the area. That would drive some traffic for a bit

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:

Like I've said before, they have the bones of something amazing at Wonderland. Enhance what is working (the little shops/weirdness charm, value shopping, medical, cinema etc.).

My hope is that this preserves and urbanizes this gem, which I think it will! Forgive me for being in the dark on this, but I really hope they incorporate some sort of master planned transit hub into the whole project...I guess that was on the table back in the late 00's? I recall all my neighbors parking and riding down to the Alamodome in the 90's for Spurs night and would love to see it become something similar in modern times.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 5:59 PM

Latest release from the US Census shows the San Antonio metro population of 8 counties in 2020 at 2,590,732.

San Antonio CSA population for 2020, which adds Frio County, is at 2,611,111.

The entire list hasn't been released yet, but SA probably held on to #24 largest MSA in the country. CSA numbers, we may have moved up to 24 from 25, surpassing Pittsburgh CSA.

All county numbers can be found here

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ies-total.html

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 9:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Latest release from the US Census shows the San Antonio metro population of 8 counties in 2020 at 2,590,732.

San Antonio CSA population for 2020, which adds Frio County, is at 2,611,111.

The entire list hasn't been released yet, but SA probably held on to #24 largest MSA in the country. CSA numbers, we may have moved up to 24 from 25, surpassing Pittsburgh CSA.

All county numbers can be found here

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ies-total.html

Yep. SA's MSA & CSA are both #24, respectively.

*NOTE: These are estimates as of July 1, 2020. The official Census 2020 numbers have yet to be released. Those will be as of April 1, 2020 - thus, a lower tally versus what was released on May 4th. Also, these estimates for July 1, 2020 may change based on the official census numbers.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 9:16 PM

Housing in San Antonio at crossroads with expired downtown incentive policy, new council members elected

https://saheron.com/housing-in-san-antonio-crossroads/

The early 2010s marked a turning point for the City of San Antonio’s housing policies. After declaring the “Decade of Downtown,” former Mayor Julián Castro oversaw the creation of the Center City Housing Incentive Policy, or CCHIP, in 2011, which offered multimillion-dollar incentive packages to developers building housing in the urban core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio