HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 7:02 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^Yeah, I can see that. Minus the awesome talls, the view is similar to the one in Austin from say, Lou Neff Point or there abouts.
Yes would for Austin to have at least one supertall one day.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:42 PM
World Traveler

I'm okay with a supertall.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
This view of Philadelphia reminds me of Austin...

I can see that too. Very cool. Even the river. As far as a supertall, one day there will be an announcement regarding an office building 70 stories tall, 850 footer, the date... 2000 and never. Btw, why do the call each floor a story? Had a long day and I'm too tired and lazy to research the answer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
^^ I'm not having that problem. I have the "paid" photobucket as opposed to the "free" photobucket if that makes a difference.
Yeah, I'm using the freebie version which has become much worse than a click bait site for ads. One recent login showed 48 blocked adds when using AdBlocker.
I also think I was hacked because my user name was changed even though my email address and pass word were not changed. It's Imgur for me now on. I had 500 photos on Photobucket that I'm now abandoning.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 12:26 AM
Resident Moron

Anyone here know the password to Red Headed Stepchild?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Anyone here know the password to Red Headed Stepchild?
There's a somewhat humorous thread about that on Reddit. But they don't have this week's (or apparently any week's legitimate) password posted.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:55 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There's a somewhat humorous thread about that on Reddit. But they don't have this week's (or apparently any week's legitimate) password posted.
It's so dumb.

I thought it was like a 'find the clue on our website game's and it turned out to be ' were all jerks' instead.

I lived in NYC. No super hot speakeasy there was literally just an insider's club.

The issue is I have a friend coming to town and she wants to go this week. Thank Eater

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 1:52 AM

As seen on Streetview...

This is the entrance to Samsung off of Parmer. Apparently Samsung's employees smoking area is quite a hike.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 2:27 AM

I drive by the Dell campus off Louis Henna every day and thought the smokers there had a long walk. I smoke and I don't think I would do the walk of shame so I get why they do this. But I still think it totally sucks that its so frowned upon that there is no attempt to accommodate smokers other than telling them if they want to smoke, they have to leave the premises. And it doesn't look good to see a group of smokers relegated to the outskirts of the property for the world to see.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I drive by the Dell campus off Louis Henna every day and thought the smokers there had a long walk. I smoke and I don't think I would do the walk of shame so I get why they do this. But I still think it totally sucks that its so frowned upon that there is no attempt to accommodate smokers other than telling them if they want to smoke, they have to leave the premises. And it doesn't look good to see a group of smokers relegated to the outskirts of the property for the world to see.
Why should they be accommodated when they cost the company a massive amount of money, via health costs?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Why should they be accommodated when they cost the company a massive amount of money, via health costs?
Yeah, I don't have a comeback to your point. And many companies do offer to pay for programs to help their employees who do smoke, quit. I guess that's accommodating enough.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 10:51 PM
Meh

The city is planning a bond type initiative that will help buy music venues in Austin to preserve them. This will come at no cost to taxpayers.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...nues-10m-fund/
Quote:
Mayor announces plan to protect Austin music venues through $10M fund

By JJ Velasquez
September 22, 2016

Iconic Austin music venues will be purchased and preserved through a city trust, which Mayor Steve Adler’s office announced today has been made possible after the city won a national contest.

The city was among five public entities announced today as winners of the Neighborly Bonds Challenge. Winning the contest provides the city with legal, administrative, marketing and other support services for free or at reduced rates. These services would have cost $100,000.

“This is going to give us an opportunity to try something that really has never been tried anywhere else,” Adler said. “This is going to give us the support we need to try to crowdsource in our community a $10 million fund to … help preserve some of our music venues.”

Adler clarified that the fund does not create a tax on Austin residents but would crowdsource funding for investing in music venues and making it more affordable to sustain them.
-

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ic-venues.html
Quote:
Austin to create $10M fund to preserve music venues

Sep 22, 2016, 10:46am CDT Updated Sep 22, 2016, 2:16pm CDT

Michael Theis
Staff writer
Austin Business Journal

Austin plans to create a $10 million investment vehicle to buy or preserve music venues, but no taxpayer money will be involved, according to Mayor Steve Adler.

Calling it a "minibond" plan to save Austin music venues, Adler announced during Thursday's City Council meeting that Austin was selected as one of five winners of the "Neighborly Bonds Challenge," a competition to find public agencies, such as city governments, with deserving proposals for investment on local projects.

“In any sector, this kind of rapid job loss would be troubling — particularly when struggling businesses point to a chaotic regulatory system and weak public policy as proximate causes, as we saw in the census. It’s clear that it’s time for city leadership to act," Bobby Garza, chairman of the AMP board, said at the time.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 12:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Heard about this on the radio on my way to work today. It's an interesting idea. Don't know how effective it'll be. It won't really help the actual artists, who are being pushed out to the surrounding communities because they can't afford to call Austin home anymore.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 5:21 AM

That is a decent idea. Now the city needs to promote more density to increase the housing supply to help bring down housing costs.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 10:44 PM
World Traveler

Agreed.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 4:12 AM
Meh

William Shatner was at the Paramount Theater on Friday for a showing of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. He's in town for Comic-Con at the convention center until Sunday.

I got some video of him, too, but someone else got his whole speech.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:58 PM

If anyone is in the Warehouse District (3rd & Colorado) on 10/09, be on the look out for two temporary water towers being used for simulating rain. Apparently an actor needs to be rained upon for an Android commercial.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11610799

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
If anyone is in the Warehouse District (3rd & Colorado) on 10/09, be on the look out for two temporary water towers being used for simulating rain. Apparently an actor needs to be rained upon for an Android commercial.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11610799
Interesting...probably for the new phone they announced yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:08 PM

This guy apparently was not selling enough snow cones:

http://kxan.com/2016/10/14/police-lo...-on-guadalupe/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 9:12 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Trump does not own most of the hotels that bear his name. He licenses his name to owners and often ends up operating the hotel through his hotel management company. Highly unlikely that Trump or Trump children will finance and build a hotel property in Austin. Given recent developments it also seems unlikely that there will be a hotel in Austin bearing the Trump brand which is has become somewhat toxic in today's hotel marketplace. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifer.../#2cacfdf7414f
I would not set foot in a Trump hotel. No that brand name would be very unwelcome here in Austin by the vast majority of the population. We are a deep blue stronghold and always have been. Not like he's a good bisnessman anyways. Oh and his rhetoric continues to clash with his actions.

Anywho, I'm not so sure we will be seeing many more large hotels when we are losing conventions like Dell...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin