HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:35 PM
ML Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
B gates? What airline? I thought they got rid of taxiing?
Oops didn't see this before. I think it was American. They shuttled us from the plane to the currently northeastern-most gate in concourse B.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
They should build the tunnel to C now even though they likely won’t open it to the public or put in a train for a decade or more (I say that sadly. I really hope they do earlier). This would be in keeping with their MO — like they did with the service tunnel for the B gates originally. It sets them up for the future. I just don’t see the demand being there for a C now, unless another airline besides delta decided to base their hub in Salt Lake. That’d be awesome but not holding my breath.

I think the next thing going in besides phases 3&4 are additions to the parking garage, which should have been done at the start.
I doubt it. I knew parking garage is always full. There’s no parking space. Lots of people are flying out. Still have more room for that. I am sure they will built it up and bring more parking space for them.

And for concourse C, I think they will bring more gates space for other airlines, but not for Delta. Delta will takeover the entire concourse A and B. Other airlines will move to the entire concourse C. Southwest Airlines wants more gates and other airlines will come to SLC in the near future. Once the construction is complete it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:01 AM
Exit 298

With the "C" gates as inevitability, let's start speculating on the "D" concourse next!

I won't feel satisfied until SLC basically matches Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:35 PM

New Airport news plus we have an early time frame for Concourse C:

Finally, non-Delta customers will get a club at SLC airport
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/03/...ustomers-will/

Quote:
The Salt Lake City International Airport has plans to install a 6,700-square-foot space on concourse B that will house a new club for United Airlines. The club will be part of a 16-gate expansion slated to open in coming years and will be located at the far-east end of the concourse, where the Chicago-based airline will operate five gates.
Quote:
United did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment. The company also did not respond to questions about when the club will open or what it will offer. For their part, airport officials expect the club to open in October 2026, when the gate expansion is due for completion.
Quote:
The 16-gate eastern expansion of concourse B that will feature the new United club will mark the airport’s final phase of passenger-facing growth before officials embark on building an entirely new C concourse.
Looks like work for Concourse C should start in late 2026 or early 2027. That would have the work completed prior to the 2034 Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:40 PM

Concourse C will not be started in 2026 or 2027, or even 10 years after that, so let's nip that in the bud.

The United Club will part of the Concourse B expansion that is currently underway.

The only thing someone could possibly construe as Concourse C-related is around that 2026/2027 time frame they will be prepping the future tunnel extension after Concourse B is complete.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:46 AM
Lahaina Strong

Since we're still on the topic of concourse c, the closure of a b-gate to facilitate construction has been removed from the phasing in recent materials:

I don't think a lot of people realize how big SLC will be with just A&B, 94 gates is huge. Really the only way C could happen is if another airline opened a hub here, which isn't likely. The whole point of building the remainder of Concourse B is to keep the airport from having to expand for a while.

The goal of the present reconstruction and expansion of the airport is to reach a point where further expansion is unneeded for the indefinite future. The airport master plan covers the topic well when it points out that even if growth occurs more rapidly than expected the present airport facilities will have reached midlife before C is needed. The point of the expanded airport project is to break the cycle of finishing one project and having to immediately start on another.

I don't believe the airport will grow rapidly forever, finite growth is natural. As times change we'll see more alternate modes of transportation, our 2020 terminal and Concourses A&B will be adequate and sufficient for a changing world while providing ample room to grow. I'm proud of our airport and hope the present facilities outlive me, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it'll grow forever.

Quote:
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. - Edward Abbey

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:01 AM

Quote:

I don't think a lot of people realize how big SLC will be with just A&B, 94 gates is huge. Really the only way C could happen is if another airline opened a hub here, which isn't likely. The whole point of building the remainder of Concourse B is to keep the airport from having to expand for a while.
I was a bit surprised to learn about the United Club. I would think they would have to expand their presence a bit to make it worth that. Denver is their hub already so it wouldn't be a hub, though.

The only airline I could see opening a hub is Jet Blue given they don't have a western hub but they are in a bit of turmoil right now w/the Spirit merger falling apart and are losing a lot of money. So they are focused on other things. But maybe they wanted Spirit because of the large Vegas presence so maybe they want a western presence. Who knows.

That being said, I do think they need to do the tunnel for C to prep for the future. And I also think they should just do the train now. I understand the issue with the short length. There are pluses and minuses. But it's just going to be more expensive later. BTW, if you read the board minutes for march there are multiple discussions about Concourse C. https://slcairport.com/assets/pdfDoc...4AABPacket.pdf. More than I expected there would be.

Last edited by mattreedah; Mar 22, 2024 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I was a bit surprised to learn about the United Club. I would think they would have to expand their presence a bit to make it worth that. Denver is their hub already so it wouldn't be a hub, though.
There are multiple non hub airports with similar United presence as SLC that have United clubs... New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Austin, San Antonio...

SLC needs more clubs, especially 3rd party clubs.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:40 PM

Agreed that unless there's major shake-up that brings another airline's hub to SLC, nothing more than prerequisite ground work to set the stage for a possible need 20-30 years from now will be done in the "near" future (i.e. addition of new taxiways, tunnel extension, and slow relocation of facilities in the footprint of a hypothetical Concourse C as their useful life comes to an end).

As to the third party lounge, there has been reference to "third party" and "common use" lounge space in Phase 4 throughout the various board meetings, so that may certainly be a reality in the next few years.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:01 AM

What airlines would potentially be candidates for another hub in SLC? Completely speculative, of course. It seems like Denver has been more popular and I imagine if Las Vegas ever gets their second airport there would be a lot of open space there

My dream would be JetBlue randomly deciding to setup shop in SLC for major western expansion but I know it's not even in the realm of possibility. Maybe Alaska way down the line?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:20 AM

I think a second airline hub would be more then unlikely
I think I remember reading something about how Delta likes to build their hubs in smaller markets where they can own most of the traffic from that market. A second airline would basically be declaring war on Delta (the second largest airline in the world) over a midsize market.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
A second airline would basically be declaring war on Delta (the second largest airline in the world) over a midsize market.
And we've seen how that goes when airlines try to pick a fight - most recent example is Hawaiian Airlines adding a SLC-HNL route, to which Delta retaliated with a second daily nonstop to basically drive profitability into the ground and run them out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
What airlines would potentially be candidates for another hub in SLC? Completely speculative, of course. It seems like Denver has been more popular and I imagine if Las Vegas ever gets their second airport there would be a lot of open space there

My dream would be JetBlue randomly deciding to setup shop in SLC for major western expansion but I know it's not even in the realm of possibility. Maybe Alaska way down the line?
They both tried SLC focus city and it wasn’t working out for them. It did not help either. That’s from the past. Let’s not forget about this. I doubt they will ever reconsider it again in the future. Once the new concourse B East construction is complete it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post

JetBlue just dropped SLC-MCO and FLL, so now they only have three flights from SLC a day.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 9:33 PM

I could see airlines with more of a presence, especially Southwest, but no, I don't think another hub is doable.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
JetBlue just dropped SLC-MCO and FLL, so now they only have three flights from SLC a day.
Right! Only JFK and BOS just for now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
February 2024 Continued

Feb 2024 - North Concourse East and Midfield Tunnel Looking SW

Feb 2024 - ARP Aerial North Concourse East Sect G Looking South

North Concourse E - L1 Sect J Bag Makeup

Tunnel terrazzo grind-grout-polish

North Concourse East L2 Sect G Wall Scaffold

Photos By: https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Beautiful work!! Getting there!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West