HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Hi noirish cronies ! (pardon my english, I'm french, I live in Paris).
I started reading the thread from page one in January (about 3 pages a day). I've just made it to the current page. I knew nearly nothing on L.A. (except from the novels by Raymond Chandler), now I am becoming a scholar ! I guess I could draw by heart by now a map of the old Chinatown/Plaza area and Bunker Hill. I've been eager every day to read not only from vintage L.A. but from this society of similars thinkers with various sensitivities which I hold in high esteem : the hugely inquiring and enthusiastic E_R ; the aesthete GW (more in the « Magnificent Ambersons' » way than in the « Double Indemnity ») ; the detectives Sopas and Gjansen (please come back !) ; the scholars Beaudry and Scott ; the adventurer 3940Dx (Rosslyn Hotel tunnel) ; the family concerned Ninja55 ; the surveyor Fhammon ; the novelist Michael Ryerson ; the passionate newcomer Tovangar2 (who restarts to my delight our favourites Chinatown/Plaza & Bunker Hill) and all the others... Thinking back to those 500 pages, I guess I've found the peak of the spirit of the thread (« not only noirish but everything L.A. » as once the founder said) at Betty Katz by Michael Ryerson (page 491 #9805).
Welcome to 'noirish Los Angeles' AlvaroLegido!
I am amazed that you have been working your way through the thread since last January (almost a year!).
I forget sometimes how enormous this thread has become. Your dedication is admirable.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:53 PM

Los Angeles Times April 5, 1960

I second that welcome, AlvaroLegido.

Jon Proctor
An Air France 707 at the TWA hangar on Avion Drive, 1961

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Russ Columbo was as famous as Bing Crosby and Rudy Vallee in the early Thirties and had a perfect microphone technique (do you agree, Mr Steve Hoffman ?) and an outstanding legato. It's still worth listening to him.

[Quoting Wikipedia]
On September 2, 1934, Columbo was shot under peculiar circumstances by his longtime friend, photographer Lansing Brown while Columbo was visiting him at home. Brown had a collection of firearms and the two men were examining various pieces. Quoting Brown's description of the accident:
« I was absent-mindedly fooling around with one of the guns. It was of a dueling design and works with a cap and trigger. I was pulling back the trigger and clicking it time after time. I had a match in my hand and when I clicked, apparently the match caught in between the hammer and the firing pin. There was an explosion. Russ slid to the side of his chair. »
The ball ricocheted off a nearby table and hit Columbo above the left eye. Surgeons at Good Samaritan Hospital made an unsuccessful attempt to remove the ball from Columbo's brain; he died less than six hours after the shooting. 

Columbo's death was ruled an accident, and Brown exonerated from blame. His funeral mass was attended by numerous Hollywood luminaries, including Bing Crosby and [B]Carole Lombard who was romantically involved with him [B].

AlvaroLegido

Carole Lombard and Russ Columbo were actually engaged to be married when he was shot and killed at age 26
(she was in the process of converting to Catholicism at the time).

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/25...l?thread=43474

below: The handsome couple enjoying a polo match in Santa Monica/Pacific Palisades.

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/25...l?thread=43474

The affair began in 1933, not long after Ms. Lombard divorced William Powell.

http://thedirtythirties.tumblr.com/p...o-their-affair

http://thedirtythirties.tumblr.com/p...o-their-affair

Not only did Russ Columbo have a hauntingly beautiful voice, he had a rather impressive physique.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RUSS...10959262596%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RUSS...10959262596%26

Russ Columbo studio portrait. Rumor has it, they both preferred to sleep in the nude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Columbo

__

Alas, a bullet to the brain ends the hopes and dreams of Ms. Lombard & Mr. Columbo.

http://carolelombard.org/gallery/dis...album=51&pos=8

The crypt directly below Mr. Columbo's, intended for Ms. Lombard, remains empty to this day.

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/2514.html

So where did Ms. Lombard end up?

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/7511.html

Just down the hall from Russ Columbo. This is so very sad to me.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 1:17 AM

Colonial Corners - Barrington & National

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

According to the Westdale Homeowners' Association,

"At Barrington and National was Paul J. Howard's Flowerland Nursery. It was a huge and beautiful nursery. Mr. Howard had moved his nursery from 3rd and La Brea to this location as he felt there was a great future here in the outskirts of Los Angeles.... 'Colonial Corners' was the name given to the intersection of National and Barrington when Howard's Nursery started in 1940.

Meanwhile, back at 3rd and La Brea... after Howard's nursey decamped, it sounds like there might have been some temporary uses during the war and postwar years such as a "public hiring hall" in 1949. And then...

LAT March 28, 1952

All illustrations aside from first: Los Angeles Times
Thx so much again GW. The info on Colonial Corners was most welcome. I had previously thought the 1947 Trousdale homes were built in bean fields. Colonial Corners is still a landmark in West LA. The 1950's federal-style buildings were built on all four corners of Barrington and National. Three are left:

oakesarchitects.com

And I'm assuming Paul J. Howard was also the noted landscape architect who designed gardens for Ambassador College and Rancho Los Alamitos.

Thank you too for the ad with the rendering of Vaugh's Buick. Breathtaking. I'd give something to have that back.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

The PC LAPD

L.A. police change their paddy wagon to party wagon Irish groups complained about ethnic slur

March 16, 1997|By LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

Still grappling with life in an increasingly politically correct society, Los Angeles police said they will rename the "Paddy Wagon" program that offers free rides home for St. Patrick's Day tipplers.

This year, tipsy celebrants can pile into the LAPD-sponsored "Party Wagon," renamed because of objections to the word "paddy."

"We received calls from groups in the Irish community who said: 'That's really not a nice word,' " said LAPD Cmdr.

Paddy Wagon

The word paddy wagon is of American origin. The precise origin of the term is uncertain and disputed, though its use dates back to at least the beginning of the 1900s. There are at least two theories as how the phrase originated.

The most prevalent theory is based on the term "Paddy" (a common Irish shortening of Patrick), which was used ( often as derogatory slang) to refer to Irish people. Irishmen made up a large percentage of the officers of early police forces in many American cities. Thus, this theory suggests that the concentration of Irish in the police forces led to the term "paddy wagon" being used to describe the vehicles driven by police.
An alternative theory is similarly based on the term "Paddy" but states that the term arose due to the high crime level among Irish immigrants.Wikipedia
The correct name for the wagon was Padded Wagon then morphed to Paddy Wagon. If you have ever been in a Paddy Wagon (hope not), even a modern one on modern roads you will understand why they padded them in the early 1900's. I remember an Irish music program host named Tom McConvil spotting about the terrible use of Paddy on his program. It had nothing to do with Irish Cops. I come from a long line of Irish Cops and never heard the term referred to Irish.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Carole Lombard and Russ Columbo were actually engaged to be married when he was shot and killed at age 26
(she was in the process of converting to Catholicism at the time).
Not only did Russ Columbo have a hauntingly beautiful voice, he had a rather impressive physique.
Russ Columbo studio portrait. Rumor has it, they both preferred to sleep in the nude.
Alas, a bullet to the brain ends the hopes and dreams of Ms. Lombard & Mr. Columbo.

The crypt directly below Mr. Columbo's, intended for Ms. Lombard, remains empty to this day.
Just down the hall from Russ Columbo. This is so very sad to me.

__
Here is the Handcock Park home where Russ was 'accidentally' shot in the head by Lansing Brown. Brown served in the military during World War II as a photography instructor. He died of a stroke at the West Los Angeles Veterans Administration Hospital.

On Sept. 2, 1934 Russ Columbo left his home on Outpost Circle Drive to visit his friend, “Lansa,” photographer Lansing Brown, age 34. Brown resided at the home on 584 N. Lillian Way with his parents. Lansa's father was in the back part of the home whilst Lansa was entertaining his friend Russ in the den which is in the front of the house. While in the midst of a casual conversation in the front room or den of the house, Lansing, sitting at a desk, struck a match on a pair of Civil War-era dueling pistols. Lansing was a collector of such armaments and, unbeknownst to him, ignited a long forgotten shot which ricocheted off a nearby cabinet and struck Columbo in the right eye killing him instantly. He was taken first to Hollywood Receiving Hospital, then transferred to the Hospital of the Good Samaritan.

The time was 1:45 PM. The question is, who was 'Lansa' Brown [August 24, 1900 – February 16, 1962] and why was Lansa playing around with an antique gun? There is a rumor that loud voices were heard by a servant coming from the den just prior to the shot. There is something 'noir about this.

I'd like to know more about photographer Lansa Brown Jr., the young man with the gun.

Lansing Brown in later years. He was known for photo portrait work for the studios.

Last edited by DouglasUrantia; Dec 9, 2012 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:22 AM

Thank you, GW, for getting to the bottom of my little mystery at 3rd and La Brea as I knew you would!

Back to more Vintage Los Angeles finds......here's Franklin and Radio Streets in Los Feliz looking west in 1938:

Cahuenga Pass some time in the 1940s:

Family on Vine in the '50s:

Looking towards Hollywood and Vine from a rooftop:

Ventura near Laurel Canyon Blvd in 1962:

Girl, car, deco sculpture at the Hollywood Bowl, 1941:

Here's a set of shots taken from the tower at Wilshire and Stoner in Brentwood in April 1963....looking east towards Westwood and UCLA:

The Veterans Campus:

Looking north:

Santa Monica:

And looking down from the tower:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:29 AM

And more Christmas scenes from VLA, starting with this wonderful shot of Flower Street in 1928:

Broadway and 7th...check out the ghosts!

Exposition Park all lit up in 1932:

Hollywood Boulevard in 1948:

Close-up of the old metal Christmas trees:

The Santa Claus Lane parade in 1950:

And from the street in 1952:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
665 or 655 S. La Brea - Braverman Bros?

April 17, 1951 (or was it the 19th?) people converge on Braverman's window to view Gen. Macarthur on TV. (Or this is what happened when one of the Ivar's "entertainers" got lost on the way to work.)

USC Digital

++++++++++

Remember to park at Tilford's! Try the "Broadbill Swordfish Saute," it's the Radio Special, after 4 PM!
Ebay

Credit goes to GW and ER. From: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6842
Thought the Braverman Bros photos were wonderful - especially given the recent focus on this area of La Brea. Now many of the USC Digital photo links are no more. Wish I knew how to retrieve 'em. Can't locate the same photos using their revamped site.

1978 5301 Wilshire Boulevard. The former Tilsons becomes the former Aames
lapl

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:40 AM

^ love the token balustrade they threw up on the old Tilfords.

And if I could make a quick public address, I'd like to once again say that Vintage Los Angeles on Facebook is an amazing resource for old pics of our beloved town. It's now up to over 50,000 followers and at this point people are contributing 50+ pictures a day to the site, almost all of them being original, unseen shots.

For instance, everything you see here was uploaded in the last 16 hours:

It should be noted that the focus there is less on noir and architecture and more on the baby boom years, but that doesn't mean the pictures and recollections (TONS of firsthand stories! Way more than here) are any less compelling.

And I say all this because I think the audience here is a bit older and perhaps a bit less inclined to get involved in the world of Facebook, and to that I would say don't be afraid! Sign up if for nothing else than to "Like" Vintage Los Angeles and soak up all the wonderful memories being shared there. I'll step off my soap box now

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
But looking at the earliest footage available, this 1948 shot shows what appears to be a decent-sized park on this block?

It was gone by 1952...anyone know what that was?
Thanks for this image and your recent color finds!

The manicured outdoor space is interesting. The landscaped configuration struck me as being a memorial. I thought it would be depicted on period maps, but it seems to have been omitted (due to strategic significance?) or I haven't found the right map - yet.

This 1940 aerial shows a dark rectangular image that appears to be the same 200 block of La Brea. Whatever it was, this image suggests lots of foliage.
Lapl

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:59 AM

Lynn Bracken /Lansing Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasUrantia View Post
Here is the Hancock Park home where Russ was 'accidentally' shot in the head by Lansing Brown.

There is something 'noir about this.
Coincidentally, the Brown house is just a couple of blocks from Lynn Bracken's
L.A. Confidential home, played by 501 Wilcox Avenue:

it'sfilmedthere.com

They're both in that odd, little isolated enclave surrounded on two sides by the Wilshire Country Club,
pretty much capped on the north by the LA Tennis Club and hidden behind the long line of apartment houses on Rossmore.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:17 AM

Here is a rare view of the Santa Fe Station from across a flooded Los Angeles River

ebay

I would love to know the story behind the excised person.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 9, 2012 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 6:47 AM

Flower at 7th

Quote:
And more Christmas scenes from VLA, starting with this wonderful shot of Flower Street in 1928:
Thx, this one's a beaut. Flower at 7th looking south with the Barker Bros Bldg on the right. The older building Martz Flats on the near left is great, much better than the Broadway (now Macy's) Plaza's blank wall we have now (there were many 19th century bits throughout DTLA right through the 70's. Mostly gone now.) The little two-story, frame house beyond Barker Bros. looks very brave but doomed. The Ritz Hotel is still with us, but not much else. Bit of a wasteland now of empty lots and parking structures.

The base of Barker Bros (Curlett & Beelman, 1925) is so similar to the Roosevelt Building (Curlett & Beelman, 1926), diagonally across the intersection, that I got turned around for a moment.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 8:59 AM

Triangle/MGM/Lorimar signage

A shot of the Triangle Studios signage:

SPE

Long shot of Triangle signage:

SPE

The first of many (although I've never seen the "Goldwyn Pictures" or "Metro-Goldwyn" signage. Dunno if they had rooftop signs)

LAT

The Aitkrn Bros started Triangle and brought in Ince, Griffith & Sennett as their producers & partners. Griffith & Sennett worked at other locations. Griffith at Christie on Sunset & Gower in Hollywood and Sennett at Keystone, Edendale. Only Ince, of the three, worked on the Triangle lot in Culver City.

Christie Studios:

eBay

Keystone Studios, Edendale

hollywoodphotographs.com

P.S.
Metro Pictures rooftop sign, 1918, 846 N Cahuenga, Hollywood

johnnydeppzone.com.com

Goldwyn Pictures logo, 1917:

tunblr

Metro Goldwyn logo, 1924:

alexanderaustin79/flickr

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 14, 2012 at 5:58 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you, GW, for getting to the bottom of my little mystery at 3rd and La Brea as I knew you would!

Back to more Vintage Los iAngeles finds......here's Franklin and Radio Streets in Los Feliz looking west in 1938:

GoogleSV

There are indeed a lot of fantastic random snapshots on the VLA page but, unfortunately, I have to say, not a lot of context and little chance for discussion. The b&w photo in the quote above is a Herman Schultheis shot from the LAPL (not sure why we struggle with photo credits here, even to include links, when there is rarely anything ever credited on facebook). I look at facebook occasionally but would never have a page under my own name... not that I'm the least bit interesting, but I have to say, I've never met an interesting facebook devotee, of any age--(what is this weird, insecure obsession with "likes"?) Although they do serve the purpose of making me feel as though I'm not the one with too much time on his hands.... ok, I'm done.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM. Reason: To restore link

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:25 PM

Oh my, this looks like a good neighborhood for me to explore--maybe today? I wanna walk up and down those stairs. This is just east of what is now called the Prospect Studios on Talmadge Street, where ABC's former west coast studios/headquarters was (they moved to Glendale in 1999). Of course this studio was built in 1915 as the Vitagraph Studio; you can see it there in the 1938 photo.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
A few blocks west of 3rd and La Brea is a building with a most interesting rooftop decoration. To my uneducated eye it smacks of Zig Zag. 5873 W. 3rd Street A directory search suggests the location was used for many years by Pride Laundry. Building has look similar to those on La Brea.

google

Trying to work with USC's latest digital library. Can't make out the rooftop decoration, but subject building appears in this aerial image marked '57. (Because the image also includes a fully built Lee Tower, one suspects the photo is probably from a later date.)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/3727

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:14 PM

wow a color shot of uni! what you see is the old shop areas of uni,the lower field and the girls gym.whats out of the shot is the "classroom building" or as some of the older teachers called it "the new building".Ive never seen this view of uni ever..not even in older yearbooks!sometime after the sylmar earthquake they tore down a bunch of building including this one.thanks again!

And looking down from the tower:

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
A little history of the northeast corner of 3rd and La Brea...

Historic Map Works

LAT Dec 30, 1923

LAT Nov 6, 1932
Similar ads appeared through 1939.

Meanwhile, back at 3rd and La Brea... after Howard's nursey decamped, it sounds like there might have been some temporary uses during the war and postwar years such as a "public hiring hall" in 1949. And then...

LAT March 28, 1952

Which was taken over by Irv White, who owned Beverly Buick (see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7523)...

LAT
Which, as we've seen, gave way to the bigger Ralphs...
All illustrations aside from first: Los Angeles Times
Third and La Brea Intersection, probably later than 1957 (see previous post). It looks as though the '60s Ralph's is non-existent or mostly parking lot, probably for the Buick dealership. (Tangentially, I noticed there was a Buick dealer on the S. 600 Block in '42.) To the immediate left of the building now occupied by Trader Joe's in an interesting structure that resembles som many of the other open front markets of the '30s, e.g., the "La Brea Food Spot". From what I can tell the location is now a parking lot.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/3727

435 N. La Brea 1940

<a href='http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15799coll65/id/2229'>Exterior view of La Brea Food Spot from across the street, ca.1940</a>

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos