HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 9:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Downtown Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

DOWNTOWN CHARLOTTETOWN PHOTOTOUR

Prince Edward Island is one of Canada's three Maritime Provinces, and is by far the smallest province in the federation. PEI is roughly the size of Delaware, is located in the southern reaches of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and is connected to the mainland by a 9 mile bridge across the Northumberland Strait to the neighbouring province of New Brunswick. PEI is pastoral, with about 50% of the land area given over to agriculture. Mixed farming predominates but PEI is renowned for it's potatos. Being an island, the fishing industry is also very important, especially for crustaceans and shellfish (lobsters, mussels and oysters). The population of PEI is 142,000.

Charlottetown is also correspondingly the smallest capital city in Canada. The city proper has a population of 32,000 and the census agglomeration population is about 58,000. Aside from being the provincial capital and the island's chief town, the city is known for being the site of the first confederation conference in 1864, where Britains North American colonies, frightened by Yankee militarism in the Civil War, met to discuss the possibility of a union to create a new nation within the British Empire. The Dominion of Canada was created three years later in 1867. In many ways, Charlottetown is as important to the history of Canada as Philadelphia is to the United States - just a lot smaller!

Charlottetown has maintained a large inventory of historical buildings. This has been quite easy to do as the vast majority of Canada's growth since confederation has been in central Canada and the west. Being on an island, the city was isolated even from it's Maritime neighbours until a bridge was constructed in the 1990's, connecting the island to the mainland. The Confederation Bridge is one of the largest bridges in North America.

I present to you the city I was born in - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, the "Cradle of Confederation"

The Dominion Building (the former federal office building in the city) is being reborn as a mixed use development with condos on the upper floors and commercial/retail space on the ground floor.

Restaurants and cafes along Richmond St. This area is a pedestrian mall next to the Confederation Centre.

Looking down the east side of Queen St. towards the city's waterfront.

A little further up Queen St, near Confederation Court Mall.

The Confedereration Centre of the Arts; the national memorial to the Fathers of Confederation (Canada's founding fathers). The centre contains a large theatre auditorium and is the home of the Charlottetown Festival. This is one of the three largest theatre festivals in the country. The longest running musical in North America is staged at the theatre. "Anne of Green Gables" is based on the book by the same name by L.M. Montgomery, and is set on the island. It is one of the most popular children's books in the world.

Confederation Centre again. The centre was built in 1964 to celebrate the centennial of the Charlottetown Conference. The centre also contains a major art gallery and the city's public library.

Confederation Centre again, with the Holman Grand Hotel and Confederation Court Mall (an enclosed downtown shoping centre) in the background.

Corner of Queen and Kent Street.

The Charlottetown Hotel on Kent St.

Condos on Pownal St.

The Dundee Arms Inn, one of a number of quality small inns in the downtown core. Tourism is very important to the city's (and provinces) economy.

The new federal government building at the corner of University Ave and Fitzroy St.

The Homburg Financial Tower, immediately across Fitzroy St from the new federal building.

Plaza in front of the new federal building. This building is one of the greenest buildings in the country.

The Science and Technology Centre, across University Ave from the federal building.

Alley behind the technology centre. Pretty urban looking for a small city.

Looking west along the south side of Kent St. This shows the north side of the federal Department of Veterans Affairs headquarters building. This is the only federal government department with it's headquarters outside of Ottawa.

Park in front of the provincial legislature building.

The legislature with the provincial cenotaph in the foreground.

The Holman Grand Hotel with restored heritage building facades on Grafton St.

The Department of Veterans Affairs national headquarters on Grafton St.

Looking towards Great George St from the provincial legislature. The legislature is the site where the Charlottetown Conference was held in 1864. Great George St has been designated as a national heritage preservation district. The street is named for King George III.

The front of the legislature with a provincial government office in the background.

Great George St streetscape.

Great George St again. It is this street that the Fathers of Confederation walked every day when they commuted back and forth from the colonial legislature to their ship during the confederation conference in 1864.

Saint Dunstan's Basilica on Great George St.

The Bishops Palace on Great George St.

Water St streetscape, with the Delta Hotel in the background.

Corner of Water St and Queen St.

The Delta Hotel again. There is a new convention centre under construction on the waterfront that will connect to the Delta.

Provincial lawcourts building on Water St.

Charlottetown City Hall in the foreground.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Fantastically charming little city!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

I wouldn't mind living in a smaller city with such fine urban bones. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 3:14 AM

Enjoyable thread!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 4:39 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Delta is everywhere!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 6:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice photos.

Charlottetown has a well-preserved downtown with some important historical buildings. Two of the important buildings in the Charlottetown Conference, the legislature and the lieutenant governor's house, are still there.

Another interesting bit of history happened around the time of the American Revolution. In 1775 Charlottetown was actually attacked by American privateers and PEI's governor was taken prisoner.

Even though Charlottetown is quite small, it's the main town on PEI and it attracts a lot of tourists so it's quite vibrant.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 9:14 AM
Honored Member

It's an attractive and visually interesting town, and your photos are excellent. The narrative adds a lot to the tour.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Nice photos.
Thanks someone

Quote:
Charlottetown has a well-preserved downtown with some important historical buildings. Two of the important buildings in the Charlottetown Conference, the legislature and the lieutenant governor's house, are still there.
I didn't do any photography outside of the immediate core area. The Lieutenant Governor's mansion (Fanningbank) is located on expansive grounds at the entrance to Victoria Park, and overlooks Charlottetown Harbour. It is built in neo-classical style and is widely regarded as the finest vice-regal residence in the nation (except of course for Rideau Hall in Ottawa), even though it is in the smallest province. I'll be going back to Charlottetown later this summer. Perhaps I'll take a few more photos.

Quote:
Another interesting bit of history happened around the time of the American Revolution. In 1775 Charlottetown was actually attacked by American privateers and PEI's governor was taken prisoner.
It was actually the colonial secretary who was captured by the revolutionaries. The colonial seal was also stolen and presumably is lost somewhere in a basement in Massachusetts.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 7:13 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I really enjoyed this tour. Great to see an active, urban smaller city with a wonderful array of buildings. Thanks for sharing your birth-town with us.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 8:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beautiful! :-)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 3:34 AM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 1:34 PM

That brings back some nice memories. I really enjoyed my brief time in Charlottetown and PEI in general. I stayed at a nice inn on Great George street. A charming little city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 4:50 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice work!! Can't recall a Charlottetown thread!! It definately looks larger than it is!!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I hope to get back over to the Island sometime later this summer. I'll try to take some more pictures, probably around Victoria Park, the west end of downtown and the Brighton neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

As a stopgap until my next visit to the Island, I'll leave you with this little phototour of the Holland College campus in the east end of the downtown of the city.

Holland College Charlottetown Campus
or
This is a community college???!!!!

First a bit of a preamble:

Holland College was formerly Prince of Wales College, a Protestant institution where Islanders could complete their last two years of high school and first two years of university. Up until the 1950's, rural Islanders had to board in Charlottetown if they wanted to go beyond grade 10. My sister had to do this. PWC served as the template for the college that the fictional character Anne of Green Gables attended when she got her teaching degree. For a brief period of time in the 1960's, PWC received a university charter and became Prince of Wales University. In 1969, PWC and (the Catholic) St. Dunstan's University were amalgamated and became a secular institution (the University of Prince Edward Island), serving all island residents. For a few years in the early 70's, PWC stayed the downtown campus of UPEI. Subsequently, all programs were relocated to the suburban campus and PWC became the provincial trade and technical school - Holland College.

Because of this history, there was always a stock of university quality buildings on the Holland College campus, but several years ago, the province embarked on an ambitious expansion plan for the college, and the quality of construction for the new buildings has really been impressive.

There is no question that Holland College feels more like a small urban university campus than a community college. Given the quality of the new construction, I have ofter wondered if the goal of the provincial government is to transform Holland College into a technical university.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to post additional photos of Charlottetown sometime in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CHARLOTTETOWN - Waterfront, West End and Victoria Park:

OK, I did get back to the Island on the weekend. It's been a very hot and dry summer here on the east coast of Canada, but it was overcast and showery on Saturday therefore the quality of the photography has suffered somewhat.

Whereas the first contribution to this thread had focussed on the downtown core and the second mini installment had highlighted Holland College, this installment will deal with the waterfront area, as well as one of the oldest residential neighbourhoods in the west end and Victoria Park.

Peake's Quay is at the foot of Great George St, at the landing where the Fathers of Confederation stepped ashore in 1864. It is now a tourist area with a number of shops and restaurants as well as a marina.

Looking back on Peake's Quay with the marina in the foreground. To the left you can see the Delta Hotel and convention centre. The convention space is being expanded, as you can see at the very left of the image.

There are a number of condo developments on the waterfront.

This development is next to the Queen Charlotte Armouries.

This old house is a condo conversion. I always liked this house when I was growing up.

Harbourfront west end, looking towards Victoria Park.

This picture, and the next several are of houses in the west end neighbourhood.

This house is Beaconsfield, the home of the PEI Heritage Foundation.

This is Fanningbank, the vice regal residence of the provincial Lieutenant Governor. In the Canadian system of government, the Lieutenant Governor is the Queen's official representative to the province. Once an act of legislation is passed by the legislature, it is then presented by the Premier to the Lieutenant Governor to be signed (this is called Royal Assent). It is only after being signed by the Lieutenant Governor that the act passes into law.

One of the most famous photos in Canadian history was taken on the steps of Fanningbank. This image shows the assembled Fathers of Confederation during the Charlottetown Conference in 1864. The fellow seated in the centre foreground of the photo is Sir John A. MacDonald, who would go on to become Canada's first Prime Minister.

Looking back towards the west end from Victoria Park.

This is the Fort Edward Battery at the tip of Victoria Park. It overlooks Charlottetown Harbour. I believe is was constructed during the War of 1812. There is a second fort overlooking the harbour (on the opposite side). That fort is called Fort Amherst, and lies at the site of the original French settlement in the three rivers region. The French community was called Port La Joye and was settled in about 1720.

Looking back on the Charlottetown skyline (such as it is) from Fort Edward.

The west end neighbourhood as seen from the park roadway.

These last two pictures are of the main provincial government office complex near the entrance to Victoria Park. To say that they are architecturally uninspiring is truly an understatement. In particular, I have always hated the 1960's concrete brutalism of the main block. I include these photos for completeness sake.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thought I'd bump this thread.

Here are a few pictures of the recently completed convention centre attached to the Delta Hotel on the Charlottetown waterfront.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 3:06 PM

I always liked Charlottetown. Very well done.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM

Utterly charming! Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:33 PM
Gatinois et fier

nice small city.i like the Charlottetown hotel.good job!

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos