HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 11:43 PM

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown...

Why do we like Chinatown? Or should I say 'Chinatowns.' They're dirty. They're dangerous. They're filled with vice. Huh, I guess I answered my own question.

In an effort to (re)discover some degree of passion for the place I live, I've decided to put more effort into getting to know it. Part of that involves learning the history. Unfortunately, and as I'm sure you can imagine, Vietnamese history is somewhat confusing. I won't get into the whole four-thousand-years-ago-people-migrated-from-Southern-China-to-the-Red-River-Valley thing, so fear not. Let's start with the year 1680, shall we?

It was in that year that Chinese refugees fled China during some sort of dynastic dispute. They, very thoughtfully, approached the King - a certain Mr Nguyen, if you can believe it - and asked permission to settle in his super-awesome country. He said sure and directed them to the newly gifted Cambodian village of Prey Nokor on the site of what is now Ho Chi Minh City. Total bummer for the Cambodians but it was a boon for the Chinese (and later the Vietnamese). They built a great palisaded city devoted to commerce on that land called Tai Ngon (later re-named Saigon). In the late 18th century, however, descendants of these Chinese merchants would pay the ultimate price for their fealty to the King. Yeah, heads got chopped off and stuff as Vietnam went through its own mini-revolution. Anyway, they rebuilt and the rest is history - lots and lots of history.

The following photos are a mere drop in the bucket. Lots of temples. Lots of markets. Lots of colonial shophouse architecture. Unlike its neighbour to the east (Saigon), Chinatown (ie Chợ Lớn - Big Market) appears almost preserved in amber. In disrepair, sure, but charming in its own right. Anywho...

More Vietnam/ Southeast Asia stuff here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:48 AM
Gatinois et fier

all these wires.....

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 1:27 PM

^It's a miracle the lights ever go on let alone the internet.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:57 AM

Good research Dr Awesomesauce. That really is a place with some texture to it

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:23 AM
Registered Drug User

Wonderful tour, thanks very much for this. Hope to see more from you on this theme.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 11:05 AM

More Chinatown

These photos are a lame attempt to capture (with a phone no less!) the architectural heritage of Chinatown, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). Again, the Vietnamese name, Cho Lon, literally means "big" (lớn) "market" (chợ). I believe the locals still refer to the area as Tai Ngon, it's original Chinese moniker.

For those hoping for people pics, I apologise - not my style. All of the following photos are an attempt at capturing the typical Chinese-Vietnamese shophouse which is a vernacular, the shophouse that is, that I'm particularly fond of. They're dusty. They're rusty. They're in desperate need of a scrubbing. But that's part of the charm.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos